New From Fobus: CH Rapid Release Retention Holster

courtesy fobus.com

If you’re reading a post here about a new value-priced holster, you’re probably a regular reader. Or maybe you were just misdirected to TTAG while browsing insurance options at healthcare.gov by their laughably kludgy code – who the hell knows? However you got here, you can probably see the utility, at least for some people, in a retention holster. Preventing someone else from grabbing your heater away from you is what Martha Stewart calls a good thing. Of course, attention must be paid to design and ergonomics, Tex. From their press release (after the jump), Fobus seems to have taken digit placement to heart, going out of their way to point out that their new wonder rig keeps your trigger finger safely along the frame when you draw. We’ve requested one to test for ourselves, so when we know, you will too . . .

BENSALEM, PA  (October 2013) –  Fobus Holster proudly presents their newest lightweight polymer holster; the CH Rapid Release System Holster, now available for many popular GLOCK (GLCH) and H&K (HKCH) handguns.

The CH holster provides Level 2 Retention while allowing virtually unhampered presentation of the pistol.  This is accomplished by incorporating a releasing paddle that is activated by the index finger of the user without need to alter the draw stroke.

Simply slide the index finger upward across the paddle while executing your natural draw and the retention mechanism within the trigger guard is instantly released.  Additionally, the releasing paddle has been located on the holster so that continuation of the draw naturally positions the index finger alongside the slide/frame, well above the trigger.

As with any new equipment, practicing to attain the proficiency that is possible with the CH holster is a reality that cannot be overlooked.  This is especially critical if this, or any product, is to be employed in a tactical or self-defense situation.

CH series holsters for the S&W M&P (SWCH), Springfield XD (XDCH), Berretta PX4 Storm (BRCH), and Taurus PT 24/7 G1 (TACH) will be released in 2014.

The MSRP for the new Fobus CH Rapid Release Holster System for GLOCK and H&K handguns is $39.99.

comments

1. avatar DJ9 says:

A serpa by any other name, still smells like poop.

Er, I mean, another “solution” in search of a problem.

1. avatar vioshi says:

I’ve heard a lot of people complain about the index problem. The real solution is practice/training.

I think it’s a non-existant problem that found a solution.

2. avatar Frank says:

You clearly don’t understand the benefit to a retention holster.

1. avatar DJ9 says:

Frank, you’d have to try really, really hard to be more wrong.

But don’t let that stop you from making any more assumptions.

1. avatar Frank says:

Then please elaborate on your original statement.

2. Safariland ALS is the better alternative.

2. avatar Marlon Jackson says:

Given that it’s from Fobus I would not expect much out of it.

3. avatar pwrserge says:

Honestly… It looks like a tacticooled out BLACKHAWK! ripoff… What’s the differentiation?

4. avatar JB says:

Meh, I liked my original Fobus, but then I learned there was much much better. Still, for a first holster, they aren’t truly bad. They do the job.

5. avatar AlphaGeek says:

Looks like an improvement, but no matter what they do people of the gun will still make fun of you for running a Fobus.

At least Fobus owners can look down on the folks running $7 Uncle Mikes generic nylon holsters…

1. avatar Swarf says:

I use an Uncle Mike’s leg holster that I Mexican carry off-body.

1. avatar AlphaGeek says:

You jest, but there actually was a guy running a raggedy Uncle Mike’s holster on a drop-leg rig at last week’s Costa Ludus carbine course. He, um, did not get glowing positive feedback for his gear selection… but on the other hand, his pistol stayed in the holster even when we were stampeding up and down the range.

2. avatar Pulatso says:

I use an Uncle Mike’s IWB to carry my Taurus, I imagine I would get sneered at on both counts.

6. avatar Jason says:

I have an iTac defense holster that looks almost identical to this. I haven’t been happy with Fobus products but I like the iTac.

7. avatar PeterC says:

Now we have holster snobs? People, can’t we all just get along?

1. avatar Hank says:

Ha. +1

There are snobs for everything under the sun.

2. avatar paultmccain says:

Yup, apparently. Doesn’t matter what anyone posts about something related to firearms, there’s always a few of “those guys” who feel a need to trash it. Ridiculous.

8. avatar ST says:

Do not want.

Just look at the guns they’re making it for initially.Tells you exactly which demographic they’re aiming for, and it’s not the LE market.

1. avatar AlphaGeek says:

LOLWUT?

Glock and HK are both heavily focused on the LE/mil market. Glock has something like 60% market share in LE.

1. avatar ST says:

Read fail on me.I was reading the end,not the part about Glock and HK.

9. avatar NDS says:

Fobus makes borderline dangerous products. Good call on having the retention release high along the frame though, also it looks harder to jam the release with debris but it’s hard to tell from just one photo.

10. avatar Gregolas says:

Does Fobus make non-paddle holsters? Paddles are too sweaty/hot down here in the south.

11. avatar Federale says:

Well, I will have to changing my drawstroke, as my index finger is indexed parallel to the trigger when drawing. Of course, the index finger only goes into the trigger guard when I have decided to fire.

12. avatar Swarf says:

Great, now I have Martha Stewart’s web site in my browser history.

1. avatar Clay says:

turn in your card!

13. avatar Alpo says:

And what’s wrong a with a good ole thumb break holster.

Made out of leather.

Holding your revolver…?

14. avatar Brian says:

I actually like my two Fobuses. Fobuses? Fobi?. They’re great for a day they range when I don’t want to be taking my belt halfway off. I’ve never used it for carrying (I have a Crossbreed for that), but I don’t dress in such a way as to carry outside the waist band.

1. I believe that’s read: faux paux

15. avatar Morris says:

So if everyone thinks this sucks does anyone have a suggestion for a retention holster that fits and HK45C, not a duty holster but something you can wear under a suit jacket etc. The goal is to not be super vulnerable to a snatch and grab if you take your coat off.

1. avatar NDS says:

Raven? Not active retention but low profile and good luck to someone trying to snatch your weapon.

2. avatar AlphaGeek says:

I’ll second the Raven suggestion. The Blade-Tech Nano AIWB should also be on your list.

16. avatar Jake_in_AK says:

Dunno… I still like my Blackhawk Serpa holsters… (Cue hate in three, two, one)
    I know a lot of people don’t like them- that’s fine.
    I’ve never experienced a draw that put my booger hook inside the bang switch guard.
    For me, it always aligned my finger outside the trigger guard.
    Have a Serpa for my 1911, my XD, and my Glock.
    Meh.

17. avatar SteveInCO says:

Still nothing for a CZ, other than a Fobus paddle without the Serpa-esque feature.

18. We have created several videos so you can better judge if this holster fits your needs.

The CH series is available with our modular Roto option so you can utilize our belt slide, paddle, shoulder rig, and thigh rig.

Please feel free to contact us with any questions,

Fobus Holsters