DoubleTap Adds .410/.45 Colt and .40 S&W

If you’re one of the many who’ve bought a DoubleTap Defense tactical pocket pistol and think shooting a couple of parabellums or .45s from a small package is the bee’s knees, you’re gonna love their latest. The St. Louis, Missouri, USA, Earth pistol innovator just announced the addition of two new calibers; .410/.45 Colt and .40 S&W. That broadens their caliber options to four in your choice of either titanium or aluminum. Press release after the jump . . .

ST. LOUIS, MO (October 2013)DoubleTap Defense, LLC, a firearms design and manufacturing company, announces the addition of new calibers for the patented DoubleTap™ Tactical Pocket Pistol to include the .410/.45 Colt and the .40 S&W. DoubleTap Defense will unveil the new calibers at the 2013 NASGW Expo & 40th Annual Meeting in Grapevine, Texas.

The new .410/.45 Colt and .40 S&W calibers will beavailable in the DoubleTap™ pistol model and as a Barrel Conversion Kit. The new .410/.45 Colt caliber for a 2.5-inch cartridge has become a popular self-defense and home protection cartridge readily available and affordable for the average citizen. The new calibers expand the variety of ammunition that can be used on the aluminum or titanium 5/8″ slim, no-snag frame and allow customers a greater choice in preferred ammo usage for their personal protection.

DoubleTap Tactical Pocket Pistol .410/.45 Colt and .40 S&W MSRP:

.410/.45 Colt .40 S&W .410/.45 Colt .40 S&W
Frame: Titanium Titanium Aluminum Aluminum
MSRP: Non-Ported $729.00 Non-Ported: $729.00
Ported: $799.00
Non-Ported $499.00 Non-Ported: $499.00
Ported: $569.00

About DoubleTap Defense, LLC:

Headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri, DoubleTap Defense, LLC is a firearms design and manufacturing company intent on delivering new paradigms in firearms engineering and production. The DoubleTap™ Tactical Pocket Pistol is the brainchild of founder Ray Kohout, a firearms industry professional. http://www.doubletapdefense.com/

comments

1. avatar Anonymous says:

I like the doubletap design. That said, they are double tapping the price, which I don’t like.

2. avatar Swarf says:

The St. Louis, Missouri, USA, Earth pistol innovator

For a second I though there was a company called Earth Pistol. Was trying to imagine a compostable pistol.

Now I kinda want one.

3. avatar SD3 says:

I would have guessed they’d offer a 22lr variant ISO range training for the recoil-sensitive.

I love my ported 45. 200gr Hornadys really aren’t that bad. The .410 would be an attractive pest control option.

1. avatar Ron Burgundy says:

Actually the Hornady Triple Defense 410 round is a great defensive round. And with only 2 shots, it has that ‘ploughing through’ type of stopping power.

4. avatar Albaniaaaa says:

Crazy expensive i’ll stick to my micro desert eagle.

5. avatar dph says:

2 thumbs down on any 2 shot pistol. I’ll take almost any of the diminutive pocket guns that are out there, at least then you get a minimum of 5 shots.

1. avatar SD3 says:

Perhaps more rounds isn’t the answer; more training, is.

1. avatar General Zod says:

Perhaps both is a better answer – what if there are three targets?

1. avatar SD3 says:

I doubt #3 will wait around to find out.

2. avatar Akira says:

I think the point is that there is little reason (besides novelty) to own a DoubleTap when an LCP is just about the same size, and you get 6 or 7 shots. And at half the price, too.

Two rounds is just woefully inadequate. It’s true that most self-defense situations happen at “bad breath” distance, but some don’t. It’s true that most self-defense situations only involve on attacker, but again, some don’t.

If someone is confident that they will never encounter more than two attackers and that they will score direct hits on both of them, go ahead… But I’ll stick with my CZ-75 Compact with it’s 14+1 capacity AND greater accuracy than the DoubleTap is probably capable of.

1. avatar Robert Farago says:

This is your backup gun’s backup gun.

2. avatar Swarf says:

My backup gun wouldn’t spend $800 on two shots, Robert.

I could buy a hammerless LCR to fire from my jacket pocket AND (another) LCP for my left hand.

3. avatar Accur81 says:

Interesting twist on the modern derringer, but it is eclipsed in performance and price by the Bodyguard and LCP. Still, I like options. I bet that .40 recoil is nasty of the titanium frame.

3. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

If you carry this gun you better get lots of training on reloading while under fire.

4. avatar Dave says:

Assumptions will get you hurt or worse.

2. avatar dph says:

or perhaps I don’t want to stake my life on just 2 shots in a high stress situation.

6. avatar Jonathan -- Houston says:

I’m going all in and holding out for one in .50 BMG. Pocket rocket? More like pocket Polaris!

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

Comes with a free wrist brace.

2. avatar Dave says:

I’m holding out for the pocket 12 gauge.

7. avatar Charles5 says:

Still too stupid for me.

8. avatar Jason says:

Why don’t they come out with different calibers in each barrel — 9mm on top, .45 below? Just because it would be even more stupid.

1. avatar peirsonb says:

I got your caliber war right here!

9. avatar Stinkeye says:

I’m holding out for them to make a high-capacity model, with more barrels stacked up. I’d like to see a Octuple Tap, or even an Duodecuple Tap. Because that’s the only way this product line could get even more ridiculous… Who wouldn’t want a seven-pound, twelve-barrelled derringer the size of a cricket bat, with the ergonomics of a cinder block?

1. avatar Akira says:

Not gonna lie… A pepperbox revolver designed to shoot modern .357 Magnums would be badass.

1. avatar Swarf says:

A modern LeMat in .357 and 28 gauge would be even badder ass… er.

2. avatar Al says:

Actually, I have one like that called a COP, or Compact Off-duty Police. It chambers 38spl or 357mag, holds four rounds, and fires them in rotation. All stainless steel, and weighs about 28 oz loaded, so a bit much for some forms of pocket carry, though it rides in my jacket pockets just fine during the winter months. It is nice to have your hand on a powerful piece that does not require a presentation prior to being effectively employed in a defensive situation.

10. avatar Colby says:

I’ve been saying I would buy a 45/410 version of this gun ever since they announced the original. Now it looks like I will have to put my money where my mouth is. That plus Ruger’s reintroduction of the Red Label mean my wallet will be screaming for mercy over the next two years.

To me the .410 double tap will make an excellent trotline firearm, and general varmint abatement tool for rattlesnakes, raccoons, opposum, and the like, that refuse to relocate from near the house after repeated warnings.

I consider it more of a tool for shooting situations where any risk of ricochet is unacceptable and the amount of power needed is less critical. As such, I don’t see why so many shooters don’t appreciate the potential usefulness of a 45/410 derringer. Maybe those shooters just haven’t taken the time to conceptualize other potential uses for firearms aside from their use as a weapon of self-defense or big game hunting, i.e, they have never had too shoot a snake that refuses to relocate his basking spot away from the barn foundation, or have never had to dispatch raccoons that repeatedly trap themselves in trashcans as part of their nightly raiding routine.

Certainly I don’t consider it an EDC weapon, even though it could serve that role in a pinch, but I do think it could be a useful tool for some situations, even though its usefulness is hardly proportional to the price. Even as a tool it may be on the outside end of diminishing returns, but I am a gun lover and I want one anyway.

1. avatar Colby says:

Having said all that, I reckon a Ruger SP101 loaded with rat-shot might be just as useful as a Double Tap or Bond Arms tap .410, for those situations where a shot-shell is needed, but would be more versatile with it’s ability to hold more rounds and shoot them more accurately. Probably cheaper too.

2. avatar Swarf says:

I’d be interested if it were $200.

11. avatar ErrantVenture11 says:

The solution to capacity with these is to carry one in each pocket.

Actually, I read a book once where the way the protagonist (a city detective) got out of the final jam was because he routinely carried THREE guns. You aren’t aware of this through the entirety of the book, but throughout the novel his level of preparedness (he has guns stashed all over his home) leaves you unsurprised at the third gun. The bad guy disarms him, asks for him to give up his backup piece, then after his guard is down the detective draws his third gun and shoots him.

Perp: “Who the heck needs to carry three guns!?”

Cop: “Me. Today.”

FTW!

12. avatar 2Wheels says:

Sweet, more calibers to torture your hand and wrist with…

13. avatar Pulatso says:

Bond Arms makes a two barrel derringer that also swaps barrels on the fly, is more comfortable to hold, and is cheaper. Is the weight and size reduction really worth the extra cost?

1. avatar Colby says:

That is a valid question. I guess it just depends on the buyer. I really won’t be able to make my final decision on one or the other until I handle them side-by-side.

14. avatar bontai Joe says:

Am I mistaken or would the plastic from the opened crimp on a .410 shell stick out of the barrel after it was discharged?

1. avatar Al says:

They are restricting the 410 shells to 2.5 inches, so I think that they would still be shrouded by the barrel.

15. avatar smackit says:

I have to ask seriously if TTAG is getting some renumeration for continuing to hype this piece of crap. I mean you don’t have to be a Google genius to find the numerous articles and reviews about how much this gun absolutely SUCKS! Many examples of it dimpling the unused loaded cartridge along with YT videos of the damn things having faulty dual-ignitions and just about splitting people’s hands open.

I’d think the only real story about DoubleTap should be ……When the hell is DoubleTap going to recall their faulty pistols?

1. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

I think someone has stock in this company…

2. avatar Chase says:

The only way I can see someone getting injured by this pistol is using +P ammunition when they specifically say not to or they are retarded and never shot a revolver before.

1. avatar smackit says:

So a double discharge is just okey-dokey in your mind?

Here’s somebody getting hurt…..tell me what he did wrong……….

16. avatar Brian says:

I held one out of curiosity yesterday. I surprised at it’s size. I was expecting it to be much, MUCH smaller and lighter.

1. avatar Brian says:

That said, I do laugh every time I see “Earth” stamped on the side. I like it when manufacturers have a sense of humor.

17. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

The only role I can feasibly see this weapon in is a back-up or back-up, back-up gun. Either way, too much cost and too little capacity, there are at least a dozen guns that serve this role better and for cheaper.

18. avatar JP in Tennessee says:

The concept of the Doubletap is more interesting than its reality.

19. avatar David says:

I think I already know the answer to this question but . . . Would anyone here make this his bear gun now that you can load it w/ .45 Colt?

At 499.00 MSRP for a non-ported Aluminum, the price is getting closer to something I would consider paying, but the gun would have to retail for under 300.00 for me to actually go for it.

1. avatar Stinkeye says:

I’m not sure I’d be comfortable going into a bear-shooting situation with only two shots…

20. avatar Gyufygy says:

Jesus, my hand hurts just thinking about firing that thing in 40.

21. avatar Dave says:

No thanks. They will grab my interest when they make it available in 12 gauge.

22. avatar Evan says:

The only real use I see for this is a snake or small varmint gun if you load it with birdshot. If I wanted to Edc as small a gun I can get is get a NAA mini revolver. At least that gets 5 shots and it can get a light, laser and some different grips.