TTAG Exclusive Video: Kirsten Joy Weiss Shoots A Skittle Off a Pencil

TTAG’s resident sharp shooter has yet to learn the lesson handed down to us by legendary magician Harry Houdini: don’t make it look too easy. Houdini used to flub his tricks on purpose so his audience could appreciate the mastery needed to perform an illusion. Of course, Ms. Weiss’ markspersonship is no illusion. The skills needed to blast the infamous candy from its pencil perch are mad. But I’m mad Kirsten Joy Weiss didn’t make it look more difficult. Then again, as Matt points out, it’s a single camera take. And the result isn’t difficult to look at. I reckon that’s half the battle in the world of entertainment to which Ms. Weiss aspires. N’est-ce pas? [Click here to see more trick shots at kirstenjoyweiss.com]

comments

1. avatar Jeff the Griz says:

Shooting skittles, some might say racism. As always, awesome.

1. avatar Conrad says:

Recently I walked into a 7-Eleven and saw an entire display dedicated to Arizona Iced Tea cans of Soda “Shaq”…

2. avatar Matt in FL says:

Continuous camera shot. Nice.

1. avatar jwm says:

In order to shoot one skittle off that pencil you had to buy a whole bag of skittles. That stuff is toxic waste. Make sure you follow all bio hazard rules for disposing of that stuff. Don’t want the epa complaining you’re poisoning condors or some such.

I didn’t intend this as a reply to Matt. Also, nice shot.

1. avatar Kirsten says:

ooo. Maybe I should have put down a tarp. Or maybe we should all just shoot more skittles. Think of all the children (and gamer dudes) we would be saving!

1. avatar jwm says:

If we’re in this to save the gamer dudes we need to also shoot as many cans and bottles of red bull, jolt, mountain dew etc. as possible. The best way to save the children is to teach them to shoot as good as you.

2. avatar Jay1987 says:

You ain’t savin gamer dudes unless you start shooting cheetos and doritos too… I know I used to be one till the Army brain washed me to stay away from fatty cakes

2. avatar Jeh says:

At least let me drink the Red Bull before you shoot it.

1. avatar Sturbo says:

I don’t think that would turn out so well for you.

3. avatar pk in AZ says:

What is with this obsession RF has with this woman?

1. avatar jwm says:

What is this obsession that some commentors have against this woman?

1. avatar pk in AZ says:

Merely my opinion, are you RF’s personal assistant?

1. avatar jwm says:

Nope, just voicing my opinion. It’s a real simple process. You pick and chose which posts to comment on. You don’t approve of the young lady, move to the next post. Lot’s of posts I don’t comment on.

2. avatar CrazedJava says:

A woman who can shoot, and probably better than most of the readers, may be seen as a threat.

I say that as someone who is fully aware he couldn’t hit the broad side of a skittle.

2. avatar Matt in FL says:

What is your obsession with asking that stupid question every time she’s mentioned? It’s been one whole week since the last post in this series, which went up last Monday. Actually more than one whole week, as the last post went up about 3 p.m. which makes it a week + 3 hours.

One whole week of 13+ posts every day, let’s see… (I’d lick the tip of my pencil except Kirsten shot it off last week…) that’s… at least ninety-one posts since the last one of these.

Read ’em, don’t read ’em, I don’t care, but please, stop with the whining.

1. avatar pk in AZ says:

Tell you what Matt, I’ll just stop looking and posting on this site.

Bye bye!

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

I feel like that’s a tiny overreaction, but it’s your decision.

2. avatar gs650g says:

And the site won’t survive unless you visit.
          /sarcasmoff

3. avatar Julian says:

Seriously? She likes guns, and is one hell of a shot. As if that wasn’t enough, she’s also really easy on the eyes. What’s not to like?

1. avatar TheBear says:

I think the overreaction is the fact that she /is/ easy on the eyes, which RF cannot help but point out every single time.

I am personally a bit fan of KW, but I can understand how RF could alienate some readers.

1. avatar jwm says:

Leering, dirty old men make everyone uncomfortable. But that’s no reason to take it out on the girl.

4. avatar Accur81 says:

I think KJW is awesome. I couldn’t think of a better person to assist me in getting my Savage 110 BA in .338 Lapua dialed in at 1000 yards. Although I don’t currently have a scope, so that would be a real challenge. With that being said, I bet I could blow a Skittle off of a pencil at 10 yards with muzzle blast!

5. avatar Soccerchainsaw says:

What obsession? I thought she had become a regular contributor to TTAG, maybe even an employee? Personally, as an oldish, not so fat, white guy, I think anything we can do to diversify the audience can only be a good thing. You know, broadening the appeal of gun rights issues and all.

6. avatar AJ says:

“What is with this obsession RF has with this woman?”

Um, have you seen this woman? Not only is she a great shot, smart, and funny, she’s a more than suitable replacement for the Israeli supermodel links that are now gone.

4. avatar Rokurota says:

I was impressed. Okay, Kirsten, for your next shot, I want to see you shoot a .22 bullet into an empty .22 cartridge casing.

1. avatar Louis says:

I second that challenge. Not as a sarcastic request, but an actual test of your skills.

I once took a Ruger 22lr single six and tried to show off by shooting a nail off a piece of wood. I missed the nail, but the bullet carved a shallow groove right next to it.

To impress my father-in-law, I took the same revolver and attached a seed husk to a willow and tapped it to swing side to side like a metronome. I surprised both us by hitting it.

1. avatar JAS says:

I once shot at an empty can of V8 – one of the small ones – from a bit over 100 yards with my Remington 700 BDL in .308 using hand loaded ammo and it did not move. I said: “I missed?” and my spotter said no you didn’t. I looked through the spotting scope and there was a hole on it dead center through and through. How it did not move I have not a clue.

1. avatar jwm says:

JAS, in my youth we had beverages in tin cans. When we shot these cans even with our .22s they reacted. As we got more aluminum beverage containers we noticed that even at fairly close ranges the cans didn’t react as the older, more solid cans had when we shot them.

Maybe your v8 can was one of the thin and light aluminum ones?

5. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

I, for one, enjoy this kind of marksmanship. Continuous camera, no shooting jacket, nothing. Just a darn good shooter making darn good shots. I will never get tired of this.
    Bonus, Ms. Weiss is a whole lot better looking than Jerry Miculek.

1. avatar Rokurota says:

Yeah, the offhand shooting is icing on the cake. I could barely make this shot with a benchrest, much less a sandbag.

2. avatar CrazedJava says:

Is that a compliment? I’m better looking than Jerry!

6. avatar g says:

Great shot!

Poor piece of processed sugar… saving fat kids in America, one skittle at a time.

7. avatar Jay1987 says:

That was a damn good shot on open sights standing free hand I’d hate to get on her bad side.

1. avatar JaxD says:

She has a bad side?

8. avatar MIkeH121 says:

It is ironic. Maybe moronic….pk in AZ whines about Miss Weiss. So being a critic is just fine, but being critisized he can’t take it.

I would rather watch Miss Weiss and Robo-Jerry doing what they do best then hear the whining.

Some people are not happy until they make others unhappy. Goodbye to pk in AZ, his choice. Maybe he should have chose not to watch something he hated, or maybe he should have chose not to be negative and chose not to comment.

1. avatar SdubM45 says:

I guess he just wanted to take the joy out of watching this video.

9. avatar Skyler says:

I’m very impressed, but I have to point out that this is probably the easiest of her shots to date because I suspect a near miss would have blown the skittle off the eraser.

I think she should get a high speed camera, but then I’m not the one paying for the high speed camera and I’m not the one spending the time figuring out how to time the shot for the high speed camera, which seems to be an art in itself.

Great shooting though, without a doubt, and I love how Kristen radiates so much joy.

1. avatar TheBear says:

I would like to see a high speed camera too. I know Jorg on the Slingshotchannel was able to get a nice one after the proceeds from a year of videos (cost over $60k US if I remember correctly) but he doesn’t make a living off of his channel. It’s just a hobby.

10. avatar Conrad says:

Ok all, I love Kirsten and I love the videos… but _seriously_ the “joy” puns need to stop…

And I went ahead and diffed the consecutive frames in my photo editor and they clearly show the skittle being turned into skitdust…

1. avatar Kirsten says:

Mmm. Sounds like a new candy

11. avatar Piet Padkos says:

Great shot. Now how about next time she shoots the white off rice? Now THAT would be a show. Also, looks like pk in AZ actually left due to his hissy fit. What a baby.

12. avatar C says:

I can’t watch these anymore. They make me want to shop for engagement rings.

1. avatar Philip says:

…and for KJW’s next trick she’ll be shooting a solitaire out of it’s setting!

1. avatar Rokurota says:

“But that fly will never reproduce.”

13. avatar MIkeH121 says:

To Conrad…she is a “Joy” to watch…..

I grew up around horses and guns. Any “girl” who could ride and shoot…..

Yes she is “easy on the eyes” but she can shoot smaller things. Complainers usually are just jealous or just plain holes in the backside.

1. avatar Conrad says:

For the record, I just think the puns are bad… sobering bad… I might quit drinking…

She can obviously shoot extremely well, and way better than I… hope she makes the Olympics (which would be an interesting read when the time comes).

14. avatar JAS says:

Great shot Kirsten!! How about the Annie Oakley shot of cutting a playing card in half?

“Oakley’s perhaps most famous trick is being able to repeatedly split a playing card, edge-on, and put several more holes in it before it could touch the ground, while using a .22 caliber rifle, at 90 feet.”

I find that very hard to believe… Sounds more like legend to me.

Just cutting the card would be awesome.

JAS

1. avatar TheBear says:

I believe she could cut the card. As for putting multiple holes in it, she could probably do it a few times but not back to back.

Some people like Bob Munden just have/had talent that no amount of training can meet.

15. avatar ensitue says:

Does nothing for me

16. avatar JaredFromTampa says:

That was an awesome shot. No way I could’ve done that. Good on ya lass.

1. avatar Kirsten says: