Obscure Object of Desire: Tiger Gun (With 1925 Rolls Royce Phantom I Attached)

1925 Rolls Royce with towing elephant gun (courtesy npr.org)

“Equipped for hunting Bengal tigers and other wild game, this especially opulent and intriguing 1925 Rolls-Royce Torpedo Sports Tourer was originally commissioned by India’s Umed Singh II. Also known as Sahib Bahadur, Umed Singh II was the Maharaja of Kotah from 1889 until his death in 1940.” C’mon. Is that really the way a Maharaja shot tigers out in, out in, out in India? OK, it’s true: they bite, they scratch, they make an awful fuss. And the Bira could prove useful if a rogue elephant or a herd of untouchables was trying to sneak-up from behind. The gun (with car) is going under the hammer at the Barrett-Jackson auction in Vegas, for something between $500k and $1m, no NFA stamp required (’cause it’s a hand-cranked gun).

comments

1. avatar caffeinated says:

That’s a Bira gun and not NFA since it’s hand cranked.

1. avatar Robert Farago says:

Thanks for that! Text amended,

2. avatar Jay1987 says:

I want that gun forget the car how much for the gun?

1. avatar caffeinated says:

Here’s one available shipped to your front door!

3. avatar JaxD says:

I like the mounted pistol pointing at the front seat. What could possibly go wrong?

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

I’m pretty sure that’s mounted on a gimbal, meant to be used by the car’s occupants in a “repel boarders” fashion.

Beautiful car, though. The gun’s neat, but I couldn’t afford to feed it.

1. avatar Craig says:

No, its a Howdah pistol. Looks like a double barreled SxS flintlock or percussion, can’t really tell. Howdah pistols are for when animals are charging the hunters and you need to put them down fast. If they were trying to repel human attackers, a .455 Webley would be much better. A Howdah pistol is usually a much bigger caliber.

2. avatar Cliff H says:

At a minimum, driver, if not eaten by tiger because you fired, deaf in one ear. At maximum, either you miss the tiger and the driver gets eaten, or you get ecxited and shoot the driver. Either way, drivers were cheap in India during that period.

4. avatar Mike Crognale says:

Ya’ll missed the description of the elephant gun attached to the rear bumper. If you enlarge the picture you can see the muzzle.

5. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Wow. This would have been a great weekend photo caption pic.
    It’s interesting noting what used to be an acceptable way to hunt. What a gorgeous setup. Check the bore size on the gun mounted above the rear bumper. 4 bore? 2 bore???

1. avatar jwm says:

Maybe a spare barrel for the cannon? After looking at the extra pictures Matt posted it looks like the rear bumper gun is some sort of brass muzzle loader. Maybe a punt gun?

6. avatar caffeinated says:

It should be 455/577 caliber.

7. avatar Konrad says:

I feel like this image should remind me of a southern pickup with a rifle rack in the back window, or an older SUV in Pennsylvania with a deer carcass tied to the hood. But, then, NO! This is so much more awesome!

Please explain why the Maharaja did not see fit to specify a shooting brake when ordering the RR.

8. avatar Matt in FL says:

Here’s a link to the actual auction listing, with a few more photos: http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=740&aid=524

Get yourself a gun like that and nobody will tailgate your ride again. Ever.

10. avatar Craig says:

Now that’s how Britain should be today. I guess WW2 took all of the fight out of them.

11. avatar Pulatso says:

It’s like Steampunk and Post Apocolyptic pounded out a baby.

12. avatar Bruce L. says:

I want one. Of course, it could be a problem when I had to leave it in air port parking.

1. avatar Cliff H says:

If you could afford it you could afford two lackies to sleep in it while you were gone.

13. avatar Stephen M. says:

This is one of those rare occasions where I say forget the gun, I’ll just take the car. I have little use for a hand cranked gun that requires hand fitted parts and hard to find ammunition. Of course for that price I’d just as soon get an Aston Martin and fit an M134 in the trunk….

14. avatar Az9mm says:

I’ve had the chance to view the car in person, and not only is the Rolls Royce itself a very beautiful, the firearms are also pretty sweet

15. avatar Russ Bixby says:

Added to my “if I won the lottery” list.

1. avatar JaredFromTampa says:

I’d need to win the Powerball twice to afford all the crap that’s on my “if I won the lottery” list 🙁

16. avatar Daniel H says:

the gun on the back is a Lantaka cannon, used for hunting elephant.