Moms Demand Action: Low-Information Anti-Gun Agitators

Perceived security for liberty. Fair trade? (courtesy twitter.com)

I ripped the picture above from Activist Momma’s Twitter page. The badge on the bag indicates that Activist Momma’s a member of MDA (Moms Demand Action). “It’s proven: gun-free coffee just tastes better.” Now that’s what I call a monumentally stupid statement. Leaving aside the “gun free coffee taste” non-sequitur (hey, what’s a metaphor?), let’s drill down a bit on the coffee in the image. . .

The Ruta Maya coffee company is based in Austin, Texas (surprise!). Here’s the 411 on the source of Activist Momma’s non-Starbuckian caffeination . . .

Ruta Maya imports 100 percent organic Arabica coffee beans that are shade-grown by a cooperative of farmers in the highlands of Chiapas, Mexico — the land of the ancient and modern Maya. This coffee has exceptional richness that combines ancient growing techniques with gentle roasting to extract the ultimate in coffee depth and flavor. The carefully harvested green coffee beans are imported to Texas, where they are custom-roasted to exacting standards and packed fresh daily. The Ruta Maya product line includes certified organic coffee in medium, dark, and espresso roasts.

Mexico is it? Excellent! Mexico has all the “common sense” gun control laws that Moms Demand Action demands, and then some. From government registration (only the Army sells guns) to restrictions on caliber and even limits to the amount of ammunition a gun owner can have and hold.

Yup, Mexico is the gun-free paradise that MDA seeks. Provided you ignore the hundred thousand-plus firearms-related deaths south of the border in the last ten years. Or, if you want to exclude the whole cartel-on-cartel killing thing, the thousands of innocent civilians caught in the crossfire, including those snuffed out in mass murders.

As far as Chiapas is concerned, here’s the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Diplomatic Security‘s take on the region:

Chiapas State–particularly in the mountain highlands north of San Cristobal de Las Casas, the Municipality of Ocosingo, and the southeastern jungle portion east of Comitan–experience occasional political unrest, most frequently in conjunction with local land disputes. Chiapas has been a site of political turmoil, with local indigenous groups who support the Zapatista National Liberation Army (EZLN) in conflict with local public institutions.

Don’t you just love the “don’t scare the horses” tone of their summation? No mention of the drug trade, rape, pillage or murder. There’s a reason for that. narconews.com reports that Uncle Sam’s friends, the Mexican Army, are large and in charge in Chiapas. Ish.

Frequently, these same [Mexican] soldiers raid and ransack the villages, stealing livestock, tools, food, what few possessions that the peasants who identify with the Zapatista movement have. These regular incidents are painstakingly documented by the local Catholic diocese and other human rights organizations.

More often, the soldiers, together with the state police, protect paramilitary groups, formed by the large landowners and ranchers, while these armed organizations — most of them members of the ruling PRI party — do the pillaging.

At least two dozen roadblocks have been set up by military and immigration officials in these mountain roads. The officials at these checkpoints are looking for foreigners — journalists, human rights observers — to deport from Mexico for the crime of being where their presence is inconvenient to the carrying out of dark tasks that are better accomplished without international attention.

This is what happens to a disarmed population. They are powerless against armed thugs—both government-sponsored and freelance and (apparently) something in between. The rule of law takes a powder. Human rights disappear. People disappear. And die, without notice, publicity or redress.

So, while Mrs. Mom sits in Austin sipping on her coffee, smug for snubbing Starbucks (for their gun-friendly policy), Tweeting her moral superiority, the disarmed people growing the beans that made her coffee live in fear for their lives, while earning less than a dollar a day. On average.

How stupid are these gun grabbers? That stupid. And then some.

comments

1. avatar chuck (slave to nj) says:

This needs a bazinga at the end.

1. avatar Roscoe says:

Even airheads can come up with a ‘slogan’… of sorts.

It’s called “selling it”.

2. avatar Hal says:

I believe it might be RUTA MAYA and hence “RM” and not “AM.” I Could be wrong.

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

The ‘AM’ refers to ‘Activist Momma’ not the name of the coffee company. But your attention to detail is well-noted.

1. avatar Hal says:

Ahhhhhh, I thought it was due to the font on the Ruta Maya bag, in which the “R” resembles an “A.” My apologies Robert! Thanks Matt.

2. avatar BcS says:

I quite enjoy Ruta Maya…….with an XD tactical.

1. avatar Dr. Kenneth Noisewater says:

Believe it or not, it’s cheaper to buy their coffee from Costco via mail order than it is to go to the store in person to buy the same quantity. Seems kinda stupid to me. Their decaf is pretty good tho.

2. avatar Accur81 says:

If buying Ruta Maya means I support Moms Demand Gun Control, then I won’t purchase a single cup. Starbucks is relatively gun friendly, and I can concealed carry and piss off liberals simultaneously. Bingo.

3. avatar 0351 says:

Now that was one hell of a rant.

4. avatar Out_Fang_Thief says:

Stupid we can deal with. But these ignorant, intolerant, self-righteous, self-entitled,
    tiny tyrants, are a whole other animal altogether. Our benevolent nanny statists.
    And they think WE are the ones who pose the greatest threat to our way of life?

1. avatar Ted says:

They are like modern-day temperance crusaders. Neo-prohibitionists.

5. avatar Jus Bill says:

“…land of the ancient and modern Maya. This coffee has exceptional richness that combines ancient growing techniques…” Meaning “Watered with the blood of innocent women and children…”
    Maybe it’s time to start the local ad campaign.

1. avatar Hasdrubal says:

Yes, but they were slaughtered with weapons of wood and stone, not guns. And then had their hearts carved out of their chests. But not with guns. And some of them were skinned so the priests could have ceremonial costume. But not with guns. Guns would have made them bad.

6. avatar Lewie Paine says:

How stupid are these gun grabbers?

“… slaves who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude.”

7. avatar Dirk Diggler says:

you should link this page to her twitter account and let others see how stupid she is

1. avatar Bob says:

Loved the post, RF. Good stuff here. Chocolate and coffee are two products that often come from current or ex- war zones or conflict zones, so much so that many of the processing facilities find bullets (components or whole cartridges) in the raw product while screening for debris. If this AM wanted gun free coffee, she could have done a lot better than choosing Mexico (or Texas haha)!! Costa Rica, Hawaii, or I’m sure a zillion other places.

1. avatar William Burke says:

I was thinking the same thing. If it’s from Chiapas, it’s virtually guaranteed to have powder residue and lead dust in it.

8. avatar Jesus says:

Gun free coffee does taste better.

I once forgot to take a S&W out of my mug and it made my coffee taste like CLP.

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

I don’t think coffee is coffee without a sheen of Hoppe’s floating on the surface.

1. avatar Akira says:

I like to stir in a little Frog Lube… It adds a nice minty touch to my morning brew.

2. avatar Roscoe says:

Frog Lube gives it that minty taste.

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

Thanks to both of you. I was unaware of Frog Lube’s fragrant properties. I shall have to try that.

3. avatar William Burke says:

Number Nine…. Number Nine… Number Nine….

Hoppe’s has that manly scent that drives the woman mad, unless they’re already mad.

9. avatar Mediocrates says:

I think TTAGs little reply tweet hit the right nerve…

10. avatar James says:

Facts and intelligence are irrelevant. You already nailed why the gun grabbers do this inane stuff. Sitting there all smug, twitting their moral superiority over everyone else and feeling good about themselves. The violence and gun laws in Mexico does not matter because they feel good. This is our battle, to get people that have not thought about gun laws to ignore the emotional bloody shirt waving and look to something that would actually work.

11. avatar Jeh says:

“Gun free coffee just tastes better”
    …..what? I guess in a way she could mean when coffee doesn’t taste like lead, but we all know she only drinks the gourmet imported coffee her servants deliver her lazy ass every morning while she blogs nonsense. So probably not.

12. avatar Daniel Silverman says:

Ok.. I love my coffee. Unfortunately coffee, many times comes from countries with less than stellar civil rights records. It is unfortunate that this company has decided to side itself with MDA. Regardless of the quality, I will simply go somewhere else.

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

Don’t be so quick to blame Ruta Maya. There’s no evidence that I’ve seen here that they’re affiliated with MDA. This twit probably just hung her own MDA pin on the bag to make a statement.

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

Yeah, kinda what I thought. Holding Ruta Maya responsible because this twit drinks it is no different than holding Bushmaster responsible for Newtown, or GLOCK-brand GLOCK responsible for Gabby Giffords.

13. avatar cubby123 says:

Personally, I like to drink coffee while cleaning my guns.it gives it a much richer taste,Nothing like a pot of rich roast coffee and Hoppe’s!

14. avatar Rich Grise says:

What’s up with this “organic” schutff? I swear I’ve never heard of any inorganic coffee!

1. avatar William Burke says:

Not again. No one is going to buy that you don’t know the meaning of “organic”. Or laugh, either.

2. avatar Tom says:

I too thought all coffee contained Carbon. I guess Folgers has been lying to me!

1. avatar JusBill says:

So Folgers IS really silicon-based?

15. avatar Ted says:

Welcome to the new world order where everyone is an “expert” and their opinion matters.

Do any of these “moms” have any credentials or experience beyond reproduction?

Moms against drunk driving, moms demanding action, million mom marches….

These moms need a cup of shut the f*ck up.

1. avatar Roscoe says:

What they probably REALLY need is a shot of the big “O”.

1. avatar Jay1987 says:

Hey now Roscoe no givin those moms Opium might give em even better ideas on how to run our lives for us

16. avatar Dirk Diggler says:

actually, perhaps we should contact the coffee purveyor and ask their opinion about MDA. It would be interesting if they don’t hold the same opinion and thus would send a cease and desist letter to the twit with the twitter account.

17. avatar S_J says:

Ah yes, the organic fair trade anti-GMO “guilt-free” food fetishists. As a working class dude I used to envy people that could afford to worry about where all their food comes from until I realized that most of them are dumber than a pail of rocks and have the moral consistency of a trust funded stoner undergrad complete with dreads and a $30 Che t-shirt. This privileged cow is no different.

1. avatar Roscoe says:

What they probably REALLY need is a shot of the big “O”.

1. avatar Roscoe says:

THAT they can relate to; anything else, well, there is probably not much depth.

1. avatar Rich Grise says:

They’re probably anhedonic, or “orgasmically impaired,” what used to be called “frigid.” And they’re taking out their frustrations on anyone and everyone who manages to find any joy in their life.

2. avatar Anonymous says:

That’s why they are called “Moms… DEMAND… ACTION!”

1. avatar mina says:

it’s a subliminal message

3. avatar Tama Paine says:

Yeah, Roscoe. Stoopid is caused by no orgasms.

Remember that the next time you say stoopid things, OK?

Or maybe you’re just admitting that you find no fantasy conquest hotter than an ultra-liberal woman?

There’s a lot of that going around among conservative men.

1. avatar Rich Grise says:

<sarc>
          Yeah, the big gun is to compensate for their sexual inadequacy. I thought everybody know that.
          </sarc>

18. avatar Dave says:

OK, I call bull sh!t.

Everything tastes better with a little cordite in it!

The solipsism of these twits never ceases to amaze.

1. avatar Accur81 says:

Word.

2. avatar LongBeach says:

Another word I enjoy now that I didn’t know I enjoyed before. Solipsism. Another addition to my voluminous vocabulary, entered excitedly in my cranial catalog.

20. avatar Anonymous says:

Mom’s demand action is an anti-gun group? I thought they were just a bunch of desperate moms looking for action where “eharmony” or “match.com” wouldn’t suffice.

Or Adultfriendfinder.com

2. avatar JusBill says:

It’s a pr0n site.

21. avatar John McEnerney says:

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t remember a “No Guns” sign posted at the Ruta Maya coffeehouse in Austin. Texas has rigid requirements for such signs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Texas#30.06_signage

I have found these signs to be exceedingly rare in Austin, and Austin is probably the most Liberal place in Texas…

22. avatar gs650g says:

Liberal free coffe tastes better at Starbucks

23. avatar Russ Bixby says:

In Russia, we place barrel coffee pot or tea kettle and empty magazine. Is how agitate and heat water.

Not drink gun, though.

1. avatar Tama Paine says:

In Russia, gun coffee taste like cosmoline.

Lesson learned in Winter War: keeps blood from freezing, da.

2. avatar CarlosT says:

In Soviet Russia, coffee drinks you!

24. avatar BillF says:

Breaking news! They’re off to see the Wizard! Million Moms on a march to Oz, demanding a brain to share between them.

1. avatar DisThunder says:

Ha! You just needed the bold BREAKING tag on it.
      In other news, Bill and DisThunder marched to Starbucks, who still have no clue what the hell a “Moms Demand Action” is.

25. avatar 2AFriendly says:

Brilliant – we’re sharing this article.

Low-info is putting it lightly!

26. avatar Dave says:

But, that Ruta Maya coffee is very tasty. You can get it at Costco.