iPhone 5s vs. 50 Cal…Your Point Being?

What’s up with the iPhone hate? What did the iPhone ever do to you—aside from perpetuating Apple’s relentless push to degrade the meaning of the word “genius”? Then again, what else would you call blue-shirted button pushers that’ve helped push nine million new iPhones out the door in three days? More to the point [of this website], where’s the suspense in pitting the new iPhone against a .50 cal. Barrett? There’s only one way Cupertino’s latest is going to win that match-up: if the iPhone owner uses the Call in an Airstrike app to take out the Barrett operator (and anything else within a 50-yard radius). Oorah! Still, anything that gets Generation C into guns is OK with me. Whereas the new iPhone operating system isn’t. Just sayin’ . . .

comments

1. avatar Brian says:

lol, putting their money where their mouth is, I hear the gold ones can go for 2k+ on ebay…just saying 🙂

2. avatar DrVino says:

Even better than when Daniel Tosh bashed an iPud with a golf club.

3. avatar Jay1987 says:

Iphones are just plain fun to kill and suprisingly easy to kill. i dropped one on my truck bumper once and busted the screen i encouraged another to shake off its mortal coil when i dropped it in a mud hole never to be seen again

1. avatar Jeff says:

I put my 3GS in an Otterbox defender when I got it. I once dropped it two decks down in the engine room of a ship.. No damage at all. Had that phone for almost 5 years.

Hope my Galaxy S3 can last as long. It has the Otterbox as well, but this one seems a lot less.. beefier than the iPhone version was.

1. avatar projectiledysfunction says:

I wouldn’t worry about it, my S3 is my constant companion while I do aviation work (including dropping it out the bottom of linear avionics bays onto the tarmac.) It rides along when I do work on our family farm, too.

Out of an otterbox the iPhone may be tougher (although my 3GS bit it within a year due to the case cracking) but in a good case? Don’t think there’s much of a difference.

2. avatar Matt in FL says:

I have an S2 Skyrocket that I put in an Otterbox Defender for a while. Definitely felt bulletproof, but I ended up taking it back off because it made my sexy phone into a giant lump. Kind of like putting football pads on an Israeli supermodel.

4. avatar Nine says:

I’d love to shoot an iAnything.

I freakin’ hate Apple, I hate their products, and I hate %99.99 of their consumers.

I won’t even buy one to shoot it.

1. avatar Andrew says:

So then you have… Ihate?

Heeyyooo… *puts on sunglasses*

2. avatar JaredFromTampa says:

Haters gonna hate…

Sent from my iPad 😛

5. avatar Frank Masotti says:

First off I hate Apple and would never use nor pay my own money for their products. That said, what phone yet alone a smart phone could handle a 50 call round into it? Especially that close.

6. avatar Cliff H says:

First company (Apple or Droid) that makes a phone that can bounce back from that .50 can count on a HUGE military contract. Good luck with that. I think even a case of carbon fiber, Kevlar and with ceramic inserts would not do the trick.

By the way, want to impress me hit an iPhone with the .50 from 1,000 yards. Go ahead.

7. avatar LC Judas says:

There’s an older vid, which may have been shown here, where a guy gave an iPhone a perfect shot (second time’s the charm) with a .50 BMG API round. Slow motion video shows it shattering into flaky pieces when the incendiary detonates.

I have a black 1954 rotary dial phone that can stand up to a thermonuclear warhead. It’s heavy, clunky and ugly. I think it was made by Alexander Graham Bell, the Kalashnikov of communications devices.

1. avatar Avid Reader says:

I had one, too. Unfortunately it was on a nightstand in a room that flashed over in a house fire. It didn’t burn, but it looked a bit like it had suffered at the hand of Salvador Dali.

2. avatar jwm says:

Black bakelite rotary phone. My wife has one, still functional in the living room. If a home invasion happens and my gun malfunctions I plan on beating the bad guy to death with it. And then I’ll call 911 on it.

3. avatar Jay1987 says:

Can’t beat them old rotary phones i still have one and it still runs like a clock i wouldn’t try beating anyone to death with it though it may fall under cruel and unusual punishment my old motorola brick though is fair game

9. avatar Piet Padkos says:

Maybe if they were less arrogant, killing their products would be less fun? But they are, so it is.

10. avatar Accur81 says:

This was at Angeles Crest Range. Our agency was doing 3 gun practice on the next range over. That .50 is a cannon! I didn’t realize what they were up to because I missed the shoot for my sister’s wedding in WI. My buddy at work showed me the video a few hours earlier. Pretty cool. I can’t remember if it was LAPD or LASO. I would’ve probably bugged them for some trigger time if’n I was there. It apparently took quite a while to set up the cameras and shoot angles.

11. avatar tfunk says:

The videography is pretty badass

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

Richard Ryan does a great job. Often, the behind the scenes videos are better than the final product.

12. avatar Slab Rankle says:

How many iPhones does China, Inc. have to sell to pay for another nuclear warhead to aim at us?

BTW, is anyone else offended by the “Assembled in China, Designed in California” (or some version of that) legend on the back of the iPhone? Clearly Jobs and Apple didn’t want to sully their product by printing the name of The United States of America on it. Pricks.

They could have evened the score by printing “Assembled in Guangdong, Designed in California”, but I guess that’s not very aesthetically appealing.

We wouldn’t even be having this discussion if there where actual zombies to shoot.

1. avatar neiowa says:

“designed” being the exterior STYLING by some artsyfartsy metrosexual (or worse). The ENGINEERING is by CHICOM electrical engineers under temporary contracts. New product can hire 1000 of them for a few weeks to get your project done. Then they go back to working for the PRC Army projects. Thats why this stuff comes from China. It’s not just the manufacturing. No Ca gov’t or US gov’t in the way. Need 2500 trained, experienced techies or tool makers or ______? There on the shelf ready to go. Cut a check and you’re done. Nowhere else in the world can do that. Same true in just about any manufactured goods sector you can name.

1. avatar Slab Rankle says:

The assembly and mass production, maybe, not the phone itself. Besides, the South Koreans don’t seem to have any problems building things like this, as proven by my made in S. Korea Galaxy S4.

The iPhone is assembled in China because of the profit motive and their excellent business climate, not because their tech is so good.

13. avatar jwm says:

What’s the point? Who needs a point to blow shite up. I took my old pay as you go virgin mobile wal mart special and shot it up with my pellet rifle. Took a few more hits than a .50 bmg, but the neighbers were none the wiser.

14. avatar The Sleeper Has Awakened says:

I hate iPhones mainly because of the suicide nets and slave labor.

Farago, for someone who is always bringing up the Holocaust, I figured you would be against slave labor…guess it depends on who the slaves are???

I will admit though, Apple does have great innovation and technolgy, but absolutely abysmal labor practices…..gotta say that reminds me of the Weimar Republic / Third Reich circa the 1930’s & ’40’s.

1. avatar Don says:

If you want to be more complete in your disliking of Apple, name an innovative technology of theirs you’ll be able to easily find who they stole or plagiarized it from. Including aesthetic design elements.

15. avatar rhampton says:

How about 50 Cal vs. 50 Cal? (assuming anyone who owned one would actually sacrifice it for target practice)

16. avatar PNG says:

Nice. Hate those damn things, I’m so happy to see the new one taken down a peg. That reminds me, my Droid has a Kevlar shell. It certainly won’t hold back a .50, but that’s so cool!

17. avatar Bova says:

Watch what happens when they put a protective case on that bitch!

18. avatar ProfessAndObey says:

It’s not iPhone hate, he shoots whatever tech stuff is hot at the time, or whatever people send him. He’s shot plenty of Android devices and even a Windows Phone or two. That’s why it’s called “Tech Assassin” not “Apple Slayer”. Also, he has shot an iPhone with a .50 and it’s lived; however that was a test of that one case that’s made of thick bulletproof armor.

EDIT: see above.

19. I hate Apple because, as a tech guy, I hate how they started this trend of “hip” and “modern” and “organic” interface design. Ooh, people are too dumb to read words, so we’re going to give them a couple of little pictures and make them memorize what function go with what picture. Also TOUCHSCREENS see we are innovative even though all they do is be flashy without adding any practical value. And now we have the craptastic art design major’s vomit that is the Windows 8 interface, and truly I feel the war is lost, for even Microsoft has been infected with the Apple plague.

Take the much-derided tacticool mall ninja mentality and apply it to technology. That’s Apple in a nutshell.

20. avatar Don says:

I do hate the fascist company Apple and the fact that their consumers don’t actually have any property rights over the music, media, and hardware they buy from them, and that as a marketing tool they have associated with their products a fake lifestyle patterned after northeastern urban elitists… but geez, if you don’t like their stuff, just don’t buy it. Why waste a few hundred bucks just to waste another 5 bucks shooting it with a 50 BMG?

21. avatar PeterC says:

Sounds like some people are more kosher than the rabbi!

22. avatar Out_Fang_Thief says:

Drag an iPhone through a mobile blog park, the anti-Apples go all Isaac Newton on you. Please, stop pretending you give a shit about workers in China who took day-long bus rides just to stand in line to get a paying job at Foxconn building iPhone’s and iThings. Save your empty rhetoric for that liberal barista chick working at Starbucks, Foxconn is a Taiwanese company doing business in China. They make a lot of things that we enjoy paying relatively little money for. Of course, you’ll want to throw away your PlayStation’s, and your Wii’s now, because they’re also built by, yep….Foxconn. Rank sentimentalism is not what one uses to base an argument on labor costs or a company’s capital efficiency. How does a company; that makes only one kind and style of cell phone; in 6 years, garner a 43% market share, of a market that’s been around for over 20? How’s that happen? Maybe it’s because more people want them, than those who don’t?