Hartford Police Negligent Discharge: Who Shot Whom?

Hartford policeman shows new M&P (courtesy tactical-life.com)

HARTFORD [via courant.com] — “A police officer’s gun accidentally discharged during a response to an armed robbery on Franklin Avenue on Saturday, and an officer was shot in the arm, police said. It was not clear whether the officer whose gun discharged was shot, or another officer. The injury to the officer’s forearm is non-life threatening, police said.” And now, after a temporal pause, we get a vital update: “Two people entered the store, displayed a weapon and took some money from the register, then fled, police said. The officers arrived shortly thereafter, and while clearing the building, one of their guns discharged, police said.”

comments

1. avatar Ross says:

This is what happens when police run with their fingers on the trigger.

2. avatar AlphaGeek says:

Perhaps they had one of those Taurus guns that the Brazilian police recently recalled from service — all 98,000 of them. They have this nifty shake-to-fire feature.

I don’t want to link to YouTube directly and get griped at for causing an embedded video issue, so here’s a link to the story elsewhere. (Not where I originally found it, but Google served this link up first…)

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

A Brazillian police?! Holy smokes, how many are in a brazillian?

3. avatar NYC2AZ says:

“A police officer’s gun accidentally discharged during a response to an armed robbery,” the police officer then arrested the gun for reckless endangerment and attempted murder of a police officer. No word on if the gun has a lawyer.

1. avatar BDub says:

Exactly! Why can the media ever say the person accidentally (or negligently) discharged the weapon? Why is it always the guns fault?

1. avatar AJ says:

Cause dem gunz be evil man, dontcha know dat?

/s/

2. avatar Jus Bill says:

Was the felonious gun even detained?

4. avatar Mediocrates says:

are we sure there wasn’t a dog running around loose in there someplace?

5. avatar Chris from Iowa says:

Damn thing just went off.

6. avatar Hasdrubal says:

Been trying for 15 minutes to find more on this, but looks like nothing has been released past the initial article. I remain very curious, but I bet whatever happened, the best solution will be more training.

7. avatar Dave says:

As I believe I remember reading here some time ago, “keep your booger hook off the bang switch” until you intend to punch holes and make noise. I think I was taught that when I was around 5 years old. I’m 57 now and still follow that one simple rule. It has yet to fail me even through 15 years in law enforcement before becomming a firefighter.

8. avatar RKBA says:

Keep the Booger Hook off the Bang Switch!

9. avatar BStacks says:

The Dallas Morning News had an article about DPD doing simunition training at a school this year.

Huge picture, top of the fold in the Metro section: two officers with masks and goggles and pistols in hand, one of them at low ready with his finger on the trigger.

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

He was getting ready to blast the photog for taking his picture.

Frpm wtnh.com (Hartford News 8)

“A Hartford police officer was accidentally shot by a fellow cop as the two were responding to a robbery late Saturday night, according to police.

“The officers were responding to a robbery at a Subway restaurant on the 400 block of Franklin Street in Hartford. Police say two armed men went into the restaurant, displayed a weapon and took money from the register.

“When police arrived on the scene, one officer accidentally discharged his gun. It struck another officer in the forearm. The injury is considered non-life threatening.

“The officer was taken to Hartford Hospital.”

The report did not say which officer was taken to the hospital: the one who was shot or the partner he beat the hell out of for shooting him.

11. avatar BillF says:

They should get the kind of guns I have–the ones without that random/surprise discharge feature.

12. avatar Charles5 says:

“A police officer’s cruiser accidentally veered off the road and crashed during a response to an pursuit on Franklin Avenue on Saturday, and an officer was hurt in the arm, police said. It was not clear whether the officer whose cruiser crashed was hurt, or another officer. The injury to the officer’s forearm is non-life threatening, police said.”

1. avatar IdahoPete says:

Yes, if the car was an eeevil SUV.

13. avatar BillF says:

“If the officer had crashed his car, would the media blame the car or the officer driving it?”
    You betcha, Charles. That IS how it would be reported: “While responding to a call, the officer’s car left the highway at a high rate of speed….”

14. avatar Arod529 says:

This is a story of complete failure of firearms handling in all regards.

15. avatar David says:

Why is the Officer in the pic wearing an EOD badge? I realize he could be on the bomb squad, but that isn’t exactly EOD level proficiency.

16. avatar Patrick says:

Summary:
    “gun accidentally discharged … the officer whose gun discharged … one of their guns discharged”

The gun needs better finger control.

17. avatar IdahoPete says:

Here, let me correct that sentence: “A police office negligently discharged his gun during a response to an armed robbery …”

18. avatar Chad says:

“I shot the Sheriff”

1. avatar Chad says:

“But I did not shoot the Deputy”

19. avatar Skookum says:

Glock Arm Syndrome?

20. Thanks in favor of sharing such a nice thought, article
    is pleasant, thats why i have read it fully

21. Article writing is also a excitement, if you know afterward you can write or else
    it is difficult to write.

22. I quite like looking through a post that can make
    people think. Also, thank you for allowing for me to comment!

23. Hello! I could have sworn I’ve been to this blog before
    but after browsing through some of the post I realized it’s new to me.
    Anyways, I’m definitely happy I found it and I’ll be bookmarking and checking back frequently!