Daily Digest: Quick Hits

Ruger Logo

Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. announced Tuesday that it has finalized the purchase of a 220,000 square foot facility in Mayodan, North Carolina. This is the Company’s first major expansion in over 25 years, and the facility is due to be up and running by January of 2014, adding more than 470 jobs to the area. “Mickey Wilson, the plant manager, said the company will shift two production lines from Ruger’s New Hampshire plant, with the other lines being dedicated to new products and designs.” . . .

Baltimore County Police Department selects the new FN FNS-40 LS (long slide) as their new service firearm. FNH USA will deliver 1,920 guns beginning in August 2013. The pistols will be fitted with Warren-Sevigny Carry Night Sights and a 14-round magazine. Nick’s been dying to get his hands on the 9mm version that was announced at SHOT back in January. Tick, tick, tick….

Alaska recently became the latest state to join the nullification movement, passing HB69, which nullifies indefinite detention, gun laws, and parts of the REAL ID Act. “Utilizing the Tenth Amendment — which protects the rights of states to do whatever the federal government can’t do — Alaska has completely cut funding to a number of unconstitutional and illegal federal programs, including programs that violate the Second Amendment. This means enforcing those laws in Alaska is now essentially impossible.” Similar laws enacted by other states haven’t fared well when challenged in federal court. Stay tuned.

Lock up your guns, folks! Especially if you have a few neighbors and your house backs up to a square mile of agricultural land. An AR-15 rifle, a 9mm Beretta (both loaded) and 1,200 rounds of ammunition were taken from a home in Marion Oaks, Florida on Tuesday. Neighbors (there only two houses within 100 yards) say they neither saw nor heard anything.

And finally, Mackenzie Eaton who’s described by thecolumbian.com as a new gun owner, was celebrating Labor Day by playing with his new Glock on Monday when he created a new orifice on what he calls “the chop side” of his hand. Unafraid to own up to the embarrassing mishap, Eaton posted pics of his wound on his MyFace page and managed to peck out the news on, well, someone’s keyboard:

Clean Exit. But i Messed up my computer. BTW.. i damaged almost Nothing! and im So Greatful, i could have shattered my wrist or lost a finger or lost feeling in my whole hand or shot out the window and hit someone else. so go ahead and tell me im dumb, im already in the columbian online. http://goo.gl/mqzSR6 But Yeah.. I Learned my lesson the Easiest Hard-way possible.

comments

1. avatar JeffR says:

New gig for Matt in FL? If so, a little announcement that he is part of the staff would seem to be in order.

1. avatar Pascal says:

if Matt is now part of the team, good for him.

If like many of us, he loves the Daily Digest and just wanted to contribute, Thanks! much appreciated!

Since TTAG is officially now blocked at work, I can only read late at night and I like the Daily Digest.

1. avatar Andrew says:

I think my reading skills go to crap after 10 PM.

I was sitting here thinking “Geez! These paragraphs are all over the place, no rhyme or reason what so ever!” and then I saw your comment about the “daily digest”… time for bed.

2. avatar JeffR says:

It’s like the spam about Martha’s co-worker’s half-sister making $80 per hour from home was custom-made for Matt in FL’s first Daily Digest. I apologize for commenting about the spam, but the irony was a bit too much for me to avoid. Thanks for the post, Matt.

2. avatar CarlosT says:

It’s a nice upgrade from “stop flaming the site, Matt!”

1. avatar jwm says:

Matt never flamed the site. He just wasn’t shy about pointing out a few weaknesses in what is a pretty damn good site.

1. avatar In Memphis says:

Id like to point out a weakness. The false advertising. I cant get one of thoes jobs making $80 an hour at home. But Im not someones half sister either, maybe I should read the fine print.

2. avatar CarlosT says:

I know. That’s what I’m saying. Specifically, getting to write for the site is an upgrade over getting snipped at for correctly pointing out errors.

3. avatar CarlosT says:

There’s always a catch. Can you become someone’s half sister?

4. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

I like his up-front style. Matt is very fact based and does his homework.
          Thanks for the post Matt!

2. avatar In Memphis says:

Not sure about that one Carlos. I could change my name from Chris to Christina and move to Midtown Memphis.

3. avatar Matt in FL says:

They asked me if I wanted an announcement, and I said I preferred to remain behind the scenes and let it happen organically. I’ve been watching the spam filter and the incoming emails for a few weeks now, but it took me a while to figure out the flow (what stories are being picked up for full posts, etc) so I could work on the digest.

2. avatar Accur81 says:

I’m excited for Ruger’s new production plant. They make some good hardware.

1. avatar Davis Thompson says:

They need to crank out more Mini-14s and Mini-30s. I can still buy one of those in New York (to go next to my AR, of course.)

2. avatar Jon says:

+1…I own 4 Rugers and am a huge fan since I live in NC I will be going to visit. But like the guy below I can ever find any Mini 30’s and thats a rifle I would love to add to my collection

3. avatar Bruce says:

I was very happy to see the story about Ruger. I’ve been trying to get a 10/22 Sporter for over a year.

3. avatar Gov. William J. Le Petomane says:

Maybe the big BO should head down to NC and tout the 470 jobs he created there. Seeing how he’s probably sold 2 or 3 million Rugers by now.

4. avatar Andrew says:

Does this mean a f-ing ruger mark iii target will be available now for less than an arm/leg?

1. avatar In Memphis says:

Maybe but ammo will still cost your first born

1. avatar jwm says:

For the right ammo deal I got a couple of kids I’d let go in the trade.

2. avatar JeffR says:

And figuring out how to put the Mark III back together will cost your second. Rugers require a three-kid investment if you want to actually procreate.

2. avatar Bruce says:

Don’t know if the “f-ing ruger mark iii target” will be available, but perhaps the regular Mark III will be.

1. avatar Andrew says:

Ruger Mark iii, target (bull barrel version)

3. avatar Stinkeye says:

Maybe, but you still won’t be able to find magazines for it anywhere. Ruger needs to build a new factory just for making mags. I haven’t seen a 10/22, SR22, or 22/45 magazine available at a non-obscene price since last December.

Could be worse, though. At least Ruger makes guns, unlike Kel-Tec’s imaginary offerings. Seriously, has anyone ever seen a KSG, PMR-30, or SU-16 for sale at a gun shop?

5. avatar In Memphis says:

Its nice to see the daily digest back, again. Thanks Matt

1. avatar Gov. William J. Le Petomane says:

6. avatar Totenglocke says:

Why any gun manufacturer would want to arm the bad guys is beyond me. Their objective is to terrorize and subdue the public – why the hell would any freedom-loving business sell to them?

7. avatar Anonymous says:

Great. Hopefully they will give me an all metal handgun offering.

8. avatar Cody says:

For those of you that have live in a rural area, I have a suggestion. Store your seriously valuable things (ie ammo and short guns) in a real deal safe. I’ve run across surplus safes from Indian casinos (reside in OK) for as little as $1500 delivered. We’re talking a 1500lb 3’x4′ safe that takes legimate tools to break in to.

9. avatar Mediocrates says:

Nullification is a wonderful thing. Surely you don’t think the Federal courts will side with the States against their Big Daddy do you? Now, all we need is a Constitutional Convention to put the Federal government back in its place.

10. avatar Hannibal says:

Nullification… nullification… where have I heard that before? Oh yeah, that was one of the issues decided by the civil war. Good luck with that one.

1. avatar Mediocrates says:

yea, because having State’s stand up for their 10th Amendment rights is as silly as gun owners standing up for their 2nd Amendment rights.

2. avatar Tom says:

Nullification? The ignorance of these legislatures amuses me to no end. How about they do something that will actually solve their problem, repeal the 17th Amendment?

11. avatar Commie IL says:

@ Ruger. Good glad to hear it.

Now lets hope I have the funds to keep them busy.