Bloomsburg Fair Reverses Anti-Gun Stance

Reader Eric L. writes:
On August 29th, Robert Farago reported on a gun ban at the Bloomsburg Fair in Pennsylvania. When I got home, and for the remainder of the weekend, I spent my time on multiple local gun and news forums to find the specifics. I have even tried to organize a boycott (I found out that multiple boycotts were already started…so I just joined theirs). After multiple emails to the fair’s “superintendent of security” I received an email stating that due to the response from gun owners they WILL be allowing concealed carry, just not open carry. It is a small victory for PA gun owners, especially in the face is stupidity, but somehow I still feel it is not enough, for it should never have had to come to this. Either way, I thought you might like an update.

comments

1. avatar Joseph B Campbell says:

Should have allowed open carry also. They are just throwing a bone hoping you don’t devour the cow in the process. Be a shame if they threw a fair and nobody came.

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

Yeah, unfortunately that’s not gonna happen. The previous article said something upwards of 80k people attend this thing every year.

1. avatar Adam D says:

Just make sure to keep Hickok45 away from that giant pumpkin!

2. avatar Eric L says:

I would like to still boycott, and am trying to drum up support for it because I agree with Mr Campbell but I think as long as the fair supervisors allow concealed carry, most people will still attend………one battle at a time, I guess

2. avatar Mediocrates says:

expect Moms Demand Action to blame the NRA in 3….2…1….

1. avatar William Burke says:

In other news, it’s darker at night.

3. avatar mike says:

I personally dont like to open carry in crowded areas. I am a little worried about people bumping into me and maybe accidentally or purposefully dislodging something. That and I really dont need that kind of attention.

1. avatar Rich Grise says:

I agree.

2. avatar Accur81 says:

I carry concealed off duty and open carry on – duty in a Safariland holster designed for a Smith 4006 TSW with a light. Open carry in a crowd scares me – and swatting away little hands from my duty piece is a necessary evil. (Kids step all over my shined USMC Altama jungle boots, which necessitates additional polishing, but that is a side issue).

In a crowd, I would much rather CC than OC.

3. avatar PeterZ in West Tennessee says:

Take a look at what plainclothed officers wear in your area. Set yourself up with a similar rig – heavy belt outside the loops, supported by another belt inside the loops, with a retention holster on the right hip, handcuffs at the small of your back, and spare mag pouches on your left hip – and everyone will think you are a plainclothes officer.

As long as you don’t display a fake badge you are not “impersonating an officer.” You are just using similar gear.

1. avatar Accur81 says:

Peterz,

By the way, it isn’t legal for me to open carry while off duty, unless I have a badge showing. Screw that. I’d pretty much rather CC anyways unless I’m hunting or on the job. Heck, I CC when I’m going to court if I’m wearing a suit. If I get mistaken for a disgruntled short-haired businessman or attorney that’s fine by me.

I wouldn’t patronize a Bloomberg fair anyways.

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

Bloomsburg (Pennsylvania) and Bloomberg (Michael) are unrelated.

2. avatar Accur81 says:

Matt in FL,

I stand corrected.

2. avatar Hannibal says:

…and you’re still a wannabe weirdo.

Carry concealed in urban environments. If you have to open carry, do so without trying to be a pretend po-po.

4. avatar Cameron S. says:

My local fair had a sign banning weapons this year.

In my state, those signs bear no legal weight.

Only my girlfriend and I knew about my LCP, as it should be.