Matt in FL: “I challenge you to find anything more awesome than…

A functional (no projectile), rubber band-operated, shell-ejecting, handmade Desert Eagle. I don’t even have words for how awesome this is.” So what’s that text then, chopped liver?

comments

1. avatar peirsonb says:

Surprised the gun grabbers aren’t already up in arms about this asking for it to be banned from the internet al la the Liberator….

Otherwise, can we say “Obscure Object of Desire” :drool:

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

That is beautiful. Absolutely. But it better be, for $1800. And I still don’t think it beats the blowback operation and ejection of the Deagle.

1. avatar Wrex says:

Perhaps not, but still had to share it.

2. avatar Tomy Ironmane says:

The desert eagle is gas operated. Also, N frame DA revolver made out of paper:

2. avatar KCK says:

Hickock45 showcased the 1911 I believe.

3. avatar Lucas D. says:

That level of craftsmanship earns every penny he charges, but for $1,800 I can either buy a top of the line customized Para-Ord 1911 or three more of the Auto-Ord GI 1911s I already own. For me, the fact that they exist is sufficiently awesome, but I probably wouldn’t plunk down that kind of money for one even if I did have the cash to burn.

I didn’t catch a price on the wooden Deagle, but I’m guessing it either meets or exceeds the cost of the real deal, and frankly, I don’t even want to buy an authentic one. Certainly a cool replica, regardless.

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

I think the type of person that could and would spend $1800 on that probably has his fill of real 1911’s. Someone who buys that has a love of the gun that surpasses owning the actual thing. I don’t mean that in a negative way.

1. avatar Lucas D. says:

If someone has a love beyond owning the genuine article, then I’d recommend they stretch a balloon over the muzzle first to protect their investment.

2. avatar Chas says:

Oh, man, that is awesome! Me want!!

3. avatar In Memphis says:

Wow, just wow.

4. avatar DonS says:

Eat your hearts out, Melissa & Doug.

5. avatar speedracer5050 says:

Ok!! That is some Amazing woodworking skills right there!! I have got to get me one of these!!!

6. avatar g says:

Impressive!

7. avatar jwm says:

The only handgun that’s on the California Roster of Approved Handguns. Until someone gets a splinter, then it will be banned too.

8. Wow….that is impressive stuff. And here I was happy just to be able to fire spitballs accurately with a rubber band held between my thumb and forefinger when I was a kid.

9. avatar Damocles says:

You’ll shoot yer eye out kid!!!

10. avatar MotoJB says:

That’s so cool.

11. avatar BDub says:

Moses Browning would be proud of that boy.

12. avatar Leadbelly says:

Ingenious, but, speaking as someone who builds and repairs musical instruments and builds model ships as a hobby, the finish and workmanship don’t even come close to justifying the price. The wooden 1911 in the link above is a whole lot nicer, even if it doesn’t shoot rubber bands. In any event, I wouldn’t spend that kind of money on either unless I was so rich I couldn’t find any more yachts or Maseratis to blow my money on.

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

The one in the video is not for sale, at least nowhere that I can find. Thus there’s no price to justify. The 1911 is $1800.

2. avatar HiPlanesDrifter says:

Money spent on a yacht or a Maserati is not blown, it’s money well spent, dude! They’re both chick magnets!

3. avatar Conway Redding says:

This wooden Desert Eagle doesn’t shoot rubber bands, either. It doesn’t shoot anything. Beautifully done, though, and a nice gewgaw for someone so rich that getting up off of $1800 is the equivalent of spending $1.50.

13. avatar Renegade Dave says:

Trigger pull is too long. I’ll wait until the aftermarket catches up with aftermarket trigger kits.

14. avatar c4v3man says:

I can tell you what would be more awesome… files so I could 3d-print up my own!

Too busy with other projects right now to be able to try creating something of this complexity though, but I could definitely spare the time to print up an already designed model.

15. avatar Lars says:

Undeniable master craftsmanship. Beautiful and unique. The real thing is better of course I have a DE .50 and reload my ammo and the only funner handgun is my SW .500 mag, but this is so rare and it functions to some degree so it’s almost priceless. Useless but priceless.

16. avatar SpeleoFool says:

Do we have to stick with wood? Because this is pretty slick:
    Mini Ma Deuce

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

OK, that’s more awesome. I yield.

1. avatar speedracer5050 says:

Ok as cool as the DE Woddy is the MiniMa Duece is even cooler!! And I don’t much care for the .17HMR!! But that is damn cool anyways!!!

2. avatar SpeleoFool says:

FYI, they also come in 1919 (chambered in .22lr). I saw one of these at the Crossroads show in Phoenix a couple months ago. I think they were auctioning that one, although they told me they’ve been seen on Gunbroker for “expensive” (something like $6-8000, if memory serves).

In any case, the woodie Deagle was also very cool. Thanks for sharing.

1. avatar jwm says:

Went to their website. Said they were closing shop as of Dec 31, 2013. Guess it’s back to rubber band guns for us.

Anybody know if someone’s still making the rimfire Gatling guns?

2. avatar jwm says:

The perfect answer to home invasions.

3. avatar Lucas D. says:

This, I would buy.

17. avatar Russ Bixby says:

Hmmm…

At Celestial Seasonings, we’d frequently have rubber-band fights. It’s a good way to keep an office harmonious.

One day I showed up with a rubber-and “Gatling” with a 250 “round” magazine.

Seems engineers sometimes don’t get the finer points of social interaction…

18. avatar Russ Bixby says:

Alright. Finally got to see the video.

Brough’ a smile t’ me face, it did.

19. avatar Rich Grise says:

I don’t get it. What’s the point?

But notwithstanding that, is that long trigger pull that Renegade Dave mentions used to stretch the rubber band to power the slide? Or does it get wound up like a model airplane?

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

The point is it’s handmade, and awesome. The trigger pull doesn’t power the slide. It’s preloaded (not shown in the video) with 7 rubber bands (to match the seven rounds in the magazine) stretched from the front sight, along the top of the slide, and down into the mechanism.