Sneak Peek: My Lack of Free Time is Your Benefit

NickLeghorn

Looking at the calendar for the next two months, I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, I’ll be burning through all of my time off from the day job (and working extra days to make sure I have enough saved up) in the span of about eight weeks and will have exactly zero free time. On the other hand, the sheer awesomeness of what I’m going to get to do is astounding. And I’m bringing you guys along. Here’s what’s coming up . . .

This week, I’m going to visit the FNH USA manufacturing plant in South Carolina. I’ll be snapping tons of pictures of all the nifty machines, the genesis of FNH’s iconic firearms, and of course lots of glamor shots of the finished products. Keep in mind that FNH USA makes just about every small arm in the US government’s arsenal and you can see where this is going.

After I get back from South Carolina, I have less than a week before I’m on a flight to Oregon to compete in the second annual Crimson Trace Midnight 3-Gun Invitational. I’ll be live blogging the whole thing (well, as close to live as the cellular connection permits) and talking all about the guns and the gear. The stage descriptions have already been posted, and they look like they’re even better than last year. Oh, and I’m running this competition 100% suppressed. How cool is that?!

When I get back from Oregon, I’ll have three days to wash my gear before I’m back on the road for the AR15.com Pro/Am Competition at the Rockcastle Shooting Center. This is one of the 3-gun matches that I’ve always wanted to shoot, and getting the opportunity to do it as part of the FNH USA 3-Gun Team is incredible. I’ll be covering the whole thing, including stage breakdowns and how the team fares in the competition.

For the next event, I won’t need to go anywhere. I stay out at the Rockcastle Shooting Center and move over to a long range shooting clinic that Bushnell has put together in cooperation with Surefire, Accuracy International, Black Hills Ammo, Smith & Wesson and others. This is the clinic at which Chris Dumm stole the “longest shot by a TTAG writer” title away from me, and I plan on regaining that crown. And also playing with all the beautiful works of precision-guided art.

Then I get a weekend off. Kinda. I’m expecting that by this point the Colt Mustang XSP, the Taurus PT1911, and the Zastava M70A should have arrived at my FFL, and I’ll be putting those guns through their paces and reviewing them for your reading pleasure. Then, after the break, back on the horse again.

The following weekend is the final 3-Gun Nation Pro Series competition in Tulsa, Oklahoma. The entire season has been leads up to that point, and the race for the coveted 3-Gun Nation shoot-off slots will be heating up. Lena and Kay Miculek are in the lead for the ladies division, but with Dianna Leidorff (who’s only trailing by about 10 points) and Maggie Reese hot on their heels, will they be able to keep their lead? Will Larry Houck and Mark Hanish be able to wrap up a spot high enough on the list to make the shoot-off? Stay tuned.

The very next weekend, we’re off again to West Virginia for FNH USA’s own 3-gun event. I shot in the very first one a couple years ago and Larry is convinced that this year will blow everyone’s socks off. There’s also some rumors that we’re going to be allowed exclusive access to FNH USA’s gun vault to test out all their goodies, including some of the rarer firearms in production.

From there, the schedule finally starts to slow down a little. The Fallen Brethren match is about a week after FNH and located back in Texas, and I’ve just been confirmed as having a slot there. We’ll be blogging that one as well. Two weeks later, the legendary Blue Ridge 3-gun caps off our coverage of the 3-gun season with what promises to be one of the more challenging events of the year.

That’s two solid months basically living on an airplane. It’s going to be a blast, and you’re going to be there every step of the way. Stay tuned.

comments

1. avatar Jordan says:

How about a TTAG range day while you’re in SC? I’m sure I’m not the only loyal reader here in the palmetto state who’d be interested in something like that.

1. avatar Deacon says:

Palmetto State Armory’s range is only 20 miles from the FNH facility. In other words, I am all for this idea.

2. avatar Scooter says:

I’m stuck in my cubicle, working on my TPS reports. 🙁

1. avatar jwm says:

Have you got your red Swingline stapler?

1. avatar Joe Doakes says:

Mine was made in L.I.C. New York!!! I’ve got a permit to carry it on the subway!!!

🙂

2. Nobody looks at those anyway. Might as well clean some fish.

3. avatar Jordan says:

I’m gonna need you to go ahead and come in on Saturday too.

Jokes aside, I’d totally use a day of sick leave to hang out with our illustrious author and any other TTAG fans. It’s called a mental health day.

1. avatar PhoenixNFA says:

I highly recommend it. Nick is a class act and truly enjoys shooting for the fun if it. Had a blast even in the heat.

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Hey boss, I have an “eye” problem. “eye” can’t see myself coming in today…

2. avatar jwm says:

Hey boss, I have an an@l glaucoma problem. I can’t see bringing my a@s to work today.

3. avatar PeterZ in West Tennessee says:

My favorite: Boss, I can’t ccome to work today. The voices in my head are telling me to stay home and clean my guns.

3. avatar AlphaGeek says:

Mildly off-topic: I hate it when you guys hit “publish”, the email notification goes out, and you pull the post before I can click on it. Especially when it’s one I really want to read, like this one.

1. Our bad. Sometimes we just click the wrong button.

4. avatar Scooter says:

Lumbergh took back the Swingline…and I really am in a basement. No lie. Ah…the joys of gov’t service.

5. avatar detroiter says:

I had a similar (but way less awesome) month and a half bonanza of racing and skiing a few years back. I ended up with pnuemonia!

Don’t forget to sleep and take care of yourself………and keep us in the loop sounds like a ton of fun!

6. avatar Blehtastic says:

Is there a cowboy three gun? Double barrel, lever action, revolver? That could be fun.

1. avatar Longer_horn says:

They do. It’s called cowboy action shooting (CASS).

2. avatar Jordan says:

Building off of that, I think it’d be fun to do a WWII service weapon 3-gun match. I’ve already got the M1 and obviously need a 1911 to fill out my collection. Find a repro trench gun and i’d be all set!

1. avatar Rusty Owen says:

This is close. 20s and 30s themed guns, and I’ve seen videos of clubs that allow Garands.

7. avatar Jim Barrett says:

Planning to run the Crimson Trace 3 Gun totally suppressed? I’d love to know how you plan to suppress your shotgun.

On a related note, what is the holster plan for the suppressed 9mm? None of my holsters will work with a big honkin’ suppressor screwed on the gun and even if they did, the extra length would foul up my draw.

I assume you plan to run the rifle portion with your 300 BLK SBR? Or do you have a different rifle you can suppress?

1. avatar B says:

Slide holster maybe? Since he’s got a 30 cal suppressor he can stick it on pretty much any of his rifles. I thought I read he wasn’t allowed to do competitions using his other guns when he got his sponsorship.

1. avatar Jim Barrett says:

If this is not an FN sanctioned team event, then he is participating as an individual and can use whatever guns he wants.

8. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Holy cow, this does sound busy.
    Good luck (luck is where skill meets opportunity) Nick.

Maybe see you in Bend.

9. avatar FlaResident says:

I’m sorry to hear that you life sucks 🙂 If you needa break, I’ll cover the long range shooting clinic for you

10. avatar Jim says:

So can you eForm a Form 1 for a Trust?

11. avatar Karl says:

Longest distance target at Rockcastle is 1535 yards. I have reached out and touched it many times with my 338 Lapua. Let me know if you need a spotter.

12. avatar AaronW says:

Making a stop in NY? Be happy to say hi if you’re somewhere in Manhattan.

13. avatar Bill says:

Do you have to rub it in? Drop dead.

14. avatar CharlieKilo says:

Look forward to shooting with/against you at FNH, Peacemaker.

15. avatar Whatever says:

797 Old Clemson rd, I may have to do a courtesy call while you’re there Nick

16. avatar Joe Grine says:

Hey Nick… I’m bummed that I’m gonna miss the 3 -gun event in Bend. I was looking forward to hanging out. However, I have a long-planned backpacking that weekend.

17. avatar RLC2 says:

Have fun, Nick. You’ve earned it and
    here’s one reader grateful for all the info you will bring back.