Bloomberg and MAIG Deceive Mayors to Join, Pad Membership

Brian Maher is the mayor of Walden, New York. Shortly after he was elected, a petition came across his desk calling for “safer communities.” And, being someone who supported motherhood, apple pie and safer communities, he signed it. Little did he know, though, that the petition was actually a carefully designed trap set by Michael Bloomberg’s “Mayors Against Illegal Guns” group to get mayors to unwittingly join his anti-gun advocacy organization. And once Brian realized that his name was being touted by MAIG to pad its membership list, he found that getting off that list is as hard as trying to close your Facebook account . . .

From an article at Misfitpolitics.co:

The organization never asked for permission or asked for approval to use my name to promote their agenda. Never was any information disclosed to me about the organization being in favor of gun control or that they would use my position as Mayor to spend millions of dollars to try to take away the rights of legal gun owners. I, like several other Mayors around the country were defrauded by Bloomberg and MAIG.

Once I learned of their deceptive ways, it took several months to contact the organization as they concealed information about the people behind the group. After several attempts and requests to be removed, I did finally receive a call from a representative of the organization attempting to “buy me off” by promising political donations in return for my continued membership.

It was not until I declined this payoff, that my name was finally removed.

So, not only does MAIG use deceptive practices to add mayors to its group, but it then tries to bribe them to stay. That’s not really the way Michael Bloomberg pitches the org to the media, is it?

comments

1. avatar Tarrou says:

Rails, tar, feathers. The old ways are best.

1. avatar William Burke says:

Yes, indeed, they are. Our forebears possessed the correct methods to deal with really noxious members of the community. A good tar-and-feathering leaves an indelible, lifetime impression on one that prison time or monetary fines simply do not accomplish. On the high seas, keelhauling served a similar purpose. But keelhauling seems a bit over-the-top for offenses on the high seas. OH! Them barnacles!!!

HUMILIATION in the extreme is the key. Our forebears also banished terrible citizens to the forests outside the towns and cities, to fend for themselves. The thought of the midget mayor trying to kill a squirrel or fox with the very rock he longs to outlaw is as unto balm upon my soul….

1. avatar DavidT says:

I have long said the two best teachers in the world are pain and embarrassment. I have also found that they quite often work together.

2. avatar JeremyR says:

Keeling hauling isn’t over the top! unless the ship turned turtle…

2. avatar Sixpack70 says:

It is amazing the lengths people like Bloomberg will go to work towards disarming the populace. Bribing a Mayor to stay? I am glad he had the principles to refuse the money and stick to upholding the rights of the citizens.

1. avatar WA 2A says:

If only there were more people like him in the white house…

1. avatar JusBill says:

If only there were *ANY* people like him in the White House.

1. avatar William Burke says:

It’s been FOREVER since there was one like him in the White House… JFK long.

2. avatar Stinkeye says:

I think your way-back machine needs recalibrated, because you gotta go back a little further than JFK to find a principled, honest White House resident.

3. avatar Azman says:

Coolidge maybe?

2. avatar RLC2 says:

+1. Looks like a good guy. Glad he’s on our side.

3. avatar JoshinGA says:

Good on Brian Maher to refuse to be bribed into silence by Herr Bloomy. Honestly though, does this really shock anyone here? The liberals in general and gun control proponents in particular have been using these underhanded tactics for decades. Their already small membership numbers would be even smaller if they were unable to defraud and trick people as to what their true intentions as to gun control are: confiscation.

4. avatar pk in AZ says:

Do you really expect anything less from these CONTROL FREAK asshats?

1. avatar Jim R says:

He’s lucky. If this had been the mayor of Chicago, they wouldn’t have bribed him. They’d have sent some friends over to his house to “have a discussion”. And then we’d have another MAIG mouthpiece…or another tragic victim of gun violence–no doubt silenced by those evil right-wing Tea-Party extremists.

1. avatar William Burke says:

I do believe the residences of most sitting governors have state troopers guarding them, 24/7/365.

1. avatar JeremyR says:

But how would that protect a lowly mayor? Should he go stay with the governor?

5. avatar Matt in FL says:

This makes me wonder how many more mayors are on the list unwittingly. I mean, I know Orlando’s mayor is on there because he wants to be, because Orlando has a MAIG “interface person” on their payroll. But I wonder about other places.

1. avatar Blue says:

The Tallahassee mayor is there by choice as well. He was going to have a resolution to support MAIG and the Gun Registration Bill back in March. However, when he heard a bunch of us were coming to the City Commission meeting, it was quickly taken of the agenda.

2. avatar Avid Reader says:

Unfortunately, Denver’s mayor is a member and quite proud to be one.

On the other hand, little Glendale (surrounded by Denver, and host of MagPul’s Farewell to Arms event) has a libertarian mayor who has made it his goal to repeal one law per month. One of the first ones to go was an assault weapons ban that had been on the books for years but never enforced. Next up is one that makes it illegal to throw a rock at a bush..

I’m not kidding. . .

1. avatar Zack says:

Could you explain the AWB? Is it like kommiefornia?

I have no sympathy for an elected official who cannot read. If Maher is so stupid as to be conned by MAIG, he’s also too stupid to be the mayor of Walden, Dogpatch or any other place in the country.

1. avatar S_J says:

Credit where it’s due, at least Maher wised up to his goof and told MAIG to piss off. I’m sure there are other elected dumbasses that got duped into this scheme without their knowledge and still don’t care one way or another so long as the money and votes come in.

@S_J, I’m not buying it. It’s more likely that Maher was caught with his hand in MAIG’s cookie jar and was shocked — shocked! — to find that gungrabbing was going on in there.

1. avatar BillF says:

Still, some mayors have simply changed their positions and opted out. But getting their names off the rolls is impossible, even after they’ve fled. This is why Bloomie’s “people” continue to brag about how the organization is growing even though more and more sheep are bolting from the flock. Sort of like counting the Russian bomber as a gun violence victim. Same math Bloomie uses to create less crime in NYC– it’s all in the creative counting.

2. avatar JeremyR says:

Their petitions do not identify itas being from MAIG. They are carefully worded so as to avoid anything that links to them until after yo usign it and mail it back. Seen a few of them.

1. avatar RLC2 says:

Mayor Walaker is taking some heat from gun-rights girls with “edge”:

sorry to go OT, but you gotta watch this vid, from same site –
          its relevant to “the fight back or not?” question in the barber story…

2. avatar Blue says:

It would be good if the mayor would pull out of MAIG so Bloomer would lose a state.

2. avatar NYC2AZ says:

He had to sign it to find out what’s in it. Seems to be the political norm nowadays.

7. avatar C says:

“promising political donations in return for my continued membership.”

Is that legal?

1. avatar g says:

Probably not, but that isn’t gonna stop Bloomberg from throwing his money around to buy influence. How else you think he ascended the throne, er, mayoral office of NY?

2. avatar In Memphis says:

What was that Palpatine said in the horrible but politicaly true Star Wars Episode “1”

“I will make it legal!”

3. avatar William Burke says:

Roll away the stone you’ve been sleeping under… their laws apply to us, not them.

8. avatar Daniel Silverman says:

I wonder if the bribe money would be NYC tax payer dollars???

1. avatar Blue says:

They have been using city servers etc. to run MAIG.

1. avatar William Burke says:

What’s a “city server”?

1. avatar Avid Reader says:

Computers. They’re using space and time on NYC computers.

9. avatar ShallNot B. Infringed says:

Why is there no easy share links on the post/website? Just my own opinion, but I would think share links to common sites to spread the word is more important than ever. I never worry about it when I’m on my iPhone because its imbedded in the OS, but on the desktop version of the site it would be a nice addition. Just my 2¢, thanks for spreading the news about devious MIAG behaviors.

10. avatar Bret says:

Any word on a copy of the petition he was asked to sign?

11. avatar Aragorn says:

Deep pockets, no brains, a winning combination in the age of Obooba.

12. avatar ChuckN says:

Bloomberg and MAIG lie !?! Say, it ain’t so!

13. avatar In Memphis says:

According to a previous post here there MAIG is approximatley 1,000 members “strong?” A quick search shows that there are 19,354 cities in the USA.

Good job Bloomie.

Not sure how accurate that number is but here is my source:

My question is, why did he sign the darn thing if he didnt know what it is? Ive pi&&ed off impatient lawyers while reading doccuments in court before signing them and some might consider me simple minded.

1. avatar JPD says:

Sneaky, that’s how. Most likely buried in paragraph 364 is a weak reference to “joining” the committee for safe sewers, which is an offshoot of the commission on more grass in the park, leading to another group, which is a subgroup…you get the idea.

14. avatar bigskydoc says:

Hey Ralph and other resident lawyers, is this potentially actionable misrepresentation by MAIG?

If there are other mayors who’s names and likenesses are being used without permission some sort of class action suit would seem appropriate.

Perhaps damages would be small, limited to the portion of funds raised that could reasonably be assumed to be due to the undesired inclusion in the list, but the negative publicity for MAIG would be awesome.

-bsd

I checked, and all (two) of the MAIG associated mayors in my state are in fact MAIG supporters.

15. avatar NCG says:

I sure am glad that Bloomberg is the only billionaire being sneaky about throwing his weight around. Otherwise, I might fear for our fragile Republic.

1. avatar OldBenTurninginGrave says:

Sarcasm I assume? Just in case it’s not, might want to look up Darth Soros, a full fledged Dark Lord of the Progressives (George Soros; real piece of work).

16. avatar Ardent says:

Hmm, it seems the mayor of the county seat of my home county appears to be a member of MAIG. I assure you there is just no way he intends to be. I’d say he’s going to be plenty upset when I call and tell him that they list him as a member.

Regardless of his actual beliefs being a member of MAIG would be absolute political suicide here. The gun ownership rate has got to be in excess of 80% and the entire county and city government composed of Republicans.

17. avatar Bob says:

Maher says “MAIG membership has been reduced in half as Mayors around the country realize the lies and deceit of Mayor Bloomberg.” The rest of MAIG’s membership decline is attributed to old-fashioned politics: Mayors being indicted and losing elections.

18. avatar Roadrunner says:

You can conclude malice in those who habitually lie to you. Illegal Mayors Against Guns would probably be defending fraud charges and audits if their politics were different.

1. avatar JeremyR says:

You mean if we did not have rat bastard commies in the White House and (in)justice?

1. avatar Blue says:

They just added another rat bas. as Director of BATFE. In fact Juan McCain helped turn Murkowski to vote to confirm him.

19. avatar MannyF says:

Having lived in Walden in my teenage years, I don’t remember too many anti 2A folks. As usual, the NYC mentality tries to speak for everyone else in the state, even resorting to trickery to do so.