Defensive Gun Use of the Day: You Want What? Edition

“‘Leave these senior citizens alone,’ he said. ‘We ain’t playing. I’m serious. If they come knocking on my door, I got something for them.'” When barber Calvin Brown says he has something for them, he doesn’t mean the latest Roffler cut. A gentleman looking for money he hadn’t earned walked into Brown’s eponymous Columbus, Ohio tonsorial parlor Friday and demanded what was in the till. “Brown said he then hit the guy and shot him. The robbery suspect collapsed at a bank across the street from the shop. He was transported to Riverside Methodist Hospital in stable condition.” Brown had armed himself after his store was knocked over about a year ago. Senior or not, he doesn’t seem to be someone to trifle with – news that’s probably making its way through the neighborhood.

comments

1. avatar jwm says:

Boo-yah. Score still another for the good guys. Still another old fart, a recurring theme on these dgu’s, That ain’t playin’. No bystanders got hit and no dogs were shot in the process. Whaddya wanta bet he’s never been schooled by a HS/LD Operator either?

2. avatar g says:

Sounds like a safe place to get a haircut.

1. avatar jwm says:

If you plan on paying for the cut. Probably a good idea to leave a good tip, also.

1. avatar Peter says:

I’m not leaving a tip. I paid for the haircut. Same as Starbucks.

1. avatar jwm says:

And I thought I was cheap.

2. avatar Anonymous says:

I’d give him a tip just for shooting that guy. Good of him to do what our judicial system isn’t willing to do.

3. avatar JoshinGA says:

I aspire to one day reach an age where I can channel my inner not to be fvcked with old guy…

4. avatar William Burke says:

You needn’t be old to channel that guy. Good shootin’, Calvin! This sips for you, babe!!

5. avatar eric says:

Senior citizens deserve our respect, unfortunately they are targeted because of a perceived frailty and weakness. hopefully this will change some minds in that city

6. avatar Gtfoxy says:

Another perfectly nice young man stopped from doin his dirty job…

OH, the humanity!

Call up Bloomy & MAIG there’s another one of their innocent “Gun-Violence” victims bloody shirt to waive.

Oh wait, nobody is buying it.

7. avatar ready,fire ,aim says:

you go scissorhand’s…….

1. avatar Purphaze1952 says:

Lol. Would love to see a picture now that I have an image burned into my brain. Hahahaaaa

8. avatar swampsniper says:

Way to go, Calvin!

9. avatar DisThunder says:

I think Pharrell said it best, back in ’01:

I got something chrome
    And I got it from home
    And it ain’t a microphone
    And I dare a motherf***** to come in my place
    It’s so real how I feel
    Cause this society, that makes a old guy wanna kill
    I’m just straight ill, ridin’ my jazzy down the streets
    While politicians is soundin’ like strippers to me
    They sayin’, but I don’t wanna hear it

10. avatar Blehtastic says:

Home town goodness! Love it!

My Dad’s barber got stuck up a couple times(not this guy). Good to see the profession fighting back.

1. avatar Ursus Americanus says:

As a stubborn resident of the South Parsons Avenue area I can certainly vouch for the ‘toughness’ of the Linden area. I congratulate Mr. Brown on his willingness to stay put.

11. avatar John C. Hodge says:

Years ago in the neighborhood were two old guys, one retired FBI and the other a Brit who had fought in the (shudder) Burma Campaign that drove the Japanese back to Japan. Vicious, hand to hand combat over much of the country, with no quarter. It was so horrifying that the Brits, known as historians and biographers, have published little about it.

In any event, one day the FBI man noticed that the door of the Brit was ajar, so he went by to be neighborly. He went inside to see the Brit sitting on a chair opposite a home invader. Between them was a coffee table with a loaded and cocked handgun resting on it. The face of the Brit was dark and frightening looking. The young man, home invader, was a mess. Covered in sweat, he had been crying until he ran out of tears. His bladder and bowels had emptied while sitting there on the chair. He looked awful.

Grasping that something terrible had happened, the FBI man called the police. They arrived promptly to find the young man rigid, unable to move or get up. They had to carry him out to arrest him. But what impressed the FBI man was the face of the Brit. He said it was like gazing into Hell itself.

1. avatar Russ Bixby says:

Quoth Riddick:

“Did not know who he was fu¢king with.”

12. avatar Leon says:

Calvin you deserve a civic medal.
    Bravo!

13. avatar PCnotPC says:

Next time they’ll know to come in, beat down the old man, then take his gun and the cash.

Broadcasting this to the world only serves to train newer, smarter crooks.

1. avatar jwm says:

So if every bad guy simply throws a beat down on their intended victim what’s the point in carrying a gun they are simply going to take when they’re done? Maybe all ccw carriers should not carry for fear of losing their gun to a bad guy well learned enough to blindside them.

Or maybe guys like Calvin and all the other good guys can just up their situational awareness and not get blind sided.

1. avatar Gregg says:

As a Vietnam vet and a dues paying member of the over-the-hill gang I can assure you it’s no fun when these punks think I’m an easy mark. I may be older and bit slower, but I’m still faster than they are. At this time there are 4 of them sitting in Huntsville wondering what went wrong.

1. avatar jwm says:

The Texas state pen? Must be an interesting story. Last time I was in Texas, the 70’s, the prison system was a scene right out of Cool Hand Luke, without the good looking actors.

2. avatar RLC2 says:

Article sez the word is already out in the neighborhood.

Maybe next time there will be a couple of old-school customers also packing…

most of the old-timers in my small town barber shop are in there to get their familiar military-short trim… some Korea and VN vets, Marines…

I’d be careful with my assumptions is all I am saying.

1. avatar LongBeach says:

Those guys are Not To Be F^cked With. I don’t care how old they might seem. They are the hardest bastards on earth, and I bow to them.

3. avatar RKflorida says:

Thugs are not going to chance this place if they know the owner is ready for them. And don’t be stupid and think he is the only one armed. Old guys are not to be screwed with, they will kill you as soon as look at you.

Don’t mess with an old man. He won’t fight you. He’ll just shoot you.

1. avatar disthunder says:

Like Toby Keith says, I’m not as good as I once was, but I’m as good once as I ever was.

15. avatar LongBeach says:

Columbus, OH. The place of my upbringing. Nobody f*cks with anybody unless you f*ck with them first. Then they’ll f^ck with you HARD.

16. avatar great unknown says:

Couldn’t understand why the barber wasn’t arrested and charged with at least attempted murder. Until I saw the video.

17. avatar jwm says:

“Say WHAT one more time, motherfvcker!” Needed to be said.