New from Arsenal: A GAME CHANGER (To Be Named Later)

Game changer (courtesy arsenalinc.com)

The phrase “game changer” is as hackneyed as “he always gives it 110 percent.” It’s hard to imagine what kind of new gun could qualify as a revolutionary—rather than evolutionary—firearm. Even the trigger-challenged Chiappa Firearms Rhino had historical precedent. But hey, Arsenal imports some wonderful pieces, from the SLR-106FR (with a U.S. made double stage fire control group) to the New Jersey-compliant SAM7R. Arsenal’s PR peeps tease with “After two years of collaboration, hard work, and fine-tuning, the next and the most advanced member of the new [Bulgarian] SAM family of firearms, a real GAME CHANGER, is almost here.” Note: Nick’s endlessly annoyed by gunmakers selling minor variants as new guns. Stand by for an apoplectic fit.

comments

1. avatar tangledthorns says:

Mark my words, it’ll be a bullpup AK variant in 9mm!

1. avatar Mark says:

SOLD!

2. avatar pwrserge says:

WHY? I’ll take anything other than that.

3. avatar Azman says:

I’d love if it were a truly workable ak bullpup…in any caliber.

2. avatar jwm says:

A Galil for half the price?

1. avatar C says:

I’ll let Krieger do my talking for me. (NSFW)

1. avatar jwm says:

Man, that is so wrong. Cool, but wrong.

Which is more unlikely: a really “new” AK, a really “new” AR or a really new joke from Carlos Mencia?

4. avatar Mecha75 says:

I wonder if its the new AK-12? That would be awesome that US citizens can buy it before the Russian army gets theirs.

1. avatar Jeff says:

Nope. SAM family rifles are Bulgarian, not Russian.

1. avatar Mecha75 says:

Yeah I know. But it’s still a game changer.

1. avatar Lance says:

Since Russia has not worked much on the AK-12 I doubt they skip military export for a Civi version this fast.

5. avatar Richard says:

I agree with Nick unless shoot some thing better conventional ammo does. Does in way makes other guns absolute when come out it well hardly be game changer. After all there has been any thing from family of guns has been all ready try or done been suprising game changer.

1. avatar jwm says:

If my daughter smokes crack I’m pulling her out of school.

1. avatar rolling says:

@jwm

I don’t think I have laughed that hard in well over a year. Thanks for reminding me of that classic TTAG thread.

1. avatar Sam says:

Please link me…. I really want to see that thread!

2. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

@Richard
      If you were driving down the road in your canoe and a wheel fell off, how many pancakes would fit in a garbage truck?

6. Well if its truly a “game changer”, I’m sure that the boys at Red Jacket must be involved, and therefore it will be some hacked 6 barrel AK bullpup, hand cranked internally suppressed, “IT’S A CANNON” pos.

1. avatar C says:

nevah been done befo!

7. avatar DrVino says:

Either AK-12 or whatever the AK-107 (with the “counterbalancing” piston).

8. avatar Craig says:

IT’S GOING TO BE… PINK!!!

9. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

It’ll be a fully semi-automatic assault rifle, that has a 100 round magazine clip, it has the shoulder thing that goes up, and shoots a .50 bmg cartridge necked down to a sewing needle. Velocity is reported to be 90,000 fps.
    It’s the worlds first safe gun since the needle is so hot during travel, wounds are cauterized instantly, therefore no real injury occurs.
    If you point it up at a 42.635 degree angle, you can actually shoot yourself in the back.
    I know, a friend told me that his brothers chiropractor actually heard about the rumor!

1. avatar Charles5 says:

haha. Nice.

10. avatar Paul53 says:

I say it’ll be a pink AK bullpup suppressed tazer with 1000 yard range.

11. avatar Emfourty Gasmask says:

You can’t really do much more to a Milled receiver other than tacticool them out, I suppose. I personally doubt it is an AK-12 or AK107 variant, considering that is a Russian development on stamped rceivers and the SAMs are Bulgarian on milled receivers.

12. avatar sean says:

Phaser?

1. avatar Mark says:

I have been waiting for a type one hand phaser since the sixties! Just imagine Trayvon Martin getting charged with assault, battery and attempted murder because Zimmerman stunned him.

1. avatar Cliff H says:

Sorry, I’m afraid a Type 1 hand phaser would be prohibited as they have, as you must be aware, an intentional overload setting that turns them into a small thermonuclear device.

13. avatar PNG says:

A game changer would be nothing short of a “Mass Effect” gun, so if that’s what they’re cooking up, great!

Mills its own sand grain-sized ammo from a metal block;
    Uses mass-reducing fields to vastly increase velocity;
    Uses magnetic fields to launch the bullets;
    Ammo modifications: wanna freeze your targets solid? Done. Put bigger holes in them? Sure. Set them on fire? Yes!
    Performance limited only by heat sink capacity, and whenever the ammo block runs out (not for a while)

1. avatar William Burke says:

You mean like a particle-beam gun?

Pretty sure that’s not the case. Is THAT the case for it, speaking of?

1. avatar PNG says:

William, typical weapons in the Mass Effect games aren’t particle-beam weapons (they do exist, but are rare), but are more like modern weapons that use mass accelerators instead of chemicals, and lots of other doodads.

Come to think of it, that case would be quite nice for a particle-beam weapon or any other space gun…

2. avatar Nine says:

I’d take 1000 Avengers, 2000 Mattocks, 500 Revenants, and 10 Mantis Snipers.

Love me some Mass Effect.

1. avatar PNG says:

Mattock rifle + Locust SMG + Viper sniper rifle = WIN.
        Can you tell I’m an Infiltrator, Nine?

1. avatar Nine says:

Mattock AR, Paladin pistol, Locust SMG myself.

Sentinel~

2. avatar PNG says:

I’m also partial to the Phalanx and N7 Eagle pistols myself.

14. avatar MojoRonin says:

RPK receivers? …oh, uh, VEPR’s have those…

15. avatar In Memphis says:

Maybe its a shoulder thing that, wait for it…

Goes down!

16. avatar PCnotPC says:

Revolver.

1. avatar janitor says:

european made 1911….they moved the mag release to the bottom of the grip.

17. avatar Blehtastic says:

I hate football.

If it was a baseball field in the marketing I’d guess a louisville slugger furniture AK, which could be awesome.

18. avatar Dr. Mike says:

I’m hoping for a milled AK variant that has a hinged receiver cover like a Krink that is rigid enough for an aperture type rear site like an AN-94. That would be my ideal dream AK. Maybe it takes STANAG mags, lots of folks would like that.

There is no need whatsoever for a balanced recoil system like in an AEK for a semi-automatic rifle, as it is not designed to balance the recoil impulse from the firing of the cartridge (which is very minimal with AK-74 style muzzle brakes), but rather to negate the impulse generated by the rapid cycling of the somewhat heavy bolt carrier during automatic firing.

That said Arsenal makes and sells good stuff. Every product of theirs that I have ever handled was very well made. So even if it isn’t a “revolutionary game-changer” I’m sure it will be well built.

1. avatar Fug says:

This.

They refer specifically to the SAM family and the latest release in the SAM line was the SAM-7 Pistol with a milled, hinged receiver and a peep sight.

I do not think it will take NATO mags, but I do think it will be in 5.56mm and 7.62mm. K-var has had arsenal 5.56 mags available throughout the crisis.

I’m expecting a folding stock as well, as they offer ACE style folders on their military and LE SAM rifles.

1. avatar Dr. Mike says:

I changed my mind. I still think the new rifle will fit my previous description. I changed my mind about the ideal rifle for Arsenal to bring to market.

A completely USA made SVD (Snayperskaya Vintovka Dragunova). Any price tag under $2000 and I’d max out my credit limit buying as many as I can fit in my safe, and if I still wasn’t completely broke I’d purchase more SVDs and a second safe. Please, Please, Please, Please, Pretty Please bring us a Dragunov!!

19. avatar schizuki says:

7.62/5.56 convertible?

1. avatar Blehtastic says:

Now that you mention it, with that tagline it probably is a caliber changing rifle designed for three gun.

20. avatar schizuki says:

An AK that doesn’t cost as much as an AR?

21. avatar Mike says:

I’m thinking an AK that takes AR15 mags in 5.56 or 6.5 grendal or both.

22. avatar William Burke says:

Personally, I’ve never given more than 102%. Proud of it, too.

This is no “game-changer” unless it’s a rail gun….

23. avatar Jesse Nelson says:

Well I’ll go out on a limb and cast my vote for a PP-19 Bizon pistol.

24. avatar oopsdidisaythatoutloud says:

“Game changer”?
    Did they hire some NFL officials?

25. avatar WLCE says:

SAM family of firearms…

Its probably the AR-M12F based on a bit of searching. http://www.arsenal-bg.com/images/defense_police/thumbnails/7.62ar-m12f.gif

Its just a guess though. I was hoping for the AK12 actually.

1. avatar Fug says:

You are on the right track, but that has a 12″ barrel. It looks like Arsenal has milled receivers with a rear extension and built in, proprietary folder? That must be the secret. They have them in both 5.56 and 7.62 and they do look pretty slick.

26. avatar beanfield says:

It’s zombie themed “Chernobyl’ AK painted neon green w/ chain saw bayonet.

27. avatar mediocrates says:

“Stand by for an apoplectic fit.”

thanks for the heads up. adding popcorn and beer to my preppers list….

28. avatar Agitator says:

Phased plasma rifle in the 200 megawatt range.

29. avatar Seraphim-angels says:

The clue is who they maybe collaborating with, granted even though Arsenal is Bulgarian, some of the rifles they sale are Russian.. The Israeli’s have the Ace Galil, the USA has no known Galil Manufacturing..;)……….please…A Bulgarian -Russian-Israeli Galil…

30. avatar Nanashi says:

Bulgarian AK? My monopoly money is 5.56 taking STANAG magazines. Its been done, but factory rifles in the US that have it are a rarity.