Nat Geo Asks: Why No Questions Asked At Guns Shows?

It’s legal in America for Americans to sell firearms, knives, throwing stars, baseball bats, household cleaners, defective baby gates, swimming pools, trampolines and other potentially lethal items to each other without a criminal background check. Note: in none of these cases is it “no questions asked.” The buyer asks the price. The seller asks for the money. That’s at least two. I have two more for the National Geographic reporter. One: what’s the risk to liberty (i.e. Americans’ natural, civil and Constitutionally protected right to keep and bear arms) of inserting the federal government into private firearms transactions? Two: have you run out of elephants to film? [h/t Don N]

comments

1. avatar alanhinMN says:

That show was stupid. They had a big suspenseful buildup to going in a gun store and trying to make a straw purchase. They acted like the were going to talk to criminals inside the gun shop. Most stupid show on guns I have ever seen. TTAG should have had a viewing party. You could tell the female on the show grew up across the pond.

1. avatar JoshinGA says:

Did they actually complete a straw purchase? Because filming yourself committing a felony doesnt seem like the smartest thing to do…maybe they were hoping for the David Gregory treatment?

2. avatar Hal says:

Oh no! Not the dreaded automatic-assault-revolver of war! The horror! I read on MSNBC that it can kill 800 kids with just one shot! We need to ban anything with a rotating cylinder that can hold more than zero rounds! Do it for the children! Do it because it’s shiny! Shiny guns must be banned! Shiny guns with 10 in barrels are “cop killers!” Oh the humanity!

1. avatar Hal says:

Oh… and that scary black pistol comes in a fancy case with accessories… it’s obviously a professional hitman weapon!

We must ban hitman guns! The easy availability of hitman guns encourages people to become hitmen! Blood will run in the streets I tells ya! Gun ownership infringes on our right to life! Did I mention blood in the streets? In the streets I tells ya!

3. avatar Jus Bill says:

Where was the show held?
      After purchase, did s/he take the guns to a neighboring jurisdiction?
      What did they ultimately do with the guns they bought?
      How many laws (local, state, Federal) did those muppets violate?

1. avatar Gtfoxy says:

The gun show they went to was in Arizona.

2. avatar Bret says:

So the background checks don’t count as questions? I really used to like Nat Geo but now they just let any crap pass as a program.

1. avatar Blue says:

Every body seems to want to be political hacks and social justice advocates.

2. avatar Jim R says:

They’re there to further the narrative, like every other TV station. Statists control almost every media outlet that’s there–radio, print and TV–so this shouldn’t surprise you.

3. avatar Cliff H says:

I do like some of the Nat Geo programming, but less and less. This is over the top, but they lost my respect years ago when they so obviously drank the “global warming” Flavor Aide that it seemed to poison almost everything they do. (They did not serve Kool Aid at Jonestown.)

1. avatar William Burke says:

Right. There was no need for the more expensive brand as a vehicle to deliver cyanide.

3. avatar jollyroger says:

I’m glad all the gun shops told them to pound sand. I watched it and got sick at the useless sensationalism. My only question is what did they do with the guns they bought? Resell them? Cause I’ll give them a good price.

1. avatar Taylor Tx says:

Im sure its a Space Cadet Kelly operation and theyre going to turn them in for “illegal scariness”

1. avatar DerryM says:

Or $50.00 Wal-Mart Gift Cards….

2. avatar jollyroger says:

Would that be a straw purchase. Buying a gun with the intent of giving it to someone else.

1. avatar Jason says:

I think it’s only a straw purchase if the recipient can’t pass the 4473. But the 4473 does ask if you’re the intended user. If you check ‘No’, will the FBI deny the sale or just do a more thorough check? After all, it could be a birthday gift to a non-prohibited person.

4. avatar Blue says:

Most of them are NOT private sales. The FFL dealers have hundreds per dealer.

The bimbo seemed shocked when none of them turned up stolen. Furthermore, the ass hats probably staged the whole thing.

1. avatar TFM says:

She didn’t say they weren’t stolen, hanging on to the very end of possibility she said none of the guns *appear* to be stolen.

1. avatar Kelly In GA says:

Yes, because stolen guns come with those nice dye packs…

5. avatar Mike H says:

I watched half of the show last night, but had to turn it off when they went to Mexico and stated that most of the cartell’s guns came from US sources and didnt bother to mention the DOJ’s gunwalking. Of special interest was the Browning M2 that the cartels supposedly bought in the US …. where can I get one of those!

1. avatar B says:

Of course those full auto M-16’s came from the US, the US government gave them to the Mexican Army. Not gun stores or straw purchasers, the freaking government. Then they got stolen from the Mexican army.

1. avatar AJ says:

Given the level of corruption down there, it’s probably more accurate to say that the Mexican Army sold them to the cartels.

1. avatar AaronW says:

They either bribe/coerce people with keys to the armories (Plomo O Plata), or insert moles into those trusted positions.
          Some of those weapons are leftovers from the various Central American conflicts that make their way north.

2. avatar neiowa says:

That is the dumbest part of the Obuma/Holder gunruning operation. Uncle Sam has given the Mexican miliatry anything they have wanted for decades and the thieving bastards then sell it to anyone with $. Only the lowlevel scum want Holders toys. The bigshots can have the bigtime firepower any moment they want.

6. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

I bought a Polish dog at the last gun show. No questions asked. They even threw in relish and onions.
    Whew! That was a close one…

1. avatar Nate says:

Sounds like it was a high cap bun

2. avatar Pulatso says:

Wait…relish and onions? That’s two features, that makes it an assault dog.

1. avatar Pete says:

If it was wrapped in foil, that’s a grip right? Three features.

7. avatar Greg says:

Anyone else notice they pretty much copied VICE. There was nothing original just stolen ideas.

1. avatar William Burke says:

SO hard to find a good producer these days…

8. avatar Bill Derer says:

In PA, you can only sell a long-gun to another resident of PA without needing a background check. A non-resident would need a check, so long as the long-gun did not violate their own state’s laws. And any handgun in PA requires a background check. I hate stupid reporters that don’t report the whole story.

1. avatar Blue says:

She isn’t really a reporter. She had an outcome she wanted. Unfortunately for her agenda, she wasn’t able to buy any stolen guns at a gun show from individuals. Imagine that.

1. avatar neiowa says:

Angling for a research grant from the CDC.

2. avatar DAN III says:

I seldom visit PA gun shows anymore. Nothing there except Pakistani copies of Samurai swords, GI surplus cleaning equipment and Chicom-made backpacks, beach glass jewelry, beef jerky (maybe). No firearms. If so, very few and overpriced.

9. avatar JoshinGA says:

The sheeple are terrified of liberty/freedom. Sound the alarm!

10. avatar Mike says:

You don`t even need those two questions you posed. If the price is clearly shown on the gun then you don`t need to ask how much it is. You just give your credit/debit card or cash and no words need to be spoken other than hello, goodbye.

Also has there been an uptick in defective babygate violence?

11. avatar Blue says:

The should have verified that she wasn’t an undocumented Democrat though.

12. avatar DisThunder says:

I used to work with a guy- he’s retired and chasing girls half his age now- who would read or listen to a story now and then, and look over at me and say “When society collapses, it’s going to be exhausting, telling all of these pro-control types ‘I told you so’. The good news is, they’ll be short conversations. cuz’ they’ll all be dead.”

13. avatar ensitue says:

she and her husband/producer are both graduates of Columbia Univ. They are both clearly in the Civilian Disarmament Meme and most of their ‘documentaries’ are clearly propaganda, if your Not a no-info voter

1. avatar Rob1796 says:

Its a shame, because she’s kinda cute.

2. avatar PeterZ in West Tennessee says:

Wait a minute. I went to Columbia College. I am a person of the gun. Of course, I graduated before she was born.

14. avatar Fred says:

It’s pretty obvious they just wanted to get on the bandwagon. They wanted some ratings related to all the recent hype about guns. I’d equate it to ghost hunting shows; a half-hour of stock footage, exciting cut-aways, suspenseful staring at people, and by the end nothing really happens.

1. avatar disthunder says:

Shhh! What was that? Shhh! Did you hear that? What was that?

1. avatar Chip says:

OMG! Over there! What was that!

15. avatar DerryM says:

What’s the Title of the Show? I am staying at my Brother’s caring for our Alzheimer’s afflicted Dad this week and did not get a chance to check “Nat Geo’s” TV schedule, as Dad only watches certain things. It’s an Alzheimer’s Patient thing. I’d like to check for a re-run before I renew my subscription to National Geographic Magazine…don’t care much for their “tree-hugger” articles any more, but damn they’ve still got some of the greatest Nature Photographers in the World on Staff. It would be fine with me if they just cut the text and printed all pictures with basic captions.

16. avatar John Galt says:

I stopped paying attention/giving money to NatGeo once they started vilifying hunting and conservation efforts.

1. avatar ensitue says:

try YouTube

17. avatar Matt in FL says:

Last line in the video: “The crazy thing about all this is you just go up to them and buy whatever you want, no questions asked.”

Listen carefully, because what I’m going to say is important.

God bless America.

1. avatar Ing says:

I’m not a religious man, but I’ll say it too: God bless America, and AMEN.

18. avatar ensitue says:

Van Zellar’s family is VERY wealthy/ influential through-out Europe and owns many assets, noted for their Leftist leanings. True Limousine Liberals, involved in UKs NHS among others

19. avatar Sixpack70 says:

These people so hate gun culture and firearms. They just don’t get it that the only felon at the gun show was her after making a straw purchase. They can’t understand that most gun owners are good people and can be trusted. They are the intellectually challenged elite and believe that everyone else is too stupid unless they are told how to breathe.

20. avatar Carlos U. says:

But it had scary, somber, ominous music! Every time they went to do something completely legal and constitutional, it had scary music! Please, please stop the scary music!

21. avatar Jason says:

I bought a motorcycle a few weeks ago. All the heartless sales guy wanted to know was how I was going to pay for it. He didn’t ask if I was old enough to drive, if I had a license, if I had DUI convictions, etc.
    I demand a federal investigation!!
    Why do we have a professional police force, if we don’t use them to force private citizens to act as policemen?
    If George Zimmerman rode a Kawasaki, Trayvon Martin would still be alive!

22. avatar JFP says:

Bah, she liked handling those guns at the end there. She’ll deny it but she liked holding that S&W hand cannon.

23. avatar CarlosT says:

Okay, let’s suppose questions were asked.

“Are you a criminal or something?”
    “No.”
    “Okay.”

NICS was originally proposed to be open to private citizens, but that was taken out of the final legislation. When Coburn proposed a system by which private citizens could perform background checks without the government knowing which weapons, if any, were purchased, the antis flipped out. The agenda is registration, then confiscation. Period.

24. avatar Mark N. says:

I wish I could go into a gun show and buy a handgun “no questions asked.” In California, almost all transfers require a background check, including gun show sales. And it is against federal law to purchase handguns outside your state of residence unless (a) the handgun is legal in your state of residence and (b) that transaction is handled by an FFL in your place of residence. I am not too interested in committing a federal offense merely to obtain a firearm.

1. avatar Jason says:

Uhh…move?

25. avatar swampsniper says:

I got rid of my TV almost 10 years ago, when will it be on Youtube?

26. avatar Darren says:

I watched this episode and the one on “spice” and Bath salts. In the Spice episode, they were all “OMG, you can buy synthetic drugs in America! ” In the gun episode, it was “OMG, you can buy guns in America!” for both, I was thinking, WHO THE HECK CARES! They seemed to have no problem with militarized police, though. Yawn.

Also, they did not show how to use the spice to fold space.

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

“Also, they did not show how to use the spice to fold space.”

And this is what’s wrong with documentaries nowadays. They never give equal time and tell the full story.

2. avatar Hamchuck says:

Nice Dune reference! Someone needs to get working on those voice powered hand cannons. It will eliminate the ammo shortage problem.

3. avatar Jason says:

In my EE classes we used SPICE all the time. But I’m not sure what bath salts have to do with designing integrated circuits.

27. avatar gemalo says:

Eddie Murphy in ‘Trading Places’ —- Is there a problem officers? I guess showing a normal, forthright American citizen buying a gun at a gun show, taking it home, and doing absolutely nothing illegal or unsafe with it, is just too boring for TV. Gotta have the drama. Total BS.

28. avatar Jay also in Florida says:

I just bought a 1911 on GunBroker last month.
    When it arrived from Texas, the NICs check took 20 GD minutes………..My tax dollars at work.
    Whatever happened to the word instant????
    Ive lost 19 GD minutes of my life over this legal transaction.
    Next time Im going to a gun show…………..

29. avatar Mediocrates says:

Tell the Federal government to go suck it. They have zero authority to intervene in a private sale of used goods.

30. avatar Mediocrates says:

That never happens at any gun show I have ever gone to. The parking lot is another story.

31. avatar lorece says:

Background checks ARE done at gun shows in Oklahoma.