Irresponsible Gun Owners of the Day: Algerian (?) Shotgun Twirlers

Syrian shotgun twirlers (courtesy liveleak.com)

The desire to show-off with a gun is part of the natural human desire to attain status within a group, to stay in the gene pool and secure more resources for the individual’s genetic progeny. Naturally, the standards of acceptable ballistic bonding behavior vary from culture to culture. Nick, Dan and I shot a piece of paper at The Best of the West range and said things like “great!” “cool!” “I want one of these” and “God DAMN it’s hot! Where’s my umbrella?” (my bad). These Algerians (?) have a different idea when it comes to firearms fraternization. [Click here for the video] Who’s to say it’s a bad thing? I mean, I like watching it. At a cigar bar. In Austin. Actually, no. This is bad! A Darwin Award waiting to happen. Which, as well all know, strengthens the breed. (Notice the lack of women in attendance.) And that, my friends, is the [now not so] secret truth behind TTAG’s Irresponsible Gun Owner of the Day.

comments

1. avatar pwrserge says:

Holly ricochet Batman!

1. avatar utdmatt says:

They’re definitely using blanks, but if one of those went off while pointing at somebody’s head from 1 foot or less, well, you’ll put your eye out kid…

2. avatar Keith M says:

That’s just crazy.

1. avatar Joke & Dagger says:

The new TTAG commenters: little girls leaking urine all over themselves because a bunch of adult, consenting males in a Middle Eastern country twirl shotguns and fire blanks at the ground during some sort of celebration. Really?

3. avatar mark_anthony_78 says:

This article is quickly heading towards the “Three Strikes and You’re Out” Edition 😉

(OK, the vid works now but that picture quality and attached image look like it’s clay animation gone amok).

4. avatar Shire-man says:

I get that war cheapens life but you’d think risking a reduction of numbers in such a way would be frowned upon. Dont do the enemies job for them.

5. avatar Mike says:

This doesn’t look like Syria. Syria is extremely polarized right now and the lack of flags or emblems of any kind (whether pro-Assad, pro-rebel, or Kurdish) is a strong sign this is either a very old video or taken from another part of the region. Also, the lack of beards. I’m guessing this is probably a village in Lebanon. Villagers there are very proud of their guns.

1. avatar rlc2 says:

Ya kewl but liveleak Commenters opine Algeria, etc
      -likely Gypsies using blanks as entertainment for a wedding.

Makes sense. These people are having fun rather than chanting Allayed Akbar and chopping off heads. That would be Syria.

1. avatar Shooter Newcomb says:

that would be the FSA- not to be confused with the SAA- Syria’s army. Syria is being invaded by terrorist jihadists as was Libya. And in the spin, the western media depicts all middle easterners as crazy A’rabs.
        if one supports the idea of a sovereign nation protecting itself and opposes the spread of deadly jihad terrorists, then he should support the PEOPLE of Syria, for some day it may be US. the only difference is that here many terrorists wear pin striped suits. some are named Barack and quietly support their FSA buddies.
        Sorry for my rant- but I’m getting sick of seeing hundreds of thousands of PEOPLE like you and me get slaughtered because they are stuck in a turmoil instigated by outsiders.
        And please don’t call me a libtard.

6. avatar thatoneguy says:

I don’t think they were packed with shot. If they were there would have been people on the ground writhing in pain.

1. avatar rt-texas says:

I wondered the same thing. Seems like a major lack of buck shot flying around.

2. avatar Jim says:

Agreed. There didn’t appear to be any recoil so I believe they were using blank charges. Blanks can be very dangerous, and even lethal, if used that way. These are crazy people.

7. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

HOLY CRAP!

8. avatar SD3 says:

Sorry, I stopped looking after I read “Syrian”.

9. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

Too much muzzle flash. They’re not real shotgun loads, most likely blanks.

Shotgun loads use very fast powder – pistol-fast powders. The powder is completely burned by the time the wad exits the muzzle.

1. avatar Gyufygy says:

Why do they use such fast powders in shotguns? Pistols I understand because of the barrel, but shotties?

1. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

A rapid expansion factor (ie, how quickly the volume increases as the wad goes down the barrel), coupled with a desire to get the pressure build done and over with before the wad gets down into the part of the barrel we want to make thin & light.

10. avatar bruce lorraine says:

1400 years of inbreeding might be part of the problem here.

11. avatar mediocrates says:

which is why I support abortion. It strengthens the breed.

Wrestling is now banned from the Olympics and this sport might take its place. The Syrians would be big favorites for the team medal if they don’t kill each other accidentally or on purpose before they get to Rio.

13. avatar Patriot says:

Are they slaughtering pigs in the background?… Ah, no just the background music.

1. avatar Shooter Newcomb says:

that was the dude in the distance that just got his ba@@s blown off by the ricochet.

14. avatar Anonymous says:

Psycho

15. avatar Matt in FL says:

My ears are ringing in sympathy.

“Going out to the field today, Hi, what’s your name?”
    “MY NAME’S BOB FLEMER.”
    “Bob, what do you do?”
    “I’M IN ARTILLERY.”
    “Thank you, Bob. Listen, can we play anything for you?”
    “ANYTHING, JUST PLAY IT LOUD, OK?”

16. avatar IdahoPete says:

Darwinian selection, or just Islamic celebrations of “death to the infidels day”?
    The hopeful part of the “Arab Spring” is that it has now defaulted to the normal Shiite vs. Sunni killings. Hey, you’ve got radical muslims killing each other with the encouragement of the leaders of Iran, Iraq, Egypt, etc. – sounds like a positive trend for the Religion of Peace, especially during the sacred month of Ramadan.

17. avatar Shooter Newcomb says:

looks like toebloin’ fun. do they have an instructional video available?

18. avatar Steve M says:

Stay calm. I’m sure they’re all honor graduates of the Shotgun Twirling program at SSSU- Sub Saharan State University.