CA Poster Art Exhibit Opens Gun Discussion. Or Not.

Ursla Black's anti-gun agit-prop poster (courtesy upinarmsblog.com)

“A new art exhibit is taking aim at the subject of gun violence,” sanluisobispo.com reports. Taking aim? Geddit? “The Steynberg Gallery’s exhibit ‘Up In Arms: A Creative Response to Gun Violence’ features 100 protest posters created by about 45 artists, all dealing with firearms. Event co-organizer Melinda Forbes said the purpose of ‘Up in Arms’ is ‘to give people a voice and a venue’ to discuss gun violence.” Discuss. Riiiiight. “’What we’re hoping to do is generate some thought about what we can do to make this country safer and saner,’ Forbes said.” Like restoring Californians’ natural, civil and Constitutionally protected right to keep and bear arms? To paraphrase a smart Alec, this is not the conversation they’re looking for. Click here for a selection of this year’s crop of anti-gun agitprop in the grand Soviet propaganda poster tradition.

comments

1. avatar gyrfalcon says:

Guns are bad mmmkay?

2. avatar Bret says:

Saw some anti hunting ones there. Guess they gave up on the “we think the second amendment covers hunting” they spew.

1. avatar In Memphis says:

Dear Vegitarians,

Even plants think you are wrong.

Respectfully,
      The Venus Fly Trap

3. avatar user3369 says:

That’s an awful lot of mocking gun owners and not so shockingly short on solutions to gun violence.

1. avatar SurfDude says:

If you think “gun violence” is the poor boston terrorist getting shot, then up yours. Where gun ownership is up, homicides are down. If gun violence means dead criminals, I’m all for it.

4. avatar Old Ben turning in grave says:

More self-important wannabe artists trying to get attention for their mediocre work by attaching it to some hot political topic they neither truly care about nor understand.

1. avatar C says:

That’s the whole “art” scene.

2. avatar Roscoe says:

They should probably stick with paint by number.

5. avatar barstoolguru says:

if I go to the exhibit can a wear my GUN

6. avatar Hal says:

Stickman should open his own gallery next door with nothing but his own beautiful snapshots of various arms.

7. avatar John Boch says:

Celebrating ignorance. How special.

Bless their low-information hearts.

Ignorance really is bliss, isn’t it.

Somehow I think California is even worse than Illinois… Obviously more than half of the people in California are dumber than average. Way more than half.

John

1. avatar Chuck Pelto says:

Not merely celebrating ‘ignorance’.

Celebrating rank stupidity.

Stupid, adj., Ignorant and proud of it.

8. avatar c4v3man says:

Was hoping to see one painting telling a person standing in front of some children “don’t use that gun to kill kids, use a hanger instead”. Guess that’s too much to hope for. Seemed like some of the art exhibits I saw in Austin while visiting were at least somewhat balanced even in “hippie” exhibits, with crazy art pieces on both sides of the topic being discussed.

9. avatar JoshinGA says:

How “special”. Which may also be appropriate to describe the cognitive functions of the author(s) behind these works.

10. avatar 505markf says:

Well, I admit that I thought Lennon’s song, “Give Peace a Chance” was pretty cool. But then I became an adult, eventually a husband, and then a father (yeah, actually in that order – go figure). I’d no more try to defend my family from threat of harm by crooning some old song that I would by asking the home intruders to pause while I light some incense so we can sit down and talk all this aggression out.

I do wish the world was a peaceful place, but a wish only goes so far. I act on that wish by choosing to not instigate violence. But I commit to responding with all tools available should it be forced onto me. It is hard for me to imagine why that would be wrong, but then I don’t live in the same world as those artists.

To those who say – no guns, no violence – I have only one word: Rwanda. A conflict so fueled by hatred that well over half the victims (so I understand) were killed and maimed after the ammunition ran out. Clubs and machetes work, too.

11. avatar Gov. William J. Le Petomane says:

It takes a simple mind to think that taking away firearms will automatically disarm a situation. They should spend some time in Nigeria where people are hacking people to death with machetes because they’re Christian. At least they’re not using firearms.

12. avatar ensitue says:

Crypto-Commie Agi-Prop is designed to give other Leftists something to point at as justification for otherwise immoral actions

13. avatar Chuck Pelto says:

TO: California
    RE: How to Make This Country ‘Safer and Saner’

Give California and its ‘citizens’ to Mexico? We’ll lose idiots and Mexico gains willing targets.

It’s a win-win for both nations. But a big time loser for California.

Regards,

Chuck(le)
    [There is no known cure for ‘dumb’…..except, maybe experience…..]

1. avatar William Burke says:

Can we throw Florida in for a buck?

1. avatar Mediocrates says:

I’ll see your California and Florida, and raise you Chicago.

2. avatar Matt in FL says:

Yeah, because what this country needs is fewer gun friendly states.

2. avatar Ropingdown says:

Think you’ve got it backwards, Chuck: We don’t need to give California to Mexico. They’ve already come and taken it. 49% of the population this year. 51% in 2015. They can hold all the art shows for peace they want in lovely coastal San Luis Obispo or Laguna Beach. When the Mexican population becomes a legalized voting majority Prop 13 will disappear. Most of cultural types and social workers will find they can no longer afford their water-near homes as RE taxes skyrocket to pay for schools and health clinics. Natural Justice. And legal Mexicans will have a slightly different attitude about gun rights and values. There’s a new conflict brewing in CA and it doesn’t involve white folks with houses at the beach. Such is the sad truth.

14. avatar Daniel Silverman says:

WHY WHY WHY!!!!
    All the nuts are in California!

1. avatar Evan says:

…and in jersey..

15. avatar Chuck Pelto says:

TO: Melinda Forbes
    RE: Heh

Any ‘discussion’ that is totally one-sided isn’t honest discussion, it’s mere echo-chamber propaganda.

Regards,

Chuck(le)
    [The Truth will out….you’re evil….]

16. avatar Nanashi says:

Well, I like the blue-green colors used for the continents.
    Now that I’ve said something nice, Florida and the entire gulf coastline looks funny, and Japan and several other countries seems to be missing entirely.

17. avatar Don says:

I’m going to keep and bear as many as I can afford.

18. avatar Bob Wall says:

Commented on the site: “More children are killed in family planning centers than with lead. Are you as “anti-abortion” as you are “anti-gun”? Just asking…”

My personal opinions about the “A” word notwithstanding, I’ve waited about two hours for my comment (of which I seem to be the only one commenting) to be moderated. Didn’t know I was so freakin’ deep that they had to staff it through Lib-Tard Central, CA Division.

19. avatar C says:

“Saner” because anyone who doesn’t agree with them is obviously defective. These people have probably never met a non-progressive.

20. avatar TheSav says:

Proud to be American.
    Embarrassed to a Californian.
    …sigh…
    My shooting buddy told me yesterday that he thinks guns are a fun manly novelty.
    He has a Kimber that he can’t disassemble to clean and a Big 5 870. I bet he hasn’t put more than 100 rounds through both combined.
    I need to leave. It’s getting lonely here.

21. avatar William Burke says:

How much more drastically-reduced violent crime can we continue to BEAR?

22. avatar thatoneguy says:

This is all the effort and talent one needs to put forth to be an artist? My three year old cranks out random blobs of colors that remotely resemble people. Maybe I should sell some of her finger paintings to these art jaggoffs and retire…

23. avatar Rokurota says:

Those are AWFUL. Aleksandr Rodchenko was a genius, even as he lent his considerable talents to promoting Bolshevism. None of these artists understand his mastery of composition and type treatment. (No, I won’t make sweeping generalizations about liberals refusing to glean from the wisdom of those who went before.) Well, all the better. Let this propaganda die an unattractive death.

24. avatar Rick says:

the thing is they look @ us and call us crazy. but I saw a lot of disturbing images on their site.but not one coathanger or babys feet in jars like the nutcase they just found guilty a month er so back! i’ll stick with being a law abiding citizen!!BTW forgive my typing skills,im a bricklayer not an English major. hah hah….Rick

25. avatar Aharon says:

Re-write:
    “How much more will they bare?”

It would be more accurate using stick figures and portraying an unskilled uneducated single-parent mother with her five kids.

26. avatar Andy says:

A lot of liberals are into what is vogue or popular at any given time,right now being against guns is in the limelight.Especially with their most liberal stars in Hollywood stepping out against guns,and their most beloved liberal the Prez himself.These are the people that think they know what is best for the rest of us,and that they need to force their views on us,with us following their desires,and not resisting in any way.These type are one of the major problems with how the world is today,I believe in fair discussion of problems and solutions,but this type does not it is their way or no way.Be prepared and ready.Keep your powder dry.

27. avatar Matt in FL says:

Hm, where have I seen this tune before?

http://upinarmsblog.com/ is marked private by its owner. You can:

* Request access to view the site. We’ll send your username to the site owner for their approval.
    * Log out and sign in as a different user. You’re currently logged in as…
    * Learn about privacy settings

Were they getting comments they didn’t like?

28. avatar Joe T says: