Alabama Open Carry Law Kicks In

Alabama’s new open carry gun law takes effect tomorrow (August 1 ). Yellow Hammer State gun owners with a concealed carry license can now carry openly in public places—unless they’re prohibited form doing so (indicated by an approved sign). Click here for wnt.com‘s FAQs. Bottom line: “It shall be a rebuttable presumption that the mere carrying of a visible pistol, holstered or secured, in a public place, in and of itself, is not a violation of this section.” The University of Alabama and other football-crazed, left-leaning seats of higher learning aren’t exactly happy about the public events provision, but that’s no surprise. Jefferson County Sheriff Mike Hale [above] tells al.com that he’s down with open. “I support the Second Amendment to the Constitution . . .” he assures the reporter. And no “but” statement follows. How ’bout that?

About Robert Farago

32 Responses to Alabama Open Carry Law Kicks In

1. avatarDirk Diggler says:

In 3 months, it will be a non-issue

2. avatarjoe08 says:

I love being in Alabama.

3. avataruser3369 says:

I want to make a quick edit:

Apparently the Car Carry Permit was dropped from the bill – Lame

I would not advocate open carrying on a college campus though, or entering the threshold of a building on one. While their “rules” may not apply to non-students/faculty, by outlawing them inside, you run afoul of state law…even though it is technically public property.

Or just carry concealed and tell no one.

• avatarStephen says:

“And the Schools in question would be higher education universities. You still cannot have a gun on elementary, middle, high school grounds, no matter what.”

I believe you are mistaken. The gun free school zone act carves out an exemption for state permit holders. The state law say you must have intent to do harm. If I have a permit I can carry my pistol and drop off my child at school.

4. avatarStephen says:

The open carry statues are clarified. We could always open carry, it was just a hassle.

You missed the big news. Alabama is now shall issue. If you are denied you must be issued a written reason. There is a appeals process now as well with the sheriff has the burden of proof on why you cannot be issued a permit.

• avataruser3369 says:

• avatarBlue says:

I am glad to see Al finally go shall issue. Most sheriffs were good about helping in the past. Plus, Alabama was one of the easiest states to get a permit in before the “shall issue” movement was kicked off in FL in 1987. My first license was in AL.

5. avataruser3369 says:

The Plot Thickens:

Chief Deputy Stevens would be incorrect about carrying on school property. The Federal Gun Free School Zone Act forbids carry of a gun within 1000 feet of school property, but makes exception for licensed carry. 18 USC 922 (q) states in part…

(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—

(i) on private property not part of school grounds;

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

Furthermore, it is Alabama law 13A-11-72 that states in part…

(c) Subject to the exceptions provided by Section 13A-11-74, no person shall knowingly
    with intent to do bodily harm carry or possess a deadly weapon on the premises of a
    public school.
    (d) Possession of a deadly weapon with the intent to do bodily harm on the premises of a
    public school in violation of subsection (c) of this section is a Class C felony.
    (e) Law enforcement officers are exempt from this section, and persons with pistol
    permits issued pursuant to Section 13A-11-75, are exempt from the provisions of
    subsection (c) of this section.

So either the Chief Deputy is misinformed, or he is intentionally misinforming the public. A third possibility was that he may have been misquoted.

• avatarneiowa says:

What is need in this nation is a state legislature that will pass a blanket license applying to ANYONE that is registered to vote. Direct LEO that registration is evidence of qualification for license.

6. avatarRalph says:

I’d rather concealed-carry my pistol and open-carry my beer. It’s hot in Alabama.

7. avatarstateievil says:

RF, Alabama has always been an “open carry” state without a license.

8. avatarJim says:

“No Gun” signage has no force of law outside of places described in SB286, Section 6

9. avatarSteve Case says:

Are we sure Sheriff Mike is a real person? He seems far too reasonable to be an elected official!!

/sarcasm off

• avatarCW says:

Thankfully I helped elect (and re-elect) the guy. He is always quick to get NFA paperwork turned around too. Between free the hops improving our beer culture and now I only have to renew my carry permit every 5 years… Bama is making a tough case for me to keep the family here. Roll tide.

• avatarBlue says:

There is a 67% chance that a sheriff will be pro-2a.

10. avatarDeft says:

“Now if you’ll excuse me I have a race to run against a hare.”
    Accents are hilarious.

11. avatarMark says:

Hopefully the cowardly scumbags that like to mass murder innocent people will think twice when they see a holstered citizen!