Sunday Funday: Playing with my New Can

There are few moments in life that are sweeter than firing the first rounds through your brand new silencer. It’s the moment you’ve been looking forward to for months, the day you get to update NFATracker.com and finally take the plugs out of your ears. And, of course, record the whole thing on video for bonus internet points. The only question left: what do I buy next?

comments

1. avatar Jay Dunn says:

Cool.
    And if you were Ron Jeremy you could even use it for concealed carry.

2. avatar jwm says:

The first time I shot a .40 was a Glock at a rental range in Utah. I rented the gun and a can and bought 2 boxes of ammo. As I had never fired a .40 before I shot the first box without the can to familiarise myself with the gun. For the second box I screwed the can on. And immediately saw that the can was so big it blocked the sights, making them useless. All my shooting was done at an indoor range at 7 yards. I don’t know how or why but I got better groupings with the can and no sights than I did using the sights.

1. avatar Ken says:

If you don’t have suppressor height sights, shoot with both eyes open. It’s similar in effect to a red dot sight. Front sight(dominant eye) superimposed on the target(non-dominant eye)

3. avatar Robert Farago says:

I want my hat back. Just sayin’.

4. avatar SouthFork says:

Did you go the trust route to NFA, or do Texas LEO sign off regularly?

1. avatar Nick Leghorn says:

Gun trust. Although apparently the new CLEO in San Antonio will sign off on paperwork now, so I might give that a try for my next transfer.

5. avatar Tommy Knocker says:

Wow. Amazing.

6. avatar soeedracer5050 says:

Isn’t that a young Tommy Lee Jones standing in for Nick in the above pic?? Just sayin’!! Stunt double??

7. avatar In Memphis says:

“The only question left: what do I buy next?”

Something full auto.

8. avatar Matt in FL says:

I like the sound of the alternated rounds in the last third of the video. Congratulations on your new toy.

9. avatar Ken says:

Next? 22 suppressor. At least that’s what I did. Even more fun and less(relatively) expensive per round, although it tends to even out since I shoot a ton more rimfire suppressed than I do centerfire.

10. avatar phoenixNFA says:

22 can fo sho. gimme a call nick. we can hook you up right. (AKA not anything AAC) :p

11. avatar Mediocrates says:

Evil black cylinder thingees scare me, and they should be outlawed.

12. avatar Gtfoxy says:

Q:”What should I buy next?”

A: One for me!

13. avatar Tod says:

That one particular spot in the dirt took one for the team. Nice shootin, Tex.

14. avatar TangledThorns says:

I called the ATF about my can’s status. They said it went into the system in March and the turn around time is nine months after the item goes into the system 🙁

1. avatar mike says:

They just started telling that to people only about a month ago. I went into the system in March also. Hopefully we’re still in a 6 month batch instead of the new 9 months. Ugh.

15. avatar ensitue says:

Guns, especially quite guns are sooooo much fun!
    When I lived in the “Old” Australia, the one where suppressors were an over the counter item and a threaded barrel was $7.50 extra, my feral bunny count reached triple digits on successive weekends. Saving the environment, one ‘Phuut’ at a time!
    And there was beer, lots of beer!

16. avatar thedonn007 says:

Sorry if I missed it, but what can is that?