Irresponsible Gun Owner of the Day: Outhervideo

The groundlings have been grumbling about lewd and lascivious editorial and commentary hereabouts. To those who worry that TTAG is portraying the shooting arts in a negative light I say nuts! Al Gore didn’t invent the Internet. Smut did. And if the internet failed to exist, the mainstream media would have its wicked way with their gun grabbing gestalt. To that end (and the survival of the species) there’s nothing wrong with showing a pretty girl shooting a derringer for public titillation. Save the fact that one really ought to run through a gun’s manual of arms before surrendering said firearm to a shooter unfamiliar with its operation and equip said shooter with proper eye protection. At the risk of seeming didactic, to not do so is highly irresponsible. Meanwhile, regarding the tattoos, as they say in SW1, filae nostrae sicvt angvli incisi similitvdine templi.

comments

1. avatar Scott D. says:

To be fair, she was wearing foam ear plugs.
    Yeah, that’s what I was looking at…
    That’s my story. I’m sticking to it.

1. avatar Mark N. says:

Beat me to it.

1. avatar Robert Farago says:

So to speak. Text amended.

2. avatar Mark N. says:

She looks a lot like my last secretary. Ah, fond memories….

3. More please. I won’t tire of these posts, I promise.

Guns and girlz, bitchez.

4. avatar Swarf says:

Ahh, the old go to nature and gave to girlfriend the shooting of gun trick.

1. I guarantee you those two had hot woods-sex after the shooting.

5. avatar Matt in FL says:

Comment deleted – please send comments about TTAG’s editorial stance or style to guntruth@me.com

1. avatar Accur81 says:

Matt,

I agree with you, to a point. Kirsten Weiss, for example, is a beautiful and articulate woman. There is no reason to denigrate her, and I do not think its appropriate that some people have.

The fact of the matter is that I’m downright OK with a little sexism. There have been times – horrible (awesome) times – where I’ve been objectified by women. There are plenty of women out there who wear sexy clothes because they want to be noticed. Were you watching the gun in the video or the cleavage?

We link quite a few objects, guns included, to sexual matters simply because many of us are thinking about “recreational procreation practice.” So if we don’t turn female viewers away, and don’t act like juveniles, I’m very much alright with that. You stay classy, TTAG.

2. avatar Jmes1000 says:

FLAME DELETED

3. avatar Matt in FL says:

I did send it to you, and got no response, unless you count this snarky post. I told you I’d comment it when I sent it to you, didn’t I? You could have asked me not to, and I’d probably have complied. Qui tacet consentire videtur.

4. avatar BlinkyPete says:

In regard to what you post said (if I understood it correctly, I only glanced at it), weren’t you guilty of commenting on the prettier components of a Glock wielding chick a while back? I may be mistaken.

Regardless, I feel that Accur’s comment mostly fits my sentiments on the matter. Commenting on the well sculpted physique of the lady above, tats and all (I think back tattoos are sexy on women, arms not so much) is fair game for discussion on a forum inhabited mostly by men. If there have been truly lewd comment I’ve missed I’d agree, but saying this chick looks pretty and fills out a tank top nicely is just talking shop, in my humble opinion.

If this response isn’t at all relevant to your original comment, just know that if I ever caught my daughter smoking crack I’d pull her right out of school.

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

My comments were not in specific regard to the video above, but more generally, and yes, I definitely commented on someone’s “cheekbones you could BASE jump off of.” My comments were not in response to low level stuff like that, or what you just said or the similar stuff in this post particularly. They were more directed the baser conversations that have happened recently, about t3sticle size and oral s3x and other things that did fall further into the lewd and lascivious realm. If you read either of the Kristen Weiss post comment sections before they got cleaned up, that’s the kind of thing I was talking about.

Back tattoos don’t do a lot for me, but I’ve seen some girls lately in real life in my area that have half or 3/4 sleeves on one arm that rocked my world.

I’m not a huge fan of the “need a new keyboard meme” because I think it’s overused, but I was drinking when I read your comment, and I very definitely choked on the last line.

1. avatar BlinkyPete says:

That was my all time favorite post ever. I’d love to figure out what the hell it was in reference to.

I agree. Explicit, sexual braggadocio has little place here.

2. avatar jwm says:

I don’t think it was his daughter pulling on the pipe. But I agree, that was better than .9mm and the shoulder thingy that goes up by a long ways.

6. avatar Jeff says:

Pretty girl. I guess… Maybe it’s just me getting older, but my interest drops like a lead weight when I see the tattoos and hear the typical voice of a “redneck gurl.”

1. avatar Skyler says:

I agree with the tattoo distaste, but your opinion of her accent is an opinion that I don’t share. Apparently you don’t live where this is normal talk and you associate it with things you don’t like. Your life is not as rich as it could be.

1. avatar Jeff says:

Sorry dude.. I live in rural WA state where a lot of self-professed redneck/country girls sound (and look) a lot like her. Most of the ones I’ve known have been trouble. You’re right on that – I automatically associate it with something I don’t like.

I read your name again and I apologize if you are not a dude.

1. WASHINGTON??? Please. You have no clue what a “redneck gurl” is.

2. avatar Jeff says:

I take it you haven’t been to every corner of this state

3. avatar Joke & Dagger says:

I live in the Deep South. You seriously are over your head.

2. avatar Matt in FL says:

She doesn’t have much of an accent, to my ear.

That said, I could listen to a girl with a south Georgia accent read the phone book.

1. avatar William says:

Joke & Dagger: “Rednecks” in WA? Where have you BEEN? OR and WA are redneck HOTBEDS! Three words for ya: TONYA HARDING.

1. avatar Joke & Dagger says:

That’s “White Trash”. Big difference.

7. avatar Skyler says:

If you like to wear eye protection when shooting, good for you. But I have never seen anyone get injured by anything in their eye when shooting. The USMC doesn’t require eye protection on the range. I think we’re becoming a nation of sissies.

1. avatar Skyler says:

Daniel Boone didn’t have eye protection.

Sergeant York didn’t have eye protection.

Annie Oakley didn’t have eye protection. She probably shot more ammo than any ten of us in our lives combined.

None of them had eye injuries.

1. avatar bernard says:

James Madison didn’t have air conditioning and he grew up to become president of the united states.

2. avatar Jeff O. says:

Ear protection: Always! I lost hearing to due an infection, I have to save what’s left.

Eye protection: It depends on where/what I’m shooting and what I’m shooting at. Where I’m required to by rules, always, without arguing.

On private land, most of the time.

In warm conditions I fog up lenses no matter what I do. I’ve tried anti-fog, I’ve tried many different fits of eye wear, and due to the shape of my face, everything still fogs up eventually. So usually I’ll do my “fast” shooting until I fog up, then switch to precision scoped shooting on paper or clays, without eye protection for awhile. I’m willing to accept the risk.

When others shoot I wear eye protection. 🙂

3. avatar Russ Bixby says:

And on several occasions, my grand pappy was exposed to smallpox. Vaccination or no, I’d rather not be.

I’ve had malaria – have it, actually. Care to have a go at that?

Better safe than screwed.

2. avatar Jeff says:

I have had powder burns to my face just from shooting .22lr pistols with cheap ammo. I wear my glass, sort of like I have to on the job.

3. avatar Accur81 says:

I’ve shot with an without eye pro. I’ve had AR gas blowback without eye protection, but it wasn’t too bad. However, my .460 Smith has considerable muzzle blast, and I’ve been hit with with debris from the barrel / cylinder gap and lord only knows what else. I definitely wear eye and ear protection with that beast.

YMMV

1. avatar Mr. Lighter says:

Some brass from my Dad’s mini-14 once hit me in the neck (he was shooting it from a bench, and I was sitting at the bench next to him, spotting). That sucker left a pretty nasty burn mark for a few weeks, and I’d rather not think about what it would have done to my eye if it had hit a few inches higher.

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

I took a couple direct brass hits (~20 minutes apart) to the left lens of my Oakleys at an outdoor rifle range a few months back. I don’t remember what he was shooting, but it was semi-auto and foreign and he was about 6 benches to my left. Also got a few hits on my left hand (on the rifle) and to the rifle/scope itself. After the second face hit, we rigged up a brass deflector near him, as he didn’t have anything appropriate to the task. We couldn’t move him to the far right end, as he was shooting 200 yards, and all the bays to his right were for the 100 yard berm.

2. I got a tick buried in my scrotal region at the range once. Does that count?

3. avatar Matt in FL says:

Only if you left it there, like a real man.

4. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

Eye Protection and sissification:

We can look back 100 years and see how few people wore safety glasses in machine shops. Heck, they’d often wear ties (!) in machine shops. If an OSHA inspector comes into a machine shop today and sees you without eye pro, he’s writing it up on the spot.

If he sees a machinist wearing a necktie, the OSHA inspector will likely launch through the roof. A mere write-up won’t suffice for him; no, there’s going to be a major-league butt-chewing of the employee and management.

In Ye Olde Days, machinists used to have a magnet on the back of a screwdriver and a mirror inside their toolbox. Look at the old-fashioned Gerstner toolboxes (which are still made here in the US, and are still a top-class outfit) and you’ll see the machinist boxes have a mirror inside the lid. WTF? Were machinists that vain they needed a mirror to check their appearance at work?

No, it was put there to assist machinists (with their remaining good eye) in removing chips from their eyes.

Sorry, but I’ll stick with eye pro. Pulling chips out of my eyes with a magnet is a waste of time, and doesn’t account for carbide tooling.

I’ve had two occasions when eye protection saved my bacon, one on the range, one off.

Revolver diagnosis, cylinder/barrel mis-timing. It shaved lead and spit it back at me. Stung my face pretty well, and hit my eye protection, dead-center. Might not have done much damage to my eye, but it sure would have hurt and probably needed a trip to the ER for checking it out.

Off-range: Taking apart a shotgun (I won’t say which, as it wasn’t the fault of the shotgun) and a coil spring escaped and launched straight into the center of my right eye – which was fortunately covered with safety glasses. It cracked the plastic. If I had not been wearing eye pro, I’m pretty certain (even without a “MD” or “DO” after my name) that I would have lost the sight in my right eye.

After that incident, I might fire a gun without eye pro, but I’ll never disassemble one without it, especially a gun where I’m not as familiar with it as the really common ones that I can take apart in my sleep. Some over/unders and side/sides have ferocious springs on the hammers, some rifles have ferocious springs on the striker or firing pin in the bolt. Some guns, like Beretta pistols, have lots of fiddly little springs and plungers set to launch in all directions.

1. avatar Russ Bixby says:

Only had my safety glasses get hit once that I noticed: a carbide tooth flew off the blade on a 10″ radial saw, bounced off the table and lodged in my right lense.

A razor-sharp 70gr carbide projectile traveling at, what, 140 FPS? That probably wouldn’t have stopped ’til it hit the back of my skull.

Eye protection, every time.

5. avatar Russ Bixby says:

The USMC range is less heterogenous than my local range, the weapons are pretty much guaranteed to be well maintained and the ammo is a well-known factor.

While I agree in general that wussification is a serious concern in these here Benighted States, I do not consider eye and ear protection to be an example of such.

I shoot 70-80 year old, very well made and maintained stuff, but I can’t vouch for the plonker a stall or two over and there’s always the freak marerials failure.

‘Course, you’re free to do things your way – as I am mine.

8. avatar Shawn says:

This video is old. Come on TTAG.

9. avatar Russ Bixby says:

While the Latin U looked like our V (explaining the name of W), I suspect you confused a few readers there…

10. avatar Russ Bixby says:

I dunno – she didn’t sweep anyone apparent, and had obviously had some coaching. She had acceptable trigger discipline, and if they did in fact know the surrounding area – and that it was clear – then I don’t see a huge problem here.

Odd that she didn’t understand that a gun stays c0cked ’til the trigger is pulled or it is dec0cked, but…

There’s the eyes and ears, of course, but I’m thinkin’ mainly o’ the Big Four.

Not the worst I’ve seen, by far.

11. avatar SGC says:

I see nothing wrong here at all…carry on!

12. avatar IdahoPete says:

Suggestion for a major improvement on the video: have her put a bullet through the back of the pickup truck ….