Ask Kirsten Weiss: Dealing with Scope Parallax Error

Kirsten Weiss trick shooter (courtesy The Truth About Guns)

Uncommonsense asks the next Annie Oakley (Kirsten Weiss above) about something technical to do with rifles and scopes and stuff.

I recently purchased a laser bore sighter. While experimenting, I was stunned at how much parallax error I could see in my rifle scopes when looking at a target just 15 yards away. What do you do to mitigate parallax error?

Ms. Weiss replies “Uncommon Sense, I don’t want to assume. Do you have a knob on your scope for Parallax adjustment? [ED: really?] If your scope doesn’t have one there’s an easy fix. In fact, a lot of times I use this method even when my scope DOES have parallax adjustment . . .”

Read Kirsten Weiss’ tip at TTAG’s Free Fire Zone forum

comments

1. avatar Chris. says:

Wouldn’t the easier answer be “Don’t use a scope for 15 yards.”?

1. avatar William Burke says:

That’s what I was thinking, but I didn’t post it, because I was thinking, “she’s HOT, y’know? She can oil my long rifle any day of the week!”

Okay. I may have gone too far.

1. avatar jwm says:

Yes. Yes you did. Now sit in the corner and think about what you did.

1. avatar Byte Stryke says:

…and much fapping was heard from the corner

2. avatar Chuck Pelto says:

TO: Byte Stryke, et al.
          RE: Ouch!

…and much fapping was heard from the corner — Byte Stryke

I’m reminded of that infamous ruggers after game drinking song….

The village idiot, he was there;
          In the corner he sat.
          Amusing himself by a—-ing himself;
          And catching it in his hat. — a verse from Four and Twenty Virgins Down from Inverness

Regards,

Chuck(le)
          [The Truth will out….and little Willie isn’t going to like it…..]

3. avatar Chuck Pelto says:

P.S. If you want to see all the verses…..

P.P.S. The title seems to be The Ball of Kerrymuir…..

2. avatar The Blue Angel says:

I see what you did there…

2. avatar Chuck Pelto says:

TO: Kristen Weiss
    RE: Parallax Error??!?!?

Hmmmm…..

….never encountered it.

I zeroed the scope on my AR-15 using standard military 25 meter range procedure.

Then I nailed a human head-sized target at 100 meters. Consecutively. I suspect I’d get the same result at least half the time at 200 meters.

What seems to be the problem? Or am I missing something?

By the way….for close-in targets, I used the AimPoint red-dot sight on the rifle.

For REALLY close ones, I use the system the Army taught during Nam called, ‘Quick Kill’. No aiming involved, just raise the rifle to the chin and shoot.

We were trained to hit a quarter in the air from three meters away.

Several decades later on a cruise, I was nailing clay pigeons with a skeet gun the same way.

Regards,

Chuck(le)
    [At any time, at any place, our snipers can drop you. Have a nice day!]

1. avatar Kirk says:

Have you tried the RedRing shotgun sight? Thoughts on it?

I like the ring vs. Eotech dot, but unhappy with mount.

1. avatar Chuck Pelto says:

TO: Kirk
        RE: RedRing Shotgun Sight

Haven’t had any experience with it.

If I had to use a shotgun in personal defense, I’d likely rely on the QuickKill techniques I learned as a young private.

Regards,

Chuck(le)
        P.S. If they’re close enough to use a shotgun, I’d rather have an AR-15 with 30-round mags.

2. avatar Matt in FL says:

Well of course you’ve never seen parallax error, Chuck. You’re superhuman.

1. avatar LongBeach says:

I was just about to add a comment to this effect. I do enjoy his comments though.

2. avatar Chuck Pelto says:

Jealously does not look good on you Matt….

3. avatar William Burke says:

“Then I nailed a human head-sized target at 100 meters.”

How interesting; I’m calling the cops.

1. avatar Steve Truffer says:

Why? If you don’t know the exact size of something, people tend to compare it with something established or otherwise easy to gauge. Head sized target- I’d guess ~7-8 inches. The man didn’t do anything illegal. Chill.

2. avatar Chuck Pelto says:

Be sure to advise them to have their ‘house in order’ when they come calling…..

If I can hit a human head sized target at 100 meters, I’m not going to be shooting at their body armor at closer ranges.

1. avatar Kirsten says:

how about at 1400 yards….

3. avatar Matt in FL says:

I really dislike these “click through to read” posts. At least half the time, I don’t bother, and you know how much time I spend here.

1. avatar William Burke says:

I think you’re free to not click on it. Tomorrow, who knows?

2. avatar oopsdidisaythatoutloud says:

I always assumed you logged in from a different place each time.

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

I think I see what you did there.

3. avatar CA.Ben says:

Agreed. I think i’ve only clicked through one of them. It takes me away from the whole train of articles I have lined up. If it was posted here in it’s entirety, I would definitely read it.

1. avatar CarlosT says:

Well, in these cases, I pretend like it’s 2006 and open the link in a new tab.

4. avatar TheSleeperHasAwakened says:

Nice tailgate 🙂

5. avatar PubliusII says:

I don’t know what she means by “parallax knob,” but it sounds to me like the scope’s elevation adjuster knob. If so, I (and probably most of us) are doing the same thing by another name.

My .22 has a scope set so that the laser boresight and scope cross hairs coincide at 25 yards. This means that at 25 yards, the bullet passes through the target on the rising leg of its trajectory.

It hits peak elevation above the line of (scope) sight at some unknown distance. At 50 yards it strikes an inch or two above the line of sight. Beyond this, it drops back through the line of sight and is 5 inches low at 100 yards.

For other target distances, you guesstimate, no?