NO CO Secession Update: Weld County Votes Against Gun Control

Colorado capitol building courtesy colorado-for-free.com

We’ve highlighted the fact that parts of Northern Colorado are considering the “screw you guys, I’m going home” approach over energy and livestock regulation coming down from Denver. Oh, and gun control, too. Further fanning those flames is Weld County’s recent unanimous vote to not pass any new gun control legislation. State law still trumps their local ordinances, but the gesture is one more that fans the flames in an increasingly divided state.

From the Denver ABC affiliate:

The ordinance says “the Board of County Commissioners shall not enact any ordinance which:

– “Limits the ammunition capacity of a firearm magazine;

– “Requires any background check of any owner or potential owner of a firearm;

– “Charges any fee related to the possession, ownership, use, or transfer of a firearm; Requires any specialized training or class related to the possession, ownership, use, or transfer of a firearm;

– “Limits the possession, ownership, use, or transfer of a firearm to specific classes of persons; or

– “Prohibits, limits, or restricts where an individual may lawfully carry a firearm within the unincorporated area of Weld County.”

In short, the state laws still stand, but no city in the county can make any further laws in this area. Like I said, a hollow piece of legislation in and of itself, but taken with the secessionist feelings in the state, it might be proof that Northern Colorado may become the 51st state sooner rather than later.

Want to start a different discussion or ask a question on another topic? Click here to go to TTAG’s Free Fire Zone.

comments

1. avatar NYC2AZ says:

“We’ve highlighted the fact that parts of Northern Colorado are considering the “screw you guys, I’m going home” approach…”

Colorado should have taken the Eric Cartman approach to hippies years ago.

1. avatar Daniel Silverman says:

Now lets take that county law and make it a state amendment! Now that folks is progress!

1. avatar Riley says:

Just a thought that I’ve sent to a number of your Colorado counties not happy with Denver.The process for seccession is a long and hard one.If it becomes the stone around your neck if your serious about leaving maybe consider joining Wyoming.Just a thought like minded people on 2nd amendment,farmers,ranchers,oil and gas and less gov.Like I say maybe an option.

2. avatar DonS says:

“screw you guys, I’m going home”

And Weld County will not respect Denver’s “authoritaaa”.

1. avatar JoshinGA says:

3. avatar Roll says:

Politicians take heed! This is the will of the people that you represent, if you are unable to support and defend the constitution that you swore to protect when you took your oath of office, be ready to look for another job!

1. avatar BenH says:

The problem here is that the state reps are representing their districts faithfully (Morse and whatsername notwithstanding). The control of the state rests firmly in Denver Metro. That area outweighs the entirety of the rest of the state.

4. avatar JohnO says:

Colorado used to be an OK place. Then it was overrun with Californians and other people with more money than sense fleeing various workers’ paradise states.

1. avatar DonS says:

There are exceptions.

I was raised in Ventura County, CA. I lived in Santa Clara County, CA for 16 years. In 2011, I moved to Douglas County, CO.

I didn’t bring mainstream CA politics with me – I was escaping them. When my new next-door neighbor told me that I had moved to the second-most conservative county in the state, I replied that I’d fit right in.

1. avatar Billy Wardlaw says:

Out of curiosity, where does Californian conservativism fall on the scale?

1. avatar Kirk says:

About 90 miles inland, that’s where. For now.

2. avatar DonS says:

If you’re asking how a “California conservative” compares to a “real conservative”, then the answer is likely based on geography. Someone who calls himself “conservative” in the SF Bay area isn’t necessarily the same thing as one who calls himself “conservative” in, say, Alturas (that’s a guess, based on a map and my 45 years of living in CA).

I think I would’ve been considered “pretty conservative” in the 1970s in eastern Ventura County; of course, that was the norm then and there. When I moved to Douglas County, CO in 2011, I found that I fit right in; I also would’ve meshed well with El Paso or Weld county politics.

2. avatar rip_vw32 says:

Well, then Welcome! Can always use more voters that will let the politicians know that they cannot vote for gun control and expect to remain in office!!!

5. avatar HeyJax says:

Here’s a shout out to my neighbors to the East. Larimer county could be part of it too if not for the d-bags in old town Fort Collins.

1. avatar Sean says:

Would be nice, at least our sheriff isn’t very keen on these new gun control laws.

6. avatar kawador says:

Have you read this?

“Medical advances mask epidemic of violence by cutting murder rate. Murder rates would be up to five times higher than they are but for medical developments over the past 40 years. Our lethality findings are strongly consistent with the hypothesis that progress in emergency medical care has converted an ever increasing proportion of homicides into non-lethal assaults and thus, by virtue of good intentions, ironically and unintentionally masked a continuing epidemic of violence in America”

Guns save lives? I doubt it.

“The researchers also highlight an irony in the life saving achievements of medical technology and doctors. Keeping down the murder rate may, perversely, have influenced the debate on gun control.”

And the best part is:

“Without this technology, we estimate there would be no less than 50 000 and as many as 115000 homicides annually instead of an actual 15 000”

Again: guns save lives? You kidding me?

1. avatar Billy Wardlaw says:

Except its not just the murder rate that has consistently fallen – its all incidences of violence in general.

Troll harder!

1. avatar Pulatso says:

2. avatar Foster Alley says:

+over 9000

1. avatar bmword says:

WHAT?? 9000!!!

2. avatar DonS says:

That’s one BFG.

Doctors kill more people in a month than guns kill in a year.

1. avatar Stu says:

Actually though. In the USA, Medical malpractice accounts for 10x as many deaths as firearms annually.

2. avatar Perpetrating Freedom says:

and what lobbies control dee cee, again? oh yeah its the NRA. give me a break, kawador. do some research and see how dangerous the medical industry is. why is it we never hear about that?

2. avatar GunNut says:

Gun laws are currently less strict than they were for the last couple of decades, but look even farther back– say, that forty years you mentioned– and even the gun laws we currently have look downright draconian.

It seems to me that what you’re saying is that in the era when a man could buy dynamite at a hardware store, when somebody could have any number of AR-15s shipped to his door, when a 14-year old child could buy a 1911 at a pawn shop, that the murder rate was actually much lower. How exactly does that prove that we need for more gun control, again?

The fail is strong with this one.

1. avatar GunNut says:

That should read “…need more gun control,” not “… need for more gun control.”

3. avatar Ing says:

Again: You’re only telling half the story.

Guns aren’t the sole province of criminals. Law-abiding people defend themselves with guns in this country every day…often with no shots fired. These defensive uses prevent violent crimes ranging from murder to rape to armed robbery. Guns save lives and protect the law-abiding from violence.

Again: The Second Amendment protects a natural, fundamental human right to act individually in defense of self, family, community, and country. That right remains regardless of the rate of violent crime.

4. avatar Sammy says:

Kawador, you sound like your grasping at straws.

Or are you kidding me?

5. avatar NYC2AZ says:

Got anything a little newer than 11 year old for a scholarly reference? Are you going to include (for the sake of transparency) that around the same time of your cited article, another article was also published blaming 44,000 to 98,000 preventable deaths on medical malpractice?

Or how about the more recent (2010) Office of the Inspector General report that found “found that one in seven Medicare patients are injured during hospital stays and that adverse events during the course of care contribute to the deaths of 180,000 patients every year.”

Yet, even after all this information, I’m not going to reject the fact that doctors save lives, just as I won’t reject the fact that guns save lives.

See: Gunssavelives.net/category/self-defense/, rationalityrebooted.com, reddit/r/dgu, easybakegunclub.com, thearmedcitizen youtube channel and many more.

1. avatar CyborgCowboy says:

Something tells me Kawador’s one of those trolls that just dive-bombs an ill-informed post in and then flies away, never to be seen again.

Let’s hope.

2. avatar NYC2AZ says:

Yeah, I get that too; but I like to throw out the information for everyone else in case they find themselves on some other forum and the same propaganda provocateur rears his head.

6. avatar DonS says:

Again: guns save lives? You kidding me?
      So, if they don’t save lives, there’s no reason for any law-abiding citizen to carry one, right?

Let us know how goes your campaign to disarm your local law enforcement agencies.

7. avatar Keith says:

And yet I still want one at my side, a gun that is.

What kind of person finds that gun violence is even more prevalent than he previously thought (whether it is or not), and then comes to the conclusion that he wants a gun even less?

7. avatar Kirk says:

Golly…bi-cultural America. Who would want so much chaos going on, and why?

8. avatar CyborgCowboy says:

Weld to Denver: “What-eva! What-eva! I DO WHAT I WANT!”

1. avatar Ben in UT says:

I laughed way too hard at this. Props.

9. avatar Mmmtacos says:

So if they become the 51st state can we Texans go ahead and secede entirely so the US can maintain a nice five-oh number?

1. avatar Sean says:

Not with all the potential tax revenue to be lost due to secession.

Cattle don’t get to leave the farm man.

1. avatar JoshinGA says:

“Cattle don’t get to leave the farm man.” If they do its in pieces…tasty, tasty pieces.

10. avatar ChuckN says:

I wish Maine would do this. At the very least we should send
    all the Massholes back to their own screwed up state.

No way we want them back here, man. We already have all the Massh0les we need and are happy to export the excess.

11. avatar Charlie says:

The hippies (and crazy California ex-pats) living in Boulder and Denver think they’ve got a good thing going. And I guess they have. But there’s a lesson they need to learn: It only goes so far.

Charlie

12. avatar Andy says:

Just a step closer to the “Red”states,secession from the US?Could be a lot of Patriotic citizens have been calling for it,and even petitioning for it.But of course up to now Boobama has turned it down.But one day soon,he won’t be asked for his OK,it will just happen,then the SHTF.Be prepared and ready.Keep your powder dry.

13. avatar uncommon_sense says:

The ordinance sounds like a simple explanation of “shall not be infringed”. Can someone send a copy of this to all justices at all of our federal courts?

14. avatar SHTF says:

When are you secessionists going to actually get around to that? I keep waiting.

Also waiting for you guys to use your guns to fight tyranny. I’ll keep waiting, I guess. It would be nice to see somebody stick up for the rights and freedoms we are due as Americans. You know, like the right to marry the person you love.