Magpul Begins Shipping 40-Round Magazines

Magpul 40 round magazines, c Magpul

In competition shooting, stage designers love putting out enough targets so that you need 32 rounds to complete the stage. It’s just over the normal capacity of most magazines, meaning that you’re required to perform a reload at some point. To combat those stage designs, people have been hot-rodding their mags, installing 10 or 20 round extensions on the bottom to give them enough ammo to skip the reload. Now, Magpul is making a factory magazine that will hold 40 rounds without the reliability issues of the hacked mags. Looks like Surefire is about to have some competition in the “massive magazine” product segment . . .

comments

1. avatar jwm says:

So 30 is standard and anything over is hi cap?

1. avatar JoshinGA says:

Well, it appears that 40 is now “standard capacity” 😉

2. avatar Mike in NC says:

My personal definition of “hi cap” doesn’t kick in until you also reach “crew served” scale.

1. avatar tater tot says:

The only “crew served” rifles that I know of with a magazine is the M249, and that’s still only a crew of one..

Although, I suppose the box feeding a MG134 could be considered a mag…

2. avatar louringe3 says:

You can never have enough bullets

1. avatar William says:

Or enough mags. Hot diggety!

1. avatar Leo338 says:

Alright!!

3. avatar Taylor Tx says:

I bought a few of the 42rnd ProMag AR magazines in Dec. when that was about the only place to buy them without markup and Ive been fairly pleased with all of them. Cant go wrong with a big PMAG for 20 bucks.

4. avatar SD3 says:

Just FYI, the Beretta website is selling 30-round M9/92FS/CX4 magazines for $30/unit.

Cheap as I’ve ever seen.

5. avatar MurrDog says:

Stage designers will now slowly up the round count to infinity and beyond to compensate.

1. avatar Stu says:

Someone needs to invent a phaser: then we won’t have to worry about lack of ammo.

…I’d help, but i’m only a chemical engineer. Perhaps make the battery

6. avatar Alphapod says:

OMG! It’s like a 30-round magazine but with 33% more evulz! Ban it! Ban it now! For the children! (TM)

7. avatar Sean says:

Hopefully a few will make it into CO before the ban.

1. avatar Ryan says:

If you live in Colorado, you can order them now via Magpuls website

1. avatar Sean says:

Thanks just did 😀

1. avatar DonS says:

Probably because I directly ordered a few “Boulder Airlift” mags a few weeks ago, but I got an email from Magpul at 14:35 MDT announcing the new 40-rounders, and inviting me – as a CO resident – to get 2 of them directly (and quickly, I hope).

2. avatar Hal J. says:

Me too! Also got a friend to register and order a couple. While he’s completely on our side regarding gun rights, he has no interest in them on a personal level. I’ll have to make sure he transfers them to me by June 30th to stay within the letter of the law…

2. avatar Jon says:

I ordered 5 of the limited run “Free Colorado ” mags and they shipped the next day direct from Magpul. Their site said 20 days, so they seem to be on top of it.

8. avatar DonS says:

Ordered 2 a little while ago, via the “Boulder Airlift”.

9. avatar Nate says:

Nice, I am mclovin it. maybe they could try and shorten the mag by going the surefire way and quad stack that bad boy.

10. avatar Mike in NC says:

I have a couple of old steel 40 round AR magazines from the Clinton ban era. Those things are heavy. I’ll have to give these new Magpul magazines a try. I should upgrade the steel ones with Magpul GI followers though.

11. avatar Author says:

Russians really love that sort of thing for some reason. The drum and banana clips for RPK are an old hat. They are now looking at 4-stackers (IIRC 60-rounders) as issue mags to troops.

12. avatar the last Marine out says:

I read somewhere that Magpul was also going to start making AK mags. anyone have any information on that ? is it true not ??? Thanks and if so where and when ??

1. avatar Kelly In GA says:

If you go to their webpage and click propaganda at the top, the presser is first up.

13. avatar Nickbnumbers says:

While I love what competition does for product in the marketplace (like spur the development of these mags), I get tired of what it does to the competitions themselves. It’s the whole letter-of-the-law vs spirit-of-the-law thing.

It’s like F-TR: .223 or .308 off a bipod screams military or tactical-style rifle. Have you seen the rifles used in FTR now? They are only just barely technically 308s. It’s like another form of benchrest now.

I should be happy, though, that some very high BC bullets are now available in 30 cal as a result.

/end rant
    /get off my lawn

1. avatar DonS says:

“It’s the whole letter-of-the-law vs spirit-of-the-law thing.

If you’re supposed to change magazines, then do it and enjoy it, don’t try to do an end run around it with hacked up equipment.”

… said the CA legislature when they found out about the Bullet Button.

1. avatar Nickbnumbers says:

Nice catch 🙂

14. avatar C says:

Am i the only one who finds this unsporting?

1. avatar neiowa says:

Which sport? Whining?

1. avatar C says:

“I dunwanna learn mag changes too!!1!”

2. avatar Hal J. says:

Yes. Yes you are.

3. avatar Hryan says:

For 3 gun, a little. For everything else, no. Might make it a little harder to maneuver though. I personally prefer the 20 rounders as they seem to be a bit more flexible in multiple shooting positions.

1. avatar C says:

of course i only mean in competition.

4. avatar Tim U says:

For 3-gun competition? Maybe. But that is easily changed by defining a rule that keeps rifles limited to their original standard (30 round) magazines.

For everything else? Not in the slightest.

I’m liking these. A lot. Way better value than the Surefire quad stacks.

15. avatar Dave S says:

yep now you carry all the ammo you can find in one mag! LOL

1. avatar Hryan says:

Are you still having trouble finding AR food in your neck of the woods?

1. avatar Tim U says:

Around here, the only stuff you can find is varmint hunting loads and some M193 for twice what it was pre-panic.

16. avatar Blehtastic says:

I dunno. Kinda starts looking like an AK mag…

Not sure if I like it. I think I’d rather have two thirty’s with a connector.

I worry about these things putting too much weight on the magazine release if you were to double them up. There’s probably no danger, but I have enough trouble keeping 30 rd magazines fed.

17. avatar James says:

I ran shooters as an RO last weekend in 3Gun. Part of the rifle stage was shooting from a simulated rooftop. Those with 4ord mags chose poorly.

18. avatar Accur81 says:

If it’s as reliable as their 30 rounders, I’m all in!

19. avatar Justice06RR says:

I’m very interested in these! Magpul makes good mags and its great to hear they now sell these 40rd Pmags. I’ll have to wait and see when I can buy these locally.

20. avatar Vera Denise says:

I’ve had no problems whatsoever with my Surefire 60 rounder on my M16A1

21. avatar Rambeast says:

I’m still wishing for Magpul to design an AR platform 7.62×39 mag line. Magpul can single handedly make the platform reliable.

22. avatar jimmyjames says:

40 rnd mags so we can burn up bbls faster…also you are going to need a taller bipod. As to use in competition, I’m not shooting any more matches where the stage designers use those stoopid blue tarps for walls. All stages everywhere now look the same. Boring snooze fest.

23. avatar Paul McCain says:

Can’t wait to get a few of these. Spent a lot of time searching and so far, nobody has any for sale.

When my Tavor finally arrives, this is going to make an awesome addition.

24. avatar Lothaen says:

Looks nice unless you want to shoot from prone.

25. avatar ChrisH says:

Awesome!

Now when is Magpul going to get around to formally moving out of CO like they said they would?