Madison County State’s Attorney: Concealed Carry OK Now In IL

Madison County State's Attorney Tom Gibbons courtesy stltoday.com

Despite a concealed carry bill sitting on Governor Sockpuppet’s Quinn’s desk, ticking off Illinois as the last state in the union to enact some form of concealed carry is still no sure thing. When you’re dealing with the nation’s most corrupt state, there are just too many potential legal and legislative curves in the road for anyone to confidently begin counting their proverbial chickens. Unless you live in Madison County, just across the river from St. Louis, that is. If you do, as far as Tom Gibbons, the Madison County State’s Attorney is concerned, the residents of the Land o’ Lincoln can tote now, as long as they meet certain criteria (possess a FOID, carry for self defense, keep it concealed, etc.). His reasoning? “The reality is that in December 2012, the statute was declared unconstitutional. So, we had a federal ruling – a higher court than our state court. That takes authority.” Click here read his letter laying out his opinion.

30 Responses to Madison County State’s Attorney: Concealed Carry OK Now In IL

1. avatarMike Crognale says:

Interesting. I wonder if Quinn will have him removed from office and arrested the way Scott did to the sheriff in FL?

• avatarPantera Vazquez says:

Here is what is really interesting in the FL case: Florida is a state that is pretty much pro 2A (shall issue). The governor in question is a republican. As a pro 2A FL resident I am very interested in how this is going to play out.

• avatarJSIII says:

Apples and Oranges. The Florida Sheriff in question may have had a personal motove for letting the unlocenced ccer go. As I understand it the guy that got arrested was a friend of the Sheriffs brother.

• avatarMike Crognale says:

according to some other reports, the sheriff was removed for destroying/falsifying official documents. That’s a felony in every state. He had the authority to refuse to forward the docs to the DA but he couldn’t just destroy them out of hand.

• avatarpk in AZ says:

State’s Attorneys in Illinois are ELECTED….

Not a damn thing Gov. Sockpuppet can do about it!

• avatarMike Crognale says:

Sheriffs in FL are elected too I’m pretty sure. That didn’t stop Scott. Anyone in FL can chime in here. Correct me if I’m wrong.

• avatarpk in AZ says:

Little bit of a difference here….

This state’s attorney isn’t going to prosecute….

Difference being in FL the “sheriff” made a stand….

2. avatarSkyler says:

I wonder if we’re supposed to know what a F.O.I.D. is. It’s bad to issue an opinion of the law and leave terms undefined.

I wonder where he got these restrictions from? Did he just make up all these ways to carry? What reasoning does he give for the requirement to tell police officers that you’re carrying if asked?

• avatarbluezdood says:

F.O.I.D = Firearm Owners Identification. As a citizen in the communist state of IL, I say kudos to Tom Gibbons.

• avatarPPGMD says:

The FOID requirement is only on state residents, if you own a gun in that state you better know what a FOID card is, because it is required for ownership.

Anyways as far as his restrictions, other than his requirement to notify LEOs, those are pretty much the standard rules required to simply own a gun.

Compared to the list of crap I put up to get a permit in the Gunshine state or Texas a list that short is kind of refreshing.

3. avatarGlenn Goewert says:

In the St. Louis Post Dispatch this morning the story on this stated that he will also honor out of state CCW licenses. I’m going to wait and see how this shakes out before I cross the river armed, but, if it works out this would be great. For anyone who doesn’t live in the area, Madison County is home to the finest strip clubs in the United States. They are all, of course, in neighborhoods where you are taking your life in your hands to visit. It just got safer to be a dirty old man!

• avatardirk diggler says:

Better have a good gun safe. I predict the locals will watch cars coming over the hwy 40 bridge

• avatarchainsawferret says:

I go to those neighborhoods daily, unarmed due to my job not letting me carry when on service calls as well as it is currently verboten in the Volks Republik Illinois. Some of those areas a P238 doesn’t feel like enough protection, something bigger, say 25mm would be preferable (though I’m not sure it would fit on the roof of a diesel VW)

as for the clubs, well it’s kind of like going to a restaurant when hungry, and paying to watch other people eat. :D

• avatarOldBenTurninginGrave says:

Well, yes. But I guess it would be better than phone sex.
        At least at a strip club you can see what you aren’t getting.

• avatarNunya Bidness says:

I believe the vast majority if not all of the strip clubs are in St. Clair County, IL.

• avatarbeanfield says:

Do you happen to have a link to the post-dispatch article? I can’t seem to find it.

4. avatarMike Crognale says:

The FOID is Firearms Owners Identification Card. Without one you can’t even buy ammo in IL.

• avatarbluezdood says:

If you live in a border state all you need is your drivers license to purchase ammo in IL. Just another example of the unconstitutionality of the FOID card.

5. avatar.9mm says:

So my NC permit is valid in Madison county Ill?

6. avatarRoll says:

I bet it gives the anticonstitution crowd heartburn, “Oh no, they’re exercising their rights”…

7. avatarIdahoPete says:

Cheers to Tom Gibbons, but I hope he is armed and wears a bulletproof vest. Mayor Rahmbo and Gov. Sockpuppet are [allegedly] going to use the Chicago Way to deal with him: have him bumped off.

8. avatarJim R says:

This guy is going to have a terrible accident in the near future.

9. avatarRalph says:

Well, it seems that somebody didn’t get his Bloomberg money this month. I guess most of the cash is going to John Morse in Colorado and gasoline for the bus tour.

10. avatarRoss says:

Good on him, I like DA’s that are only interested in the law and not themselves.

11. avatarEvan says:

Wait a minute, I thought New Jersey was the most corrupt state.