EDC For CCW: Spyderco Native FRN S30V

Image: Chris Dumm

Just like a S&W Model 640, the Spyderco Native may not be ideal for heavy or extended use, but it’s so small and light that you’ll have no excuse not to have it in your pocket when you suddenly need it. The $80 FRN version shown here ain’t no  no Para-Military but it is one of the lowest-priced knives with a blade of S30V super-steel you can buy. It’s got no liners and a non-adjustable rivet pivot;  heavy use can generate some blade wobble that you won’t be able to easily remedy with those tiny Torx wrenches you collect . . .

Jump to The Truth About Knives for the rest

comments

1. avatar Paul McCain says:

I wish you guys would stop posting this kind of stuff. I have so many knives I hardly know what to do with them all. But, I’m sure I need one more.

Really.

I do.

2. avatar racer88 says:

I’ve got a Native with a black DLC “combo” blade. Very lightweight. I haven’t carried it in a long time…. I’ve got 50, or so, other Spydercos competing for pocket time. For the last few months, I’ve been carrying my latest “favorite,” a Caly 3 with carbon fiber scales and Damascus blade. It is SWEET!

1. avatar racer88 says:

Correction… it’s a full serrated blade. I think this knife’s blade shape just looks “right” with serrations and the swedge ground into the spine. It’s the only serrated blade in my Spydie collection. Make it all black, and it’s perfect! 😀

3. avatar William says:

In the future, could we see ’em open, s’il vous plait? A bit more informative. Nothing against Spyderco, just never owned one, but they have a good rep.

But for $80 and a smallish knife, I’d rather have S35V. I know. I look for a lot in knives, that’s me.

1. Make the jump to TTAK for the sexy snaps.

2. avatar savaze says:

You can pick up this knife for roughly $65 on amazon and it’s not a small knife as far as folders are concerned, with over a 3″ blade and 7″ oal. Here’s a pic with open and closed profile. http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=20

Knife steel is also less important than the heat treatment and spyderco has great heat treatment for a mass produced knife.

4. avatar jerry says:

Have about a dozen(or more) Spyderco knives, the Police, Civilian, Matriarch 2 just to name a few. I may just have to check this one out.

5. avatar Mike says:

I have this very model I have carried as my EDC for the last 4 or 5 years and it shows it. Has always been dependable, is still tight. Only issue is holding an edge. Love this knife, purchased at Walmart years ago when they carried this model for a very short time. Cost me like $45 with tax I believe. I bought 2 of them. Still have the other new one in the box waiting for this one to fail! But I don’t see that happening anytime soon!

6. avatar jwm says:

I know that any company can make a lemon. I’ve only owned one spyderco, a native. I carried it in my pocket and used it very little. It started working loose and one of the screws got so loose I had it drop out in my pocket. I had blade wobble almost immediately and I couldn’t seem to get anything tight enough on that one knife to really trust it. Only knife that suffered worse from just pocket carry was a cheap Smith and Wesson I got at Big 5.

7. avatar Gregory Athanas says:

I’ve had this knife for over 8 years. Still looks new and I EDC it.

8. avatar Accur81 says:

Looks like a nice piece.

9. avatar Eric says:

The Truth About Why Google News Said No.