Quote of the Day: Hell Freezes Over Edition

Savage Rascals at NRA Convention (courtesy The Truth About Guns)

“You are not a bad person if you want to take your child hunting. You are a bad parent if you leave your gun accessible to a young child without supervision, or at least you are making a dangerous decision.” Dan Gross, President of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted in What’s Too Young for a Gun? The Industry Behind the 5-Year-Old Killer [via thedailybeast.com]

comments

1. Holy crap! An intelligent sound bite from the Brady People!

1. avatar Johnny says:

I had to check to make sure I wasn’t dreaming. I’m flabbergasted.

2. avatar Colt Magnum says:

First time I’ve ever agreed with the Brady Bunch.

1. avatar William Burke says:

Not sure they’re saying what you think they’re saying. I could be wrong. It’s more a matter of what they didn’t say.

3. avatar Loyd says:

Personal responsibility!? You don’t say…

4. avatar Jon says:

MSNBC disagrees. The liberal righteous venom they are spewing at Cricket is mind boggling. They went so far as to take Cricket’s banner logo and replace “Cricket” with “The Sickness” and that righteous asshat Lawrence ODonnell calling the owners of Cricket “willful murderers”. (Yes, I would call him a righteous asshat to his face.)

1. avatar Russ Bixby says:

Self-righteous asshat.

There; that’s fixed.

2. avatar Mamba says:

I’m sure that the remaining dozen or so zombies who still watch MSNBC got a thrill down their leg. Their ratings continue to plummet.

1. avatar Anonemoose says:

Now now. Zombies needs something to watch, too. It’s either that, or they start shuffling around and doing something damaging.

5. avatar scottlac says:

This was a horrible family tragedy and it appears to be caused by reckless irresponsibility on the part of the parents. I grieve with them for their loss and for that boy who will have to live with the terrible realization that he killed his baby sister.

That said, none of this is a federal government issue. There are plenty of other social systems, organizations, institutions and such that are not government related who provide care, training, social responsibility etc.

Not every tragedy requires a new federal law.

1. avatar Eric says:

+ 1000

6. avatar Brian says:

This is one reason why we as the firearms owning community need to push safety and security hard. Any individual tragedy will be exploited, regardless of how illogical the exploitation will be.

1. avatar Roadrunner says:

Roger that. Buy a good safe. It’s money in the bank and for the cost of a gun you can keep a dozen or more out of the hands of criminals and little kids.

1. avatar Brian says:

+1 million

7. avatar Don says:

Wow. A fleeting moment of sanity.

8. avatar Russ Bixby says:

Yeah, it’s that whole Four Rules thing.

I’ve seen six year olds who are thoroughly responsible, conscientious and sensible; they’d do fine with a firearm that was light enough for ’em.

Then again, plenty of adults shouldn’t be allowed to walk in public.

I like that at least the grabber organizations are talking only safety; it shows that they are in fact limited in the scope of their unreason.

Where’s a limit to wrong, there’s hope.

Every deer you shoot is a Chevy that won’t get wrecked by one. 😉

Every grabber you treat with respect and to whom you gently present info a bit at a time is a potential advocate.

It’s like the baby who won’t try a new food. Once you get that first spoonful into that little face, first there’s a smile and next they’re diving for the plate.

Three words: Outreach, outreach and outreach.

9. avatar Alex Peters says:

I was waiting for the “but” or “however” at the end of that statement.

10. avatar NS says:

read quote and was confused because I didn’t disagree

11. avatar dwb says:

Rule #1, all guns are loaded at all times. This is not a storage issue, its a safety issue. You’ll pardon me if I do not take comfort in the fact that this is not deemed a priority… it will be just not now.

How about the Brady campaign put up big billboards with gun safety rules?

12. avatar Lance says:

Have to say that wasn’t a bad spiel. A kid can have his .22 BUT they must be locked up and when they shoot closely supervised.

13. avatar Southern Cross says:

And don’t forget to have the firearm safed and cleared after you have finished shooting. It is always the “unloaded” gun (or the one assumed to be unloaded) that causes the accident.

I refuse to go to a range because the safety officers do NOT check that firearms are cleared before allowing them to be removed from the firing point.

14. avatar My Name Is Bob says: