Gun Tweet of the Day: Austin Police Chief Harshes My Mellow Edition

(courtesy twitchy.com)

As regular readers know, your humble scribe is relocating from Providence, RI to the heart of Texas. Well, not the heart. The stoned brain. Austin. True story: I’m fleeing Ocean State liberalism for Lone Star statism. Or, as I prefer to call it, libertarianism. But I would say that, wouldn’t I? Truth be told, there’s a gun grabbing gestalt underlying the Keep Austin Weird thing. As evidenced by the twitchy.com-captured communication from Austin’s top cop . . .

Chief Acevdo‘s Tweet above was responding to a Tweet from @dmbatten “accusing” Austin’s top cop of supporting Universal Background Checks (a.k.a., UBC or gun registration). True!. I guess the chief’s confrontation with reality brought out his inner child. Twice. Here’s the Chief’s second Tweet to @dmbatten:

(courtesy twitchy.com)

When Acevedo’s Tweeteriffic temper tantrum hit the net, the Chief hit delete. What was that the guys say? You can’t stop the signal. Twitchy’s stored Acevedo’s online aggression for all time (as have we).

After trying to black hole his outburst, Acevdeo almost apologized. He claimed his Tweet was a personal beef against a man who was always on his ass about something (paraphrasing). It was not a reflection of the former California Highway Patrolman’s lack of commitment to gun rights.

(courtesy twitter.com)

“I strongly support gun rights but.” How many times have we heard that from the enemies of the Second Amendment? Equally, how many police chiefs use a magazine cover for their Twitter profile pic? Let’s take a closer look at that image . . .

(courtesy twitter.com)

You’re not the boss of me! Not yet anyway. Also note: Acevedo’s so serious about his love for Austin that he wanted to bail for Dallas after three years on the job.

I’ll be keeping an eye on Acevedo come July. He’ll probably keep one on me, too. Yup, making friends wherever I go. [h/t DrVino]

comments

1. avatar benny says:

You just had to chose Austin didn’t you? I con only imagine how many times Nick tried to convince you to go to San Antonio….

That being said, Austin is Austin. In no way does Austin represent the majority of Texas and its many counties and cities. My mother used to live there for 4 years and, i quote, “Austin is where Texas throws everybody it doesnt agree with. And they seem to like it there so no one yells very much.”

1. avatar Jim says:

It’s kind of like Madison in Wisconsin. Those Madison folks were truly confused when Walker won that recall election. They truly believe that everyone outside their bubble thinks like they do. I assume it’s the same problem in Austin.

1. avatar Crazed Java says:

No, Austin knows it is not in line with the rest of the state. They just don’t care and think of themselves as a lifeboat of sanity in a sea of backwoods rednecks.

1. avatar Not Your Mother says:

RF: why did you pick Austin?

TX wants to secede from the union, and Austin wants to secede from TX.

2. avatar KCK says:

Beat me to it.
        Work in Madison, Live in Wisconsin
        Thats why I’m a CCW not a CHL

2. avatar sizzlin bacon says:

After living in the “paradise” of Rhode Island, it must have been difficult to truly move somewhere that is truly supportive of your lifestyle. I can’t imagine why you didn’t just move somewhere else. There are a lot better places than Austin in Texas…

2. avatar Greg says:

Yeah, I was totally pissed when he ANGRILY SHOUTED at a press conference how 2nd Amendment supporters LIED about how Universal Background Checks were a way to track gun sales to users, then, on his next breath, he said “Universal Background Checks will keep guns out of the hands of criminals”. Now that was a blatant lie and he knows it.
    He lost all my respect at that point. I would never trust the man again.

1. avatar benny says:

Learn from it my friend. I’d sooner trust my county sheriff than ANY police chief. 9 times out of 9, the top cop is in SOMEBODY’S pocket.

1. avatar JPD says:

Now that is the most accurate statement I have heard anyone make about the police chiefs. +1000

1. avatar Joke & Dagger says:

I trust the Sheriffs about as much as the Police Chiefs. The Sheriffs just talk a better game.

2. avatar neiowa says:

and if you 9 of 9 rule doesn’t apply its is because the mayor/council is in the pocket of the Chief of Police.

3. avatar Shire-man says:

It always sends a chill down my spine when a public figure either doesnt see anything wrong with making such a public and permanent statement or doesnt care that there may be anything wrong with making such a public and permanent statement.

1. avatar Not Your Mother says:

Privacy is a double-edged sword.

2. avatar Roscoe says:

He forgot his place: if he had made that statement in his former home state of LaLa Land, he would hardly have even been noticed.

Gunners and rurals hardly have any say in this progressive, statist paradise where politics are largely controlled by elitists and Dems out of the LA and SF regions.

4. avatar Gyufygy says:

At least he’s not blinding us with departmental bling.

1. avatar Bob says:

Art Acevedo is a total egomaniac with no ethics. Look up at the New Years arrest of Antonio Buehler where the cop who lied on his report and pressed false charges was not only not punished, Acevedo rewarded him.

There are no shortages of asshole Austin cops. They particularly like to prey on the poor, homeless, and minorities.

5. avatar Michael B. says:

Man, look at that mug. Talk about backpfeifengesicht.

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

OMG!
      I had to look that up. Can I get in line for that???? Please? I’ll pay in ammo or greenbacks.

6. avatar Pencotron says:

Robert – I’m sure Nick told you that you were moving to the Pinko core of Texas right? What, does he not like you?

7. avatar AecDuck says:

Not too surprising considering his slave state background.

I’m a proud Texan, but I’m very happy with my recent move outside this guy’s jurisdiction. He represents the bigger problem with Austin in general… California transplants.

1. avatar benny says:

^^^This.

There’s a reason my mom moved out.

1. avatar AecDuck says:

The great thing about Austin is that 10-15 minutes in just about any direction and you’re pretty deep in a red county… but even Austin itself is nothing like far-gone blue cities in slave states. I’ve lived in both. Austin is more blueish purple with red roots.

1. avatar Skyler says:

Agreed. The thing is that Acevedo isn’t getting to say this nonsense without being called on it. That wouldn’t happen in California.

2. avatar benny says:

Austin is as bad as it gets in Texas, and that’s still like paradise to someone who’s pro gun from california or chicago.

3. avatar Evan says:

The problem with big cities in Texas is that there are a good number of transplants from blue states, and big cities are filled with RINOs. They love small government…except when they don’t, which is a lot of the time. The mayor of Dallas is a huge RINO.

4. avatar Bob2 says:

Interesting as it may sound, compared to Portland Oregon, Austin is as deep red as a crimson sun. Later this year, I am moving to Arizona only because I couldn’t get a transfer to Texas. While on vacation a few years back, my wife and I completely fell for Texas. I especially like that there are more Texas flags than US flags on buildings around the state. It was great to be in a place where total strangers are actually nice to each other.

5. avatar TSgt B says:

Plus: WE GOT ‘EM SURROUNDED!

2. avatar jwm says:

Coming soon to a state near you. The cancer that is California. Actually, I’m hoping that the loony left folks from California swarm to places like Texas and Arizona. Then maybe we can restore a little sanity to California.

1. avatar Kris says:

No, they need to stay right where they are. Let Cali implode upon itself, since the citizens of that state elected the very people that have done to it what they have. You realize that letting “the loony left folks” into our state would be people like Feinstein…….

2. avatar JPD says:

Better solution is to develop an antidote or a vaccine for the disease/poison that occupies the space normally reserved for brain cells.

1. avatar TSgt B says:

Already have some of those pills. They weigh 168 grains and move about 2750 fps.

3. avatar Rob says:

Not all of us who leave California are bad, one of the big reasons I am bailing(probably for Texas) is that the gun laws here are absolutely insane.

1. avatar AecDuck says:

All of my California family except one cousin recently moved to Texas. If you’re coming here for the gun laws keep in mind that we are more middle-of-the-road on gun freedom. No open carry of handguns, and expensive CHL fee ($140) plus the cost of the required class ($60-120). Although you can open carry on your own property how you see fit and carry concealed in your vehicle even without a license.

1. avatar Rob says:

Compared to where I live now(LA) where we have no open carry at all(loaded or unloaded), and getting a Concealed carry permit takes either a minor miracle or something between a $10,000 and $50,000 “contribution” to the Sheriff, it’s a paradise.

8. avatar Capt. Howdy says:

Wow, he is definitely too cool for school LOL @ that picture. Just goes to show that no matter one’s station in life, so many in positions of power are often capable of narcissism, arrogance and general buffoonery. I agree with Michael B. above. Sehr gut!

9. avatar Gabriel says:

I spent a few days in Austin, TX on business, the number of and the aggressiveness of the bums in the streets took me aback. I’m surprised the city doesn’t issue the panhandlers a credit card swiper.

1. avatar Dr. Kenneth Noisewater says:

I think during the 2011 SXSW they had QR codes on the hobos for some promotion or other, wouldn’t surprise me if some charity handed out QR-code patches for them to wear which would let hipsters take their pic and paypal them some $$.

Me, I like the jobs, food, music, movies, etc. in Austin, and am pretty happy to drive 20mi away to get home at the end of the day.

10. avatar Scorpion Hunter says:

Unless you absolutely HAVE to be in Austin, check out the real estate in Hays county. That’s what I did when I moved to Texas from Chicago. Depending on your specific coordinates, you can get to the UT campus, for example, in about 35 minutes. I can get to the airport in 25. Acevedo can’t touch us out here. If you’re going to move to Texas, move to Texas, not a small city. Oh, and our scorpions are better.

1. avatar AecDuck says:

That’s what we did. When it came time to buy our house we moved to Hays. My morning commute (into Austin) is still less than 20 minutes.

2. avatar Dr. Kenneth Noisewater says:

I like Bastrop Co, no I-35 traffic and no sun in your eyes when commuting during normal hours. Taxes are fairly low as well, though I believe there’s 1 or 2 communities in Hays with <2% combined last time I looked.

1. avatar RKflorida says:

A smart man! Always live east of work. It’s not trivial.

3. avatar Swobard says:

Amen to Hays County! Loved living in Manchaca, and Buda’s become pretty nice place, too!

11. avatar Chas says:

“I support the Second Amendment, BUT….”

Ummmm, no, you don’t.

1. avatar Bob2 says:

Yep, it is like saying “I support the first amendment, but not for those people I don’t agree with.”

12. avatar DrVino says:

“former California Highway Patrolman” says it all.

May the Flying Spaghetti Monster keep and protect you, Robert…..

1. avatar Accur81 says:

Hey, they’re not all bad.

1. avatar JaxD says:

I’m pretty sure Ponch and John are fictional characters.

13. avatar tdiinva says:

Texas gun cultural is mostly myth. Yeah they are pretty good on the castle doctrine but they are no gun owners heaven. No open carry and that includes an accidental showing of your piece. Virginia is much better on gun rights than Texas. You should reconsider and move here and add your vote to keep Virginia safe.

1. avatar AecDuck says:

The “accidental showing” part of your statement should be effectively eliminated with SB 299. It clarifies the wording if the law from “intentionally fails to conceal the handgun” to… “intentionally displays the handgun in plain view of another person in a public place in a manner calculated to cause alarm and not pursuant to a justified use of force or threat of force…”

1. avatar tdiinva says:

I’m glad to hear that. Get back to me when you can open carry.

2. avatar Old Ben turning in grave says:

So is PA, actually. Open carry with no permit (though you need a permit to carry in a car), cheap and quick LTCF (ccw) in most counties with no classes or tests. We do have de-facto handgun registration (for newly purchased pieces), but otherwise pretty good on gun laws. Just stay the hell away from Philadelphia. It’s different there. Permit required even for open carry, and instead of shall issue Philly is effectively “may issue.” And if you do open carry in Philly, there is a very good chance you’ll end up face down on the dirty concrete with a cop’s knee on your back, even if you do hold a LTCF.

So, aside from Philly, if anyone wants to move to Tx purely for gun laws, might want to consider PA too.

1. avatar Herb says:

Uh…you left out that autoloaders are illegal for hunting in PA. Not illegal to own, just not to hunt with. Hunted in PA with my pump Remington.

1. avatar Old Ben turning in grave says:

Good point. I’m not a hunter, so I can’t say much about that. I have also heard that you cannot use a rifle to hunt deer most places in PA, slug only.

2. avatar WRice says:

I think that PA hunters alone keep Remington in the pump-action rifle business. The reason they require slugs in most places is because PA has created so many small state hunting grounds, dotted all over the state, that chances are good there is a residence or road within a few hundred yards of where you’re hunting. The upside is that wherever you are in PA, you’re probably close to a state forest or state game lands.

3. avatar tdiinva says:

I am thinking of switching to slugs for deer next season. Unless you are hunting in open terrain it is very likely that you first spot the deer within 100 yards. Slugs produce catastrophic damage which will ensure a quick, humane kill.

3. avatar BlinkyPete says:

NH is historically better too, and also has lower taxes, crime and higher median incomes as well as actual libertarianism, rather than Texas Libertarianism (which carries about as much weight as Illinois Libertarianism, depending on what you care about).

1. avatar TR says:

If you can stand the Mormon culture and weak beer (not all of us Mormons try to push the culture on others), Utah has open carry, relatively inexpensive CCW, great hunting, low(ish) taxes, and good median income and jobs market. Also the cost of living is pretty low.

4. avatar CarlosT says:

Washington State has awesome gun laws as well (which we’ll need to fight like hell to keep). State preemption, shall issue CCW since the 60s, open carry without a permit, and good self defense laws. And it’s not so gawd damn hot.

5. avatar CB says:

I’m sorry, but there is no myth to Texas gun culture. None.

14. avatar LTC F says:

Austin is San Francisco without the hills, fog and bay. It’s a nice place to visit, nice restaurants, museums, great live music scene, but I wouldn’t want to live there. That’s why I bought in unincorporated Williamson County. That would be the large very dark red county just to the north of deep blue Travis County.

1. avatar Kris says:

Sir, I’m from right outside Ft. Hood, but an alumnus of UT. I love Austin, I could easily live there again for awhile, but it is indeed nice that it’s surrounded by so much red (north, west, and east anyhow).

15. avatar Mike in TX says:

Ah, the Peoples’ Republic of Austin…. The home of liberal fruitcakes and hairy legged women…. 🙂

1. avatar TX Gun Gal says:

Believe TX Legislators fixin to eliminate ” accidental showing of your piece” being a crime. Campus carry left to each higher eduction administration to determine, so Texas Tech, Texas A & M, Texas Christian University and a lot of smaller collages will no longer be gun free zones. Open carry? May take a while. Castle doctrine as applied to vehicles happened a long time ago, has has been improved on since inception. If you are thinking of moving to Austin, try to live south of the river, still land of a lot of good ole boys

16. avatar BStacks says:

Travis County, Harris County, Dallas County, Bexar County.

Steer clear and commute. You will be OK.

1. avatar Evan says:

Yeah, what is it with liberals infesting all of the big cities. Texas is a very red state except for the big cities.

17. avatar uncommon_sense says:

Anyone notice that is coffee mug says, “The Boss,” … and he is pointing to the word “Boss” with his little finger?

Talk about someone with a dictator complex.

What I don’t understand is how almost everyone thinks the United States is somehow immune to tyranny.

18. avatar littlegunguy says:

Hey I guess that proves we need more Mexicans. Texas better deal with that problem PR we won’t have anywhere left to run to.WT…F

Chief Avocado looks very authoritative in black. Just like the SS.

1. avatar TR says:

I see what you did there…

20. avatar BlinkyPete says:

Texas is Libertarian? Neato! You should tell all the gays, peaceful marijuana users and, you know, unwhites. They’ve all been under the impression that Texas isn’t very Libertarian at all.

21. avatar Accur81 says:

He used to be our problem – now he’s Austin’s problem, and I wouldn’t trust him either. That’s why you’ve got to fight crappy gun laws wherever you live. Another Example – don’t let McCain screw up Arizona – I’d like to live there after I retire.

McCain is turning into the grumpy old man with Alzheimer’s who used to yell at the kids next door for playing ball too close to his house.

22. avatar Dallas Warrior says:

Dear Austin,

Our semi-weekly meetings are getting old. Your tie-dye shirts and obnoxious theater goers are too much for me to take. You try to dress up when we go out and your 85mph toll road is nice….but something is missing between us. I can’t help but feel that you think you are smarter than everyone else, and you sure as hell don’t like it when your views are challenged by facts and logic. I suppose the only one to blame for this failed relationship is me….I thought I could change you. How silly of me to think that you could change.

You are pretty, and I’m sure you will find a nice guy or gal from California or New York to make you happy. For both our sakes…..I think we should break up.

It’s not me…it’s you.

Your X BFF,

Texas

23. avatar Roadrunner says:

Art, better do something about that nasty little snarl. Not very becoming for a charming, celebrity politician. Or for a police chief.

24. avatar Glen says:

Art Acevedo is a dead ringer for Paul Rubens.

25. avatar CB says:

Welcome to Austin. You will love it here. Texas is awesome. Keep in mind that when people talk about “liberal Austin,” they are talking liberal in Texas terms, which is basically right-center. Believe me, I’ve lived in San Francisco, Austin is not as liberal as the rest of Texas thinks it is. Coming from RI, you will NEVER compare it to the liberals you are leaving behind.

You will also enjoy getting your must-issue concealed carry license and walking into a store and buying a gun with cash and no waiting period. FREEDOM!!

26. avatar Jona Bernabo says:

Alzheimer’s disease is a progressive disease that destroys memory and other important mental functions. It’s the most common cause of dementia — a group of brain disorders that results in the loss of intellectual and social skills. These changes are severe enough to interfere with day-to-day life. ,^”^