Deadly Homemade Gun: Who Needs a 3D printer?

“In this video I show a gun that I built out of simple parts bought from the hardware store, no background check required,” awesomeairguns.com writes underneath his latest bid for YouTube glory. “With all of the talk lately about 3D printed guns, I just thought I’d point out that it has been possible for a while to build a gun at home.” Only since the 10th century. And this isn’t exactly the most concealable of weapons. Still, point taken.

comments

1. avatar Rokurota says:

The FBI recommends a minimum penetration of six Spam cans, so I’ll pass.

2. avatar Matt in FL says:

The horn sound from the 1″ barrel was comical.

3. avatar conceal7 says:

i remember youtube providing a video where a couple pieces of pipe, a 12 gauge slug, & a make shift firing pin were all it took to macgyver yourself sum 2nd amendment tools.

3D printing is just a classy’ER way of going about it

1. avatar Jeremy S. says:

Yeah. This one’s awesome. You could make it in an hour.

youtu.be/Rh0SXBtT_lA

4. avatar sagebrushracer says:

Lewis and Clark had a deadly powerful, repeating airgun. It was their biggest crowd pleaser when demonstrating to the Indian tribes they met.

1. avatar Pyrotek85 says:

I read about that and the replica some company had made. I’d buy one in a heartbeat if they ever marketed them, it seemed rather powerful.

1. avatar Jesus says:

IIRC it was as powerful as a modern day .45 ACP

5. avatar Paul53 says:

First thought, BAN AIR! Or at least register all who use it. AIR KILLS!
    Second thought, finally a good use for Spam. Spare the ballistic jello!

1. avatar RockThisTown says:

Ban air! Great idea! Isn’t that a part of Obamacare? We can try banning hardware stores, too.

6. avatar Nick says:

I’m so tired of hearing about these crappy 3d printer guns. Unless someone prints a cannon and shoots it that is.

1. avatar Pascal says:

Search YouTube for “potato gun” People have blown them through cars

7. avatar Don says:

Sweet. I used to make stuff like this. If you let a piece of dry ice melt in your sealed pressure chamber you can achieve immense pressures. It will actually generate a pressure of about 870 psi all by itself as it liquefies in there, then explosively transition to a gas complete with shock wave.

-D

1. avatar Leo338 says:

I used to do this with dry ice regularly when I was young. I added water to the dry ice so it would evaporate faster. I never tried anything bigger than a 2 liter plastic bottle.

1. avatar Don says:

I made the mother of all potato guns with this. Steel pipe wrapped with fiberglass for the pressure container. Probably very overbuilt, but better safe than sorry!

-D

8. avatar Tom says:

He paid pennies for the ammo!

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

oh
      keyboard cleanup on aisle 9!

9. avatar Russ Bixby says:

Brings back memories of the Christmas Massacre of ’75…

10. avatar William says:

Hey hey hey! Originally, I was going to comment, “needs editing; too long”. I WAS WRONG. That was fun, though I was a bit nervous about that pointed steel projectile through the SPAM cans; with too much pressure, the projectile could ricochet off the cinderblock and…

Gun control is not only impossible, IT’S LAUGHABLE.

1. avatar Henry Bowman says:

All prohibition laws are impossible. Unfortunately, the prison sentences that accompany them greatly reduce the laughability factor.

Prohibition goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man’s appetite by legislation and makes crimes out of things that are not crimes. A prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
      –ABRAHAM LINCOLN

11. avatar jwm says:

Damn, an air resevoir shotgun. That looked like fun. BB’s, Steel nuts, steel bearings, the ammo supply is limitless.

I wonder if you could add a manual safety to it with a simple valve that would block the release of air until you twisted the lever to ready it?

1. avatar Russ Bixby says:

A large ballcock would work… 😉

2. avatar Russ Bixby says:

A large ballc0ck would work… 😉

Can’t believe I have to misspell that to get by the autopuritan.

12. avatar nervyashell says:

yeah, I wondered how many tater gun fans we had among us. good memories. like William said though – the spam cans and cinderblock at point blank range? made me very nervous as well. Javier Bardem’s air tank/ captive bolt contraption in no country for old men came to mind…yep, gun control my ass. we have something called innovation.

13. avatar uncommon_sense says:

Being a compressed air gun, does that mean we can build a suppressor for it without incurring the wrath of the feds for failure to purchase a tax stamp?

Also, those steel projectiles looked way more heavy than necessary. I wonder what muzzle velocity is possible with a projectile that weighs in the 3/4 ounce (328 grain) range? I also wonder at what point the projectiles would begin to melt/damage the PVC pipe barrels?

I am thinking that a hybrid design would be the way to go with all PVC components and a galvanized steel barrel.