TrackingPoint Shows Off Shooting Moving Targets From a Helicopter

Okay, now they’re just showing off. Not only are they shooting moving targets, they’re doing it from a moving platform (a helicopter). Definitely seeing a military application here, but I still can’t justify the $Volkswagen price tag, personally. Then again, they just started shipping the first sold-out run of guns, so apparently there are indeed some people with the coin and the inclination to do so.

comments

1. avatar g says:

Whoa… helluva an advertisement, that’s for sure.

2. avatar William says:

Them porkers’ only chance is in sheer numbers.

3. avatar Reid Baker says:

One of those targets looks like a drone

1. avatar Nick Leghorn says:

One of those targets WAS a drone.

1. avatar Human Being says:

Suddenly the price tag sounds justifiable.

2. avatar Bill says:

my day just got a little better! now if only they released a compatible fiddy cal….

4. avatar Elephant Rider says:

If affordable, this would be the death of fair chase.

5. avatar Sixpack70 says:

Next advancement, laser guided micro missiles?

6. avatar Chance says:

Those were some epic shots to be sure, but until they put it in a verifiable novice’s hands, I won’t be impressed. A very skilled marksman could do all of those things.

7. avatar Wolf says:

I have a feeling the shooter could have made all those shots without the fancy tech. On the other hand, I’d like to see half that stuff trickle down to scopes on my budget.

8. avatar Sean says:

Yes but can it make me a margarita?

9. avatar Excedrine says:

HAX.

lol

It’s a neat gadget, but for that price point (and even if it was cheaper), I’d still prefer to do it the old-fashioned way.

10. avatar rab says:

Please explain how this works to me.

I believe that you first laser the target using the trigger to mark your shot placement. Then the gun will only fire once you are aligned with your placed shot? Is that right?

If that is correct, why not shoot your target instead of laser it?

1. avatar CA.Ben says:

Lasers travel at the speed of light, and have no drop.

Bullets travel at ~1000 m/s, and are affected by gravity.

11. avatar Gyufygy says:

AIMBOT!!!1!1!1!11!!!one!!1!1 BAN HIM FROM THE SERVER

12. avatar RandallOfLegend says:

aimbot, get some skill noob

13. avatar Out_Fang_Thief says:

Damn! I hope this has export restrictions. The thought of this in the hands
    of some of our hostile Muslim malcontents would be a tad unsettling.
    From what I see, this is like an instant, infidel sniper kit, just add martyr.
    Or am I overshooting the reality?

1. avatar PK says:

The mere fact that the technology exists means it can and will be copied. Restrictions are already on place for things such as this (ITAR) but it won’t change the fact the idea has been spread.

14. avatar Skyler says:

This will radically change warfare, I believe. Not only will boars have nowhere to run, but neither will soldiers. This will bring in the latest wave of emphasis on a defensive style of warfare. Maginot, here we come.

15. avatar Dub says:

I saw a prototype being tested at a local range a year and a half ago (I think was the 6th iteration) and a friend of mine struck up a conversation with the 2 gentleman running it through its paces. They even let him fire a round. Acquire target, push button, pull trigger. That is all there was to it.

16. avatar DrewN says:

(sigh) And another skill I’ve cultivated since childhood is rendered obsolete. I’ll just file marksmanship right alongside carb tuning and driving a stick.

1. avatar CA.Ben says:

Marksmanship isn’t obsolete, it just has a price tag now. $15k.

17. avatar Joe says:

You didn’t tell me the “moving targets” were animals. “WOW! I just killed something for no reason with my videogame gun!” What is wrong with people. If your not going to eat the damn thing then leave it alone. Or, if you have to kill hogs or coyotes because they are destroying your land and livestock then do it in an honorable way. Don’t flush them out with a stupid helicopter and shoot them with your cheater gun while filming it for an advertisement.

1. avatar Lauderdale Vet (@lauderdalevet) says:

I bet they were all tasty, regardless.

2. avatar Zach says:

I said it in the youtube comments and I’ll say it here to you. ( though slightly nicer )

Do you “honorably” kill roaches? Do you believe in “honorably” removing zebra mussels that are choking Texas lakes? No. We remove them with extreme prejudice in whatever way is available.

If I had a GE134 and enough ammo, I’d use it to wipe out the entire group of them and go for a second pass to make sure.

18. avatar Sammy says:

Everyman’s a sniper now. F training, skill in a scope.

19. avatar Nickbnumbers says:

As someone who is terrible with a rifle, I know the crosshairs dance all over the target when I try to shoot offhand. I wish it was as easy as just pulling the trigger when the crosshairs wiggle past the bullseye…which makes me think that in a really tough shooting situation (like longer range offhand or shooting running boar from a helicopter) that the target marking dot will also be dancing all over the place.

How many tries does it take to push the Big Red Button at the right instant before you lock on to the boar and not a clump of grass where the boar was a second ago?

This is cool tech, but I remain skeptical of its use in the hands of a noob. The only time “locking on” will be easy is when a real shot would have been easy anyway. At longer range, unless you’ve got good information to input about the wind 700 yards downrange (not at your face with an anemometer), you’ll miss wide left or right, even with your perfect computer elevation.

I’ll be happy to be proven wrong, though (especially when the cost comes down to $2000!) 🙂

20. avatar Russ Bixby says:

While I can fly one, I do not currently own a rotary wing aircraft and an oil conglomerate, so I’ll pass.

Y’all have fun now, hear?

21. avatar M.ia says:

That was the most enjoyable thing I’ve seen all day.

22. avatar Jeremy says:

Not really a sniper as the laser doing the ranging will give your position away.

“Tracers work both ways.” – Murphy.

Someone will develop a detection system that will sit on another drone to detect the laser emission and then quickly track point a round back to the trackpointer.