New from Daniel Defense: Precision Ammunition

P1260732

Daniel Defense has announced that they are entering the ammunition manufacturing racket, competing with Hornady, Remington, Winchester and others for the top spot in quality gun food. They had hoped to start combating the unavailability of 300 AAC Blackout sometime near the middle of the year, but with the current state of ammunition components and manufacturing tools (un)availability, it looks like their plans may be put on hold for a tad longer . . .

P1260745

P1260740

comments

1. avatar Kirk says:

Comparable pricing?

Just what we’ve been hoping for — a new brand of ammo made of unobtainium.

1. avatar Mike in NC says:

They should do well as they have experience. They have been using unobtanium for their lower receivers for more than two years now.

2. avatar Rightontheleftcoast says:

PS: I’d be willing to invest in a 6.8 hunting rifle if DD promised not to sell all their inventory to DHS in future. Thats a big leg up on Lake City and Remington… good luck to these Georgia boys- looks like they are spending real money on their plant down there, and if they can deliver on the promises on the ammo, I’m willing to buy the gun.

PS: dont forget the .22 upper when you get time…

3. avatar John Bergmann says:

Need some Blackout!!!! Blaaargg!!!

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Easy enough to make. Heck, I was able to make 500 rounds in a weekend.

4. avatar JAS says:

It looks like the assembled ammo is missing the primers. Primers are the most dangerous and difficult component to manufacture. Could it be that it is primer shortages that are behind this whole ammo shortage business?

1. avatar DJ says:

More likely they wanted to ensure it was inert. “For Display Only”

1. avatar great unknown says:

Most probably. Without the primer, there’s no powder either.

But it’s certainly pretty.

5. avatar Aharon says:

What about their plans for producing 22LR?

6. avatar Russ Bixby says:

Pretty stuff. When they start in on 7.62x54R, I’ll give it a try.

Hornady is what I use in the field; it’s frighteningly accurate. I’d welcome another supplier into the fold.

1. avatar Mike in NC says:

Safe bet that they will start with the calibers to feed the rifles they build: 5.56, 300 Blk and 6.8.

1. avatar Russ Bixby says:

I figured, but one may hope.

I’m shooting some 1970 Bulgarian 7.62X54R right now. I think the case is made of frozen muzhik @ss, primed with match heads and charged with pyro, but it works 100% of the time and it cost me spit. Oh, and it hits like a runaway freight train.

2. avatar Rightontheleftcoast says:

I’d buy the 6.8 for their new Ambush Hunting AR, if I could get it in CA. Sort of the lighter weight, faster version of the Scout Rifle concept by Jeff Cooper.

Want to see a review here, Nick, and Tyler, when you can get one- maybe take that LEO bashing, reformed liberal you have on staff for a hog-hunt when he gets settled in?

Thats the gun I’d spend real $ on to replace my Win70-270 out west, if its as good as they say it is- and they are on Ver 2.0…

Good point in the GunsandAmmo review about the 6.8 by Hornady in the shorter AR being equivalent to .270 out of a longer barrel…and field testing might be the answer.

7. avatar RKflorida says:

Oh great, more designer ammo. How very clever. How about just plain old Good ammo?

8. avatar jeff the Griz says:

I’ll believe it when I see it at a local gun store.

9. avatar Fletch says:

I’d be a lot more excited to see some cheap American made steel cased ammo hit the market. Competition to Wolf and Tula, but made in the USA.

10. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

“Precision ammunition….”

for use in a non-precision gun, ie a semi-auto?

Yea, that makes sense.

1. avatar Rightontheleftcoast says:

Heh. Good point. Thanks for the reality check. When I can get an AR with reliable 1 to sub-MOA at 200 yds, I’ll buy the ammo to feed it.