Infographic: Gun Uses in the United States

Everyone loves a good infographic. You know, those giant images that contain a large amount of information presented it in an easy-to-understand manner? One of our readers sent along the following graphic [click here for the original in glorious high definition] that puts in perspective the number and type of gun uses in the United States every year as opposed to how they may be perceived. Make the jump for the image . . .

how_are_guns_used_by_citizensvia-infothread-dot-org

comments

1. avatar bontai Joe says:

Is there someplace I can order a really large one of these? And I’d be willing to contribute towards putting this on a couple of roadside billboards.

1. I can do it in my print shop if the original owner of this image gives me consent. I’ve got 65″ wide printers.

1. avatar JWhite says:

65in printer? HP 5000 or better? Whatcha got whatcha got?

1. HP 5000?! I’m not into toys! I’ve got an Epson Surecolor S70670 and a Cannon iPF9400 for my oversized boys. 🙂 I reproduce fine art lol

2. avatar JMS says:

This is the largest version I could find. You can download it here: https://www.box.com/s/5ng80sd8fo50p2k8x17n

1. avatar gunz says:

Find the vector file, which is likely how it was created, and size won’t be an issue.

3. avatar ProfBathrobe says:

Give a site to order it from and you’ve got a sale.

2. avatar crosswiredmind says:

It seems that the link to the source is not working. Is there a way to see the full resolution file?

1. avatar CA.Ben says:

“The link you’re trying to access can’t be used to share files”

1. avatar Tionico says:

worked fine for me.. downloaded no problem.

3. avatar Ed Rogers says:

I would forward this on FB, if I could read the sources…

1. avatar Hal says:

I too would like a higher quality, printable PDF version of this. I don’t mind printing it on multiple pages and then trimming it with scissors to post it up in my office.

1. avatar Mina says:

The source is no good, I checked it and it seems to be down. the image as shown is tiny when posted to FB. I just did it and it sucks.

1. avatar Tionico says:

its a JPEG. Open it in something like Photoshop, resample it. It should print fairly large.. its 1.5 Mb

4. avatar William Burke says:

This isn’t great, Leghorn… this is SUPER GREAT. Wonderful also.

5. avatar full.tang.halo says:

Hey Nick, the pic of the FNS is click linking to an archived ar15.com post. FYI

6. avatar Ed Rogers says:

By clicking on the “Full Resolution” size (and magnifying), you’ll be able to at least read the sources.

7. avatar Excedrine says:

I want to print several of these out in a big plotter printer, weather-proof them, and hang them up EVERYWHERE.

8. avatar G says:

I’m not saying this to disagree with the chart, but isn’t there some discrepancy in what the U.S and U.K each consider a violent crime? Does anyone know anything about that?

1. There indeed some differences in the way the UK and US keep crime stats. The UK counts every reported bar fight or scuffle as a “violent crime” regardless of whether charges are drawn or if anyone is convicted. The US does not count such cases of “affray” as violent crime unless someone actually is actually charged with assault.

If you remove these incidents from UK crime stats, the ratio is different, but incidents of violent crime (per capita) are still well over twice that of the US.

If you include incidents of “bar fights” or “simple assault” in the US … we have far fewer of these in the US than the UK – per capita, of course. By that measure, the UK is even MORE violent than the infographic suggests.

The UK is simply a much more violent society, and violent crime is trending upwards. The US is less violent, and violent crime is either stable or trending downwards.

1. avatar Mike says:

Crime in the UK is falling, as it is in most of the western world.

1. avatar Jake says:

Crime in the UK is purposely under-reported, in a similar fashion to NYC

2. avatar Totenglocke says:

Yeah, Jake. If you want to take up an almost impossible challenge, try finding solid crime data for the UK – they intentionally make it very difficult to find so that people can’t use it against the British government’s policies.

2. avatar Jim B says:

Anyone that has spent time in the UK knows that their crime rate is higher. I remember my girlfriend went there for the first time for three weeks and saw three street fights. I asked her how many she had seen living her whole life in Seattle. Answer, none. Hey, she was in the tourist areas not the hard core areas of London! I always tell British subjects that it is probably a good thing they do not have guns because they are so violent. That doesn’t endear me to them.

Another thing that cannot be compared is the murder rate. The antis are always quick to point out how low the murder rate is in the UK compared to the US. Well there is a huge problem with that. The rates are not comparable. In the UK the Home Office only counts as murders those cases where someone has been convicted of murder! Yeah, that’s right. If the case is unsolved it doesn’t count as a murder! It’s apples and catfish. The numbers are not comparable. We really don’t know what the UK murder rate is using our method of counting however, you can bet it is highter than say a state like Wyoming with the highest gun ownership rate in the US at 59.7% and a rate of 1.4 per 100,000. The UK claims 1.2 but remember it only counts solved cases with convictions. They also do not count as murder incidents we would here, at least not for reporting. You cannot compare the two countries.

9. avatar dwb says:

2 out of 5 felons will mess with an armed victim? Not in my house. At least, at their peril.

1. avatar DaveL says:

Well, considering that 20-30% of violent prison inmates could be considered borderline mentally retarded or worse, that isn’t too surprising.

1. avatar Henry Bowman says:

Yeah. In the only known case of a spree shooting that did NOT occur in a “phony gun-free zone,” the shooter was such a wacko that if he understood he was still on earth, he was having a good day. On the other hand, a Democratic political rally in the most liberal city in Arizona is probably the gun-freest zone in the state on any given day.

10. avatar Billy says:

To make the pic big enough to read the sources do this:
    Click on it… Then, underneath the title, you should see this:
    “By Nick Leghorn | Published May 8, 2013 | Full size is 1029 × 4529 pixels ”

Click on the “1029 x 4529” and then click again to zoom in if needed.

Right click and save and copy to Facebook or whatever you want.
    Please be kind, rewind.

11. avatar ampd says:

I believe in the UK violent crimes are only recorded after a criminal has been proven to be guilty rather than classify the actual impact to the victim. Soo they would have to be caught and tried for the violent crime statistic to be changed.

12. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

is a beautiful full page, easy to read…

1. avatar Nick Leghorn says:

Updated, thanks!

13. avatar A-Rod says:

A few weeks back there was a post here on TTAG about the governor of Maine stating how low the Maine crime rate is. Yeah because Maine is 98% white, does not have drug trade violence like other states and the general standard of living is better there than other states. The stats about causes of gun violence is pretty clear.

1. avatar JoshinGA says:

Dont forget the general lack of large urban centers as well.

2. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

Same deal here in Wyoming, and remember, we have the highest incidence of gun ownership our state population of any state.

14. avatar Rokurota says:

200,000: times a year women use guns to defend against sexual abuse.

FINALLY.

15. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Reading the poster just rang a bell for me. Why Obeyme is keeping the Fort Hood murders a “workplace” violence instead of a terrorist act against our military. Deaths of our soldiers are likely not counted. Therefore, Fort Hood, is just another mass shooting to bump the gun crime stats.

1. avatar DavidT says:

Also so the victim don’t get the typical military benefits due those killed or wounded in action. Little things like a purple heart, or survivor benefits, and they also get to say that is wasn’t a terrorist attack on US soil (they had a clean record on his watch until Boston, by that measure).

16. avatar g says:

Very nice… crisp, well designed infographic.

ON TO MY FACEBOOK PAGE YOU SHALL GO.

17. avatar Russ Bixby says:

Melikes!

18. avatar JohnO says:

Cool info. Typography isn’t great.

19. avatar Nigil says:

The BBC news article about people calling for the ban of pointy knives reads like “ban the AR” article, with knives instead. So much so it literally looks like a joke, and I had to check to make sure it really was BBC.

20. avatar Taurus609 says:

I don’t know when this was compiled, but how did we go down to 270 million guns in America! It has been 300 million for years and that was before the buying craze since 2008, where did all of those weapons go?

1. avatar Human Being says:

Tragic boating accidents…

1. avatar Taurus609 says:

Must be, although it doesn’t help our cause (and confirms the lies from the anti’s) that gun ownership is down….which it isn’t! I know many new gun owners since 2008 and I’m talking about folks who didn’t own any firearms, not just adding more to their safes.

2. avatar guy22 says:

Yup!!!

Guy22

3. avatar Rambeast says:

I’m willing to bet that no one really knows. Similar that no one knows exactly how many people are in the US illegally. Government has never been the greatest example of efficiency.

21. avatar Jon R. says:

Nick or RF, if you haven’t already done so, please add this to the gun facts section of the website so it can be easily found for future use.

1. avatar Human Being says:

Concur.

22. avatar Leon says:

Good stuff. It will help as I strive to educate my friends and associates about gun ownership and why I strongly support 2A.
    Thanks Nick!

23. avatar Human Being says:

Y’know, ever since I found out about Britain’s soaring violence statistics, I’ve joked about the nation “not being trustworthy with steak knives anymore”. But to find out that people are in fact trying to ban dinner cutlery…Damn….just…just Damn.