Coming Soon: 3D Printable AR-15 Lower with P-90 Style Stock

1369090588-xl

There’s a damn good reason why we keep harping on 3D printing as the biggest thing to happen to firearms design since the CNC machine became cheap enough to put in every machine shop in America — namely, that cool stuff like this is now possible. This is a prototype (found on Reddit last night) of an AR-15 receiver with a P-90 style stock called the Charon. 3D printing means that anyone with an idea can make their dream happen, even if it’s in the form of this unholy union.

UPDATE: Want to print it yourself? Here are the files. How about if you want to improve it? Download the source files and edit to your heart’s content.

comments

1. avatar CA says:

Makes me wonder if this would count as not having a pistol-grip for feature counting prohibitions.

1. avatar Chris says:

CT resident here. It counts 🙁 Our shitty new law specifically bans thumbhole stocks 🙁

1. avatar William says:

What about people with no thumb? We need to examine every detail. It’s our job.

2. avatar LLARMS says:

I believe thumb hole stocks are not counted as pistol grips. But I could be wrong, I do not live in a communism state. (and why people willfully live there is beyond me)

– D

1. avatar utdmatt says:

Nah, the grabbers have learned. All the latest state-level bans push thumb-hole stocks too.

1. avatar Anon in CT says:

Yup, the CT statute is pretty clearly written to anticipate this. We need an AR lower with a “traditional” rifle grip like a Mini-14. I would think it’s doable with a piston gun, but not a true AR D.I. system because you can’t exactly bend the buffer tube. Hopefully Stag Arms or Mossberg or someone else stuck here behind enemy lines comes up with a new kick-ass design.

Of course, my Tavor dreams are dead.

1. avatar Anon in CT says:

Thanks – that’s fugly as hell, but better than a limp noodle. I’m actually ok in the pre-new-ban AR lower department, but what I’m really pissed about is the other cool rifles that I can’t own now, starting with the Tavor. Unless someone comes up with a way to fix the mag to the Tavor, and then allow one to load no more than 10 rounds by opening the bottom of the mag, I can’t see how it can be made legal in CT.

2. avatar William says:

You REALLY need to find out the difference between Fascism and Communism; more folks might take you more seriously.

If corporations weren’t involved in our domination, you’d be correct. But YOU CANNOT ARGUE that corporations aren’t directing this, in part.

1. avatar neiowa says:

Yes American Corporate structure lead to our economic domination of the civilized world. YOU CANNOT AGRUE against the good in that. Rising tide lifts all boats.

Lasted until we allowed the left to surrender to your Marxists.

3. avatar John says:

I love this design. I’ve got to get me one of these 3D printers.

1. avatar rosignol says:

Hmm.

It seems to me that this would go best with an AR-57 upper. Has anyone tried it?

1. avatar Rambeast says:

The firdt thought I had was I found a new AR57 project.

2. avatar William says:

In general, folks will need to band together to acquire one; be careful who you associate with, and keep your mouths shut.

1. avatar RKflorida says:

Agreed. The most difficult thing for the current USA culture to do: “Keep Your Mouth Shut”. They just can’t do it. About anything.

3. avatar WarFairy says:

I’m glad you like my design.

Keep in mind that you’re going to need a printer with a working envelope of at least 6x6x4″ in order to be able to print each section in a complete piece.

4. avatar Tom says:

If it wasn’t a printed lower I’d jump all over it, if someone had a forged or machined version I’d jump all over it for a 9mm SBR.

4. avatar KY1911 says:

Me want

5. avatar Pwrserge says:

Might make a cool platform for a 5.56×45 SBR…

6. avatar ak74fan says:

sweet, the best thing about this is it will solve the issue of the back where the buffer tube screws in cracking in standard lower designs.

7. avatar Backyardsniper says:

I really like this design, I can see how this could solve the problems that defense distributed was having with the buffer tube area cracking and breaking. I’m also a big P90 fan anyway.

8. avatar Dook says:

Does something like this already exist as a retail lower? I’d love to add a lower like this to my lego collection. It would be a head-scratcher at the range for sure. 😀

9. avatar David Trest says:

This is brilliant. Reduction in the number of moving parts. Allows for a smaller, more compact package.

1. avatar darth says:

How is this a reduction in # of moveable parts (minus collapsible stock)? You still need a buffer spring.

1. avatar B says:

Stock, buffer tube, pistol grip, trigger guard. Thats a pretty substantial savings in parts there. Maybe $70 if you go for plain LE type stuff. Makes me wonder about the selector switch spring thats above the pistol grip. Guess it drops in from the top on that one.

1. avatar matt says:

ABS spools arent exactly cheap, and this uses a lot of it.

10. avatar In Memphis says:

I want this but I want it in a metal frame and an adjustable length of pull. This looks freakin cool.

1. avatar Jeff the Griz says:

Well since its being printed have it printed to a good length for you. That’s what I was thinking I like the p90 but I’m a big guy this would help in that…

2. avatar WarFairy says:

It has an adjustable LOP via a spacer system in the butt cover. Minimum LOP is 11.8-ish inches, and each spacer adds 10mm. You can make it to your desired length.

11. avatar Brian S says:

looks like the mag well is sized for 9mm or something?

1. avatar WarFairy says:

Nope, standard AR magazines.

12. avatar A-Rod says:

Can I get one in evil assault weapon black? Oh wait…. Can I get two? One for me and one for the kid.

1. avatar Gtfoxy says:

You can make as many as you want, providing you never sell them.

1. avatar Bill says:

I believe you mean, “provided you don’t build them with the intent to sell them” there is a difference. If you make it for yourself and one day get tire of it and sell it, no big deal, but if you make 20 in one week, post them on armslist for 200 bucks each, and the ATF get wind of it, you might have an issue

13. avatar Adam says:

I’d rather have a regular PG and collapsible stock, but it is cool. Would be great for areas where adjustable stocks are restricted.

If these machines can print a good-tasting pepperoni pizza, I’m buying one today.

1. avatar lolinski says:

Actually somebody is making that too, no joke.

ccheck out aptly named http://3dfoodprinter.org/

Is this a good thing, or another sign that he apocalypse is upon us?

1. avatar Jeff the Griz says:

Oh no Ralph tin hat time? Soilent Green anyone?

15. avatar Roll says:

Oooh this give me hope that someone will create the Magpul PDR “drop in” kit for an AR… Please do this someone…

1. avatar WarFairy says:

Working on it my friend. It’ll require a bufferless upper like the RRA LAR-PDS carbine or the ARAK-21, but it is coming.

16. avatar Bob Wall says:

Interesting name, “Charon,” named after the ferryman who takes souls to Hades.

Might present an image problem taken advantage of by the grabbers.

1. avatar Michael B. says:

The grabbers would take issue with it, no matter what the name.

Although it would be amusing to name it America.

So when inevitably they rant and rave about it you to get ask them: “Why do you hate America?”

lulz

2. avatar mosheen says:

The creator goes by the name “War Fairy”. I don’t think he cares.

3. avatar WarFairy says:

I named it the Charon because the myth behind him was that he was a neutral party. He did not care if you were evil or good, a sinner or a saint, he was simply there to convey the dead to their resting place.

Just as he was neutral, so is the firearm. It does not care one way or the other.

I could have named it something else, a prototype designation or some such, but no matter what the name, those that are against guns will be against this.

1. avatar CA.Ben says:

Wow, that is a genuinely well thought out name. I like it, a lot.

2. avatar Bob Wall says:

WarFairy – If I recall correctly, a penny for the ferryman, that’s all it took.

Thank you for explaining your rationale. Well thought out. Look forward to hearing about more of your products and the stories behind them.

Bob

17. Drop an AR57 upper on there = poor man’s PS90?

18. avatar Don says:

That’s a neat little thumbhole stock lower design!

I’d like to see a bullpup kit executed on lower like this!

-D

19. avatar IdahoPete says:

OOOOH, look – there goes another genie out of the bottle!! The ‘Bamster’s bureaucrats better jump on this one quick! Ooops, too late.

Maybe the Prez can issue an Exec order banning independent thought.

20. avatar louringe3 says:

I would not mint having one to play with

21. avatar Gtfoxy says:

One question:

Abiding by our civil liberties we can make as many firearns for ourselves as we want providing we never sell them. Otherwise we would have to serialize them & submit their numbers to the ATF.

That being said, what if;

Lets say someone has one of these 3d printers, has the materials, software, computer etc.

If he/she allows someone to use these things to make themselves one for themselves, are they “really* making it themselves?

To phrase it another way;
    Does simply pressing the “Enter” button yourself make it “your” gun?

I would say yes if you supply your own materials for said object…

1. avatar Nick says:

current law yes, as long as you are the one pressing the button to start the process you made it. there are CNC shops that sell you the 80% AR lower and have you press the button to finish machining it

2. avatar Rambeast says:

I will pay for time and materials, but load the file from my drive and start it up. There are no laws against renting manufacturing equipment that I know of.

Your state laws may provide otherwise. Federal laws provide no state law immunity.

22. avatar Fedaykin says:

Since WarFairy is probably asleep or something, here are some renders of the latest version!

Also, I’m not affiliated with this project in any way. I’m just reposting these

1. avatar In Memphis says:

I love it! Thanks.

2. avatar MN Matt says:

That looks absolutely hideous. I totally want one. 🙂

3. avatar mosheen says:

They need a render with a 7″ SBR.

23. avatar tangledthorns says:

Interesting idea but this would have to be made from polymer otherwise it’d be too damn heavy using aluminum.

1. avatar matt says:

magnesium

1. avatar tangledthorns says:

Fire hazard.

1. avatar matt says:

Aluminum and iron burns too, whatcha think is in Thermite?

2. avatar In Memphis says:

Yea, Id love to see a SEAL Team running magnesium guns, they wouldnt make it off the sub alive. Magnesium is reactive to water and burns a very bright hot flame. I used to hate fighting car fires on old VW’s because they used to have it in their steering colums.

I’ve seen magnesium burn in old car fires. The fires were bright enough to burn out your retinas. It’s seriously bad stuff.

2. avatar mosheen says:

It doesn’t catch fire when water gets on it though. Magnesium is damn hard to light. Just look a racing wheels and how much heat they take.

3. avatar matt says:

According to wikipedia all that happens when it comes in to contact with water, is that it generates small amounts hydrogen gas. It does react exothermically with strong acids, but so does aluminum.

24. avatar Anonymous says:

Very nice. How can I own one legally?

1. avatar mosheen says:

Build it. You can make your own firearms as long as they meet NFA rules.

25. avatar maize says:

The dropbox links are temporarily down. Here is a new download link http://www.sendspace.com/file/bv7vk2