Obscure Object of Desire: Elephant Trunk Holsters

The Andrews Custom Leather web site calls their gear that’s crafted from exotic leathers ‘wearable art’. Sam Andrews says his elephant hide holster is tougher than shit nails. If the thought of toting your .45 around in what used to be Dumbo’s nose causes you a twinge of guilt, as it did me, rest easy. Mr. Andrews assures us that all of his raw materials — whether it’s crocodile, cape buffalo, monitor lizard, tigershark or Indonesian frog — are ethically sourced. In the case of his pachyderm paraphernalia, it comes from deceased zoo animals. As Nick says, once it’s dead, it’s dead. You might as well put it to good use, no? There’s only one more thing you should never forget, though. Exotics aren’t cheap. So while an elephant hide holster for your prized 1911 will last you the rest of your life (and probably those of your grandchildren), it will run you a cool $500. But you only live once, right?

comments

1. avatar Russ Bixby says:

Well…

Since noone else is posting, I’ll come out and say it.

“Packin’ derms,” eh?

1. avatar Pantera Vazquez says:

Good one Russ.
      Two separate plays, one comment.

1. avatar Russ Bixby says:

[Takes a bow]

2. avatar MotoJB says:

“Ethically sourced” huh? Yeah right. No thanks.

3. avatar Bill says:

gotta admit, if I had everything else in my life paid for and paid off, I could see getting one of these, but I think I’d rather have elephant leather boots, perhaps lined with siberian tiger fur…

4. avatar In Memphis says:

If this doesnt p!&& off a bleeding heart animal rights anti gun hippie, I dont know what will.

Nothing against hippies, I know some that are pretty cool and on our side.

1. avatar Russ Bixby says:

A deceased zoo elephant is a pretty ethical source.

5. avatar Mark N. says:

There are plenty of legally hunted elephants, and no, nothing goes to waste.

6. avatar Lolinski says:

I dont see a use for this, I dont need/want a holdter for my Mosin Nagant.

7. avatar إبليس says:

Do police every confiscate holsters in DGUs? I feel stupid asking but it wouldn’t be surprising if they did.

1. avatar Ardent says:

It’s my experience that the police will (steal) take into evidence just about everything you’ve got. Weapon, holster, light, knife and anything else that looks like it might even be (something they want to keep for themselves) remotely possible to (get away with) justify (stealing) collecting as evidence. If you manage to prove your innocence you may eventually get some of it back. . . but not all of it, not even with a court order demanding it be returned. Incidentally I’m joking (partially) about the stealing. I’d imagine it all really is collected as evidence initially, it’s just that an awful lot of stuff goes missing while in police custody and a truly inconceivable amount of stuff is confiscated on the thinnest of pretenses. I’d imagine the situation varies heavily from department to department, but there is a small town force locally with whom it’s not uncommon to find repeat offenders attempting to hand over wallets and watches to family members or friends at the time of their arrest.
      Not every cop is a criminal, not even most. . . but when a cop is a criminal its often very, very bad.

8. avatar Don says:

Im against this because elephants are intelligent animals that have some level of emotion and reasoning capacity. I would prefer one made from PETA-hide leather.

1. avatar Robert says:

LMAO

9. avatar BStacks says:

You can get fantastically contructed exotic hide holsters for half that price from Azle, TX holster maker David Bullard. I hear is backlog for custom work is crazy these days though. http://store.dmbullardleather.com/in-stock-exotic-holsters