Irresponsible Gun Owner of the Day: Joshua Crabtree

Here’s an equation a Colorado Springs man never learned in Mr. Merello’s seventh grade finite math class: handgun + ammo X cleanliness impulse ÷ BAC = truncated digit. From thedenverchannel.com: “Joshua T. Crabtree [not pictured above] called police around 11:15 p.m. to his home on the 500 block of S Hancock Ave. Crabtree said he had been cleaning his gun when it accidentally went off, shooting him in the left index finger.” See? It wasn’t really his fault . . .

It just went off. Josh, who’ll now need to wear sandals to count all the way up to ten, apparently bought one of those pistols that fires itself from time to time. Guess his gun dealer left that feature out of the sales pitch.

Crabtree was arrested in connection with the incident, but police have not said what charges, if any, will be filed. Police say Crabtree had been drinking at the time of the shooting.

Since he’s now down a finger (or a portion thereof) we’re hoping he can use the IGOTD trophy he’ll be getting soon to make sure that chamber is clear in the future.

comments

1. avatar SCS says:

Yep. Dumbass was the first word that popped into my mind.

1. avatar AlphaGeek says:

Doesn’t answer the question I always have about stories like this:

Glock?

Lots of NDs by idiot owners have the Glock “pull trigger on empty chamber to field strip” requirement as a contributing factor.

1. avatar Michael B. says:

All idiots who have a ND have their fingers where they don’t belong.

2. avatar JSW says:

“…Lots of NDs by idiot owners have the Glock “pull trigger on empty chamber to field strip” requirement as a contributing factor…”

As opposed to following directions and removing the magazine, then insuring the chamber is empty by three different methods.

2. avatar Chase says:

Maybe, just maybe you shouldn’t NSFW crap on the front page.

1. avatar Bill says:

Guns themselves are a NSFW thing nowadays, so……..

1. avatar jwm says:

I see a niche market for Ashley and friends. There used to be a housecleaning service in the bay area that billed themselves as “Naked Housecleaners” or something very similar.

Ashley can open up a lingerie gun cleaning service. Guns serviced at home.

1. avatar JeffR says:

I’ve been visiting this site too frequently. I was momentarily distracted from Ashley when I saw that she put the cleaning brush directly into the bottle of Hoppes. That I was momentarily concerned about the Hoppes solution being contaminated is really, really sad.

2. avatar GS650G says:

What bottle of Hoppes are you talking about?

2. avatar Lucas D. says:

Maybe, but I’m sort of thinking if you’re a big enough boy to read a blog dedicated to one the least politically-correct interests in the world, you probably shouldn’t be getting your panties in a wad over a little PG-13 boobage.

3. avatar jwm says:

For the learning impaired. Alcohol and guns do not mix. No exceptions.

1. avatar Grasshopper says:

Except for the Swiss…who serve alcohol at some of their gun ranges.

4. avatar Aharon says:

Suddenly I’m in the mood for a glass of milk.

1. avatar CarlosT says:

It does a body good.

5. avatar MotoJB says:

Best pistol cleaning video I’ve ever seen!

1. avatar Leo338 says:

Pistol cleaning? Is that what it was about?

1. avatar Aharon says:

#1

2. avatar Cauldronborn says:

What pistol are you talking about?

6. avatar GRUMPY says:

Everytime I hear the phrase “it just went off” I can’t help but think of Dennis Learys’ rant about his son and the peanut butter and jelly sandwich in the VCR.” No it doesn’t! Peanutbutter does not dock!!!!” Please tell me someone knows what I’m talking about.

7. avatar Jon says:

I totally missed what Ashley was cleaning lol guess I got distracted 😉

8. avatar J in OR says:

Ashley can clean my Glock any time.

9. avatar I'm confused says:

Springfield XD’s require the trigger to be pulled while stripping also. Never had it go bang because I LOOK in the chamber before pulling trigger even though I know it’s unloaded.

Drinking does not help ones concentration. I stopped drinking when I started to shoot years ago. One or the other but not both…..

As noted, pulling the trigger is necessary to field strip quite a few striker-fired pistols. I’ve said it before: it’s a design defect. Yeah, I know you haven’t shot yourselves. I’m happy for you. But other people have, and the the design of certain guns makes it far too easy.

Fortunately, M&P pistols don’t require a trigger pull to disconnect the sear. Ruger SR pistols too. So why can’t Glock design a pistol that doesn’t facilitate an ND?

1. avatar CarlosT says:

Springfield took that flaw out of the XDm. Then unfortunately reintroduced it in the XDS. Really, it’s only an additional part or two, and it should be as standard as a gun being drop safe.

Agreed absolutely.

1. avatar Lucas D. says:

Another thing that should be standard? Always making certain the freakin’ chamber is clear. No little piece of metal or plastic in your gun is a substitute for the safety device between your ears.

This might sound callous, but I don’t care: I have absolutely no sympathy for idiots who hurt themselves with negligent discharges, only for the other people they might hurt with their carelessness.

2. avatar Pantera Vazquez says:

Glad my work pistol is an SR-9. empty, clear, push the sear, no trigger pull required….

3. avatar GS650G says:

I don’t own a Glock so I was unaware it had to be dry fired to disassemble. That’s an invitation to trouble.

11. avatar A-Rod says:

Reason #6 for me to get the Glock that I want – Ashley.

12. avatar Mediocrates says:

How am I supposed to pay attention with THOSE in my face?

1. avatar jwm says:

She walked into the bar with a pair of 38’s. Then she pulled a pistol out of her pocket.

13. avatar Gov. William J. Le Petomane says:

Not that idiots don’t occasionally shoot themselves, but I’m of the opinion that 9 times out of 10 when you hear about someone being killed when he was cleaning his firearm and it “just went off” it’s a suicide.

14. avatar janitor says:

call me weird, but i do this thing where i remove all ammo/mags from said fire arm to be cleaned, and move to a completely different room to clean it….then check it again before i start….idk guess i just have a bigger house than some folks.

15. avatar Randy Drescher says:

Yes, I learned a lot from “double barrel” Ashley, could have used some more info though. /// Don’t listen to em Josh, a real man only needs one finger anyways, Randy

16. avatar David says:

OK – am I the only one that thinks that the recoil spring looks more like a solid piece of plastic rod?

Leave the “I gotta solid rod right here for you, baby” comments out of this.

Notice that she never racks the slide (ok, ok, leave the “rack” comments out too) and lets it slam forward. She rides it forward (again, leave it alone). And at the end, too, after re-assembly – no evidence that there is an actual recoil spring there. Is she not physically strong enough to work the action of a Glock?

17. avatar RKflorida says:

Sleezy. Simply sleezy.

1. avatar Lucas D. says:

Aw, shut up and enjoy your boobs.