Vanity Fair: NRA School Shield Program Sucks. Whatever It Is.

“Like many tenuous protectively-named political initiatives (cf., the “Defense of Marriage Act”) the National School Shield Program would, if implemented, probably engender the diametric opposite of what its name suggests,” Vanity Fair‘s Julie Weiner pronounces in National Rifle Association’s “School Shield Program” Is Amazing April Fools’ Joke. Wait. “Probably”? Yup. ‘Cause the NRA is revealing details of its post-Newtown program to improve school safety tomorrow. It appears Ms. Weiner and/or her headline writer couldn’t be bothered to read the bill before passing judgement on it. To wit . . .

But how exactly is the N.R.A. ensuring schools are less safe? If you assumed “shield” was a euphemism for “gun,” then [fires three celebratory shots in the air, accidentally injures neighbor] congratulations! CNN reports that within the organization’s legislative proposal, “[l]aw enforcement officials will find training recommendations to prepare the armed guards who the organization believes should be available to schools. State and local officials will find guidelines on how to alter their ordinances to permit the armed guards.” No one will find anything that is remotely productive or persuasive or plausible.

No one that Ms. Weiner and her fellow champagne socialists clink glass with, she means. In fact, why would they even bother looking at it?

As one of TTAG’s Armed Intelligentsia pointed out recently, it’s the disarmament industry’s intellectual dishonesty that really rankles. Well, that and everything else, obviously.

comments

1. avatar anonymous says:

> “Like many tenuous protectively-named political initiatives

Like “assault weapons ban”?

1. avatar BlinkyPete says:

SAFE Act?

1. avatar JohnO says:

“Common-sense gun control.”

1. avatar WLCE says:

I was thinking of the PATRIOT Act.

1. avatar anonymous says:

> I was thinking of the PATRIOT Act.

It’s “USA PATRIOT” Act.

Uniting (and) Strengthening America (by) Providing Appropriate Tools Required (to) Intercept (and) Obstruct Terrorism Act of 2001

Anyone who cares about Uniting and Strengthening America would’t make that mistake. Please report to the nearest police station for questioning.

2. avatar GS650G says:

MD came up with Assault Pistols and Assault Long Gun. Hows that for creative-speak

2. avatar Pat says:

This “girl” (she says it, not me) writes about Justin Beiber and One Direction. Why even dignify her “writing” (that’s me) with a response. You probably quadrupled her readership.

1. avatar Tom says:

Exactly, Now 6 people read her column.
      When she turns 14, maybe she’ll understand how to check facts…?

1. avatar JohnO says:

She needs to learn the rules regarding hyphenation of compound modifiers, also.

3. avatar Roll says:

Good God, please tell me we aren’t taking Ms. Weiner seriously? She needs to go back to writing about whatever pop culture, fashion BS she is used to writing and let the adults do the talking when it comes to serious stuff.

Seriously? Vanity Fair?

4. avatar g says:

Because this girl writing for Vanity Fair is obviously a firearms and school security expert. OBVIOUSLY. (/sarcasm)

Speaking as someone who works at an elementary school, I’m as skeptical as anybody, but I’ll reserve judgement until I know the details. It’d be nice if I could CCP whenever I felt necessary, or I could receive security training (at discount, but then again, teachers are used to paying for training… pshhht), but I’m not holding my breath.

More like, I’m dreading the next school shooting…

5. avatar anonymous says:

> The National Rifle Association—the dangerous, deep-pocketed lobby
    > committed to the pandemically destructive objective of maintaining
    > Wayne LaPierre’s relevancy

Given the utter incompetence and gross negligence of the N.R.A. over the past four months, I actually agree with part of that description.

If LaPierre had any guts (pauses for laughter to die down), he would bring a 30-round AR-15 magazine with him for every talk show appearance in Washington, D.C. The District’s attorney general has already gone on the record that

prosecution would not promote public safety…nor serve the best interests of the people

for violation of D.C.’s magazine ban.

“Prosecution would not promote public safety…nor serve the best interests of the people” should have been the focus of a coherent P.R. message, instead of . . . whatever the N.R.A.’s message has been.

6. avatar AZ47 says:

heh……… WEINER

1. avatar Johnny says:

LOL Weiner

7. avatar Ing says:

So the idea of actually trying to defend children at school is…let me see…”not remotely productive or persuasive or plausible.” Thanks for the enlightenment, Julie.

When some deranged fame-seeker tries to outdo Adam Lanza’s death toll, I’m sure your words will be a great comfort to the families of all the dead children.

8. avatar anonymous says:

This seems somewhat relevant:

July 23, 2012
    How the Norwegians Reacted to Terrorism

An antidote to the American cycle of threat, fear, and overspending in response to terrorism is this, about Norway on the first anniversary of its terrorist massacre:

And at the political level, the Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg pledged to do everything to ensure the country’s core values were not undermined.

“The Norwegian response to violence is more democracy, more openness and greater political participation,” he said.

A year later it seems the prime minister has kept his word.

There have been no changes to the law to increase the powers of the police and security services, terrorism legislation remains the same and there have been no special provisions made for the trial of suspected terrorists.

On the streets of Oslo, CCTV cameras are still a comparatively rare sight and the police can only carry weapons after getting special permission.

Even the gate leading to the parliament building in the heart of Oslo remains open and unguarded.

( from Bruce Schneier ‘s web site)

9. avatar Big C says:

Maybe Wayne LaPierre should take to writing some articles on fashion and pop-culture….I’m pretty sure we all know how that would turn out. Too bad it doesn’t work the other way around.

1. avatar NWBob says:

I can do that review for all of us a la Joan Rivers:

“Weiner?” Too easy, insert your own line here. Between her haircut and the pattern on her shirt, I’m reminded of the late shit-for-brains leader, Yasser Arafat. In typical spoiled brat liberal fashion, she wears the ever eroded charm of a Hipster coming down off Ecstasy. Her eyes are big and remind me of one of those stupid paint-by-numbers kids from the 70’s that you had to work on at summer camp when it rained. She’s not going to age well. Her boyfriends better take advantage of her now while youth is her most attractive feature. Although, she probably swings both ways. Her over inflated ego, limited knowledge of the real world, and her intellectualism must surely be held together by Xanax and Adderall in a delicate balance between her PMS and her daddy issues.

I could have just called her a D bag, but then I’d be on her level. LMFAO

Guys, guys, guys. I think you’re being hard on the Weiner. She’s nothing more or less than what she was trained to be, and everything we’ve come to expect from the dumbed-down American education system.

1. avatar Bill F says:

Yes, give her a little credit. It takes a lot of energy to juggle two careers: writing about all things Beiber and being an extra on the set of The Walking Dead.

1. avatar William says:

LUCKY!

11. avatar Hinshelworld says:

Vanity Fair sucks. Whatever it is.

12. avatar littlegunguy says:

Could this actually be real?
    I have had a change of heart recently on gun control. I am going to change things with my vote, I have been enlightened by some of the comments by posters on this forum have made, I have been called a bigot and anti- semite. I certainly dont want to be that. So I have decided that I will now cast votes in favor of, schumer, leiberman, Feinstein, boxer, chertoff, Rahm Emanuel, Bloomberg, Goldberg, glickstein, glickmen, and any other Jewish polititian I can find. Won’t you join me TTAG.. thanks for helping me to see the truth that the Jews are on our side

1. avatar David W. says:

Wait so people called you an anti-semite, and then you complain about being called anti-semitic on a post written by a Jewish guy, and then proceed to call everyone reading said Jewish guy’s words anti-semitic?

I’m really confused…

Also you seem to think that because someone called you an anti-semite you should instantly start voting for Jewish people, not because you agree with what they want, but because simply they are Jewish? That’s sort of like the steryotypical super macho closeted gay guy who hates anything related to gay people because deep down he IS gay and doesn’t accept that fact. Maybe deep down you hate Jews and you can’t handle that fact about yourself?

Maybe therapy will help you come to terms with your hate, and then more therapy will help you learn that your hate is irrational. It’s okay to seek help man…

1. avatar Charlie Kilo says:

Sarcasm is ever elusive in typed out Internet posts.

1. avatar David W. says:

OH!

Okay… God I hate April first…

2. avatar littlegunguy says:

I just asked if it could be real…

13. avatar Brian says:

What is really sad — and I say this as a 30-something, professional, relatively urban and affluent person — is that the standard of debate for so many 30-something, professional, relatively urban and affluent people is who can come up with the best dismissive zinger. Does it have any relation to facts? Who cares! A good burn beats a well reasoned point every time.

This is obviously true on gun issues, but it is true on most every other topic as well, which does portend good things for a country theoretically based on the idea of government and elections by reasoned debate.

1. avatar trialstudent says:

Full of yourself are we!!!

1. avatar Brian says:

How so? I never said I was a good guy or a smart guy or a handsome guy, just that I fit certain objective demographic criteria and that people who fit same criteria (and are an important voting bloc, for better or worse) have seemingly abandoned debate for snark as self validating reason, which is bad for the future of politics in this country.

1. avatar The Original Brad says:

He’s a troll Brian, ignore him.

2. avatar Peter in W TN says:

It’s the sound bite culture.

14. avatar Pantera Vazquez says:

Someone explain to me why, true or not, do pro 2a folk need to give a rat’s @ss what Vanity Fair has to say. They themselves state openly that their view is shaded:
    @ google

Vanity Fair
    http://www.vanityfair.com/ShareHollywood, politics, royals, Wall Street, international news, fashion, society, scandal, and real estate—filtered through the exclusive prism of Vanity Fair.

‘Nuff Said……………..

1. avatar Shenandoah says:

Sounds like a bunch of f*ckin’ Tories to me.

15. avatar trialstudent says:

So your saying that is a good thing?

16. avatar Silver says:

And something this laughable is given consideration on this site because..?

Seriously, to even take the time to post this is to legitimize an “argument” that doesn’t deserve it. If the article was titled “Mind-Numbingly Stupid Product of Me-Generation Proves Why America Has No Future” then this would be legitimate.

I’m not a parent yet, and seeing creatures like this “woman” makes me terrified to be one. What if my offspring should turn out like this?

17. avatar drewtam says:

Glenn Reynolds [instapundit.com] often makes the point that Low Information voters are won and lost in the “Vanity Fair” battle spaces. These attacks cannot be brushed off or ignored as the ramblings of the ignorant. For too many people, these kinds of articles are the closest they will get to the fight.

1. avatar Brian says:

It probably isn’t a bad idea to go comment on the article in a polite, productive tone. That way when those low info voters read the post they also see people poking holes in the argument, not insulting the author. If nothing else they will see that there are two sides and only one is resorting to cheap snark.

18. avatar Gov. William J. Le Petomane says:

So what, she’s saying it will be like the “Affordable Healthcare Act”?

19. avatar William says:

Hey, LOOK! Somebody dressed up their Afghan!!

20. avatar Randy Drescher says:

Your looking at the clowns head that a person shouts their order into at the drive through, all you are ever going to get is, “gun bad”, Randy

21. avatar C says:

Too bad she’s an idiot. Pretty cute.

1. avatar Blehtastic says:

“Dating” girls that I could barely have a conversation with due to their insane viewpoints used to be something of a hobby.

2. avatar The Original Brad says:

No she’s not. She’s got a big nose and is hiding behind a helmet of hair. Vanity Fair. The clue should be in the first word of the magazine’s name.

22. avatar USMC says:

When she isn’t being an idiot she enjoys focusing on her hobby:

“….. I sit on the floor trying to untangle a Slinky from a bunch of hangers.”

Good for you Weiner, good for you. I wish you the very best with this herculean task. If you ever get that wily Slinky freed from the grasp of those treacherous hangers, I have an entire drawer full of tangled Christmas lights you can work on.

23. avatar anomous says:

Mmmm. I couldn’t care less about her writing, but this Weiner makes my weiner do funny things.

24. avatar FrankInFL says:

You misspelled “whiner”.

25. avatar Sosalty Sosauty says:

NRA again proves itself proactive toward saving lives. I just purchased my 27yr old daughter a subscription/membership to the NRA. Everyone should buy an NRA gift membership for someone they love.