Star Trek Cappucino Stirrer Sells for $231k

It’s a rifle, actually. Well not an actual rifle. A prop gun used in a Star Trek pilot, before Gene Roddenberry’s peeps settled for a gun that looked like a Norelco shaver. We previewed the sale here. And now we can report that julienslive.com sold the faux rifle for $231k, beating its $50 to $70k estimate by some margin. Dammit Jim, I’m a blogger not a mathematician! Oh and I think the name Reuben Klamer is some kind of inside joke from the Stage deli. Just sayin’ . . .

comments

1. avatar jwm says:

Trekkies are …………….

2. avatar ChuckN says:

It’s a mint piece of 23rd Century memorabilia, used by
    Captain Kirk himself. Why is anyone surprised that this
    commanded a high value?

FYI the phaser rifle is from the 2nd Pilot “Where no man
    has Gone Before”.

3. avatar Randy Drescher says:

It’s not banned already is it? I thought so, Randy

1. avatar SD3 says:

Heck yeah. It’s got one of those “things that go up”.

4. avatar CJ says:

In NY it must only be set to “stun”.

1. avatar William Burke says:

That’s yesterday’s news! Now Bloomberg’s decreed it can only be set to “confound”. Which leads me to believe he’s the actual owner, via a straw buyer.

1. avatar 16V says:

Takes me back to the good old days when Dennis Miller was funny.

“…I always thought they should have a more existential setting, like, I dunno, melancholy. “

2. avatar Pat says:

‘Confound’. The thing must have been used in all the states that passed all these anti-liberty (gun) laws in the past few months.

5. avatar Roscoe says:

For that kind of money one could buy a whole lot of finely engineered irons that work.

Until it can actually make something/someone go “poof” when pointed and fired, that prop is something only a non gunner could worship.

6. avatar Greg Camp says:

At least that one had a holosight. Most Star Fleet personnel just shoot from the hip or point shoot.

1. avatar Pwrserge says:

To be fair, Star Fleet personnel are not exactly military… In later series the actual troops have HUDs and know how to use them, however most personnel are glorified eggheads. Not a huge surprise the get their teeth kicked in every time they get into ground combat. That’s why, in the old days, ships has marines.

7. avatar Hal says:

The lack of any type of sighting system on most phasers and disruptors always bugged me.

When I first read RF’s page title for this, I hadn’t yet scrolled down far enough to see the photo. I said to myself, “Self, why would anyone pay that kind of money for the spoon Sulu used to stir his coffee prior to the sleek and sexy USS Excelsior being hit by the Praxis energy wave? Any why is this on a gun blog?”

Then I scrolled down.

Whatever. I am proud to be a nerd.

1. avatar Pat says:

Sleek and sexy? That ‘bucket o’ bolts’….Scottie. The ship does look sexy, though.

I bought one of those at Lowe’s last week for $49.95. They thought it was for stirring paint.

What a bunch of maroons. I guess I got over on them!

9. avatar SGC says:

It never ceases to amaze me how much money nerds have to waste! That being said, I wish I’d paid more attention in school…:(

10. avatar CarlosT says:

It’s the same as a game ball from a Super Bowl or a World Cup. It’s paraphernalia from some event people are passionate about. Enough of them have money to drive up bidding because of that association and there you are. If you share at least some of the interest, it makes sense to you; if you don’t, it doesn’t. Personally, if I had that kind of money to drop on memorabilia, I’d rather spend it on a scifi prop than a sports item, although in my case I’d go for Stargate before Star Trek.

1. avatar Pat says:

I said I would have paid the 50-70K for the piece a few weeks back. A quarter mil is alot of cabbage. I think that was the only phaser rifle used in the original series by kirk and Co.

11. avatar g says:

Yes, but does it come with a red shirt?

1. avatar Russ Bixby says:

If it does, then the gun’s free for the taking as spoils when the shirt-wearer kicks it.