Shooting at Denver Pot Festival

“Gunfire erupted at a Denver pot celebration Saturday, injuring two people and scattering a crowd of thousands at a downtown park after they had just marked the first 4/20 counterculture holiday since the state legalized marijuana,” cbsnews.com reports. “The man and woman who were shot were expected to survive, and police were looking for one or two suspects, said Denver Police spokesman Sonny Jackson. Witnesses described a scene in which a jovial atmosphere quickly turned to one of panic just before 5 p.m. Several thought firecrackers were being set off, then a man fell bleeding, his dog also shot . . .

Denver pot festival (courtesycbsnews.com)

Ian Bay, who was skateboarding through Civic Center Park when shots erupted, said he was listening to music on his headphones when he looked to his right and saw a swarm of hundreds of people running at him. ‘I sort of panicked. I thought I was going through an anxiety thing because so many people were coming after me,’ he said.

Understandable, on lots of levels.

comments

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

They shot his dog? String ’em up.

1. avatar Doug says:

Makes me think it was a cop

1. avatar Mark N. says:

Ditto. Event over, time to clear out the crowd. Shoot the dog, and everyone runs away.

2. avatar Sammy says:

Doug, that was totally uncalled for, sir.

1. avatar Nickbnumbers says:

maybe it was uncalled for…but it was my first thought as well.

2. avatar Jeh says:

Na, firing squad is more like it.

2. avatar CCDWGuy says:

Would you call this a “pot shot”. Legalize pot and demonize guns.

3. avatar chuck says:

Maybe in their stoned stuper they miss understood what it means to “shotgun” a blunt.

4. avatar Thomas Paine says:

ban marijuana!

5. avatar MotoJB says:

Ban violent stoners!

1. avatar ready,fire,aim says:

ban guns….er… oh ya they did

1. avatar Russ Bixby says:

Now THAT was funny.

6. avatar MotoJB says:

“Rapper Lil’ Flip was performing when the shootings occurred.”

Yo, yo, yo! That “splains” everything…

1. avatar 16V says:

Sadly, there is much statistical support to this theory.

2. avatar Mobile Infantry says:

Yo, yo, yo, HA! I laughed for a solid 5 minutes after reading that post. That made my day.

1. avatar TX Gun Gal says:

Me too, just hope the dog is OK

7. avatar shawn says:

No wonder someone wigged out and started shooting. Whoever started shooting was probably so high from the contact buzz they got just from being in the immediate vicinity, seriously look at all that freakin smoke hovering above those people. Its ridiculous that they will allow everyone to wonder around stoned in the middle of the city, but they wont allow anyone to protect themselves with more than ten or however many rounds they are allowed to have now to protect themselves.

1. avatar Bob says:

15 rounds now.

2. avatar Doug says:

Because marajuana makes people so violent….

1. avatar Gabriel Martin says:

Drugs affect people differently, me I just giggle and laugh at everything, my old boss turned into furniture and an old co-worker became aggressive and violent.

1. avatar jason21m says:

Which is why it is each person’s responsibility to use (or not use) in a safe manner. If you do something harmful to others, you should be held accountable. No need to ban stuff. (Not specifically saying this to you, Gabriel, just putting it out there.)

3. avatar Mike says:

Someone should shoot you so you dont pass stupidity on to the next generation. contact buzz? who the f are you? have you even lived a day in this century? and then you start complaining about the number of bullets you have…effin retard

8. avatar Chuck Pelto says:

But. But. But…..

Only the police are allowed to have guns in that area!

1. avatar ChrisMcLain says:

Maybe it was a cop, I mean the guys dog was shot.

1. avatar dsreno says:

That’s what I was thinking. Some rogue cop smelled the smoke and reverted to his drug bust training.

It’s not a proper bust unless you shoot a dog.

1. avatar Quantum Zen says:

I lol’d!

2. avatar Jarhead1982 says:

Was it Cheech & Chongs Labrador?

9. avatar David W. says:

Holy crap was it foggy that day or is that smoke???

For all we know a cop there for normal guard duty or checking for something more illegal than pot got super high and started shooting people.

My god that is a lot of smoke.

Just holy crap.

1. avatar Hal J. says:

Rocky Mountain High….Colorado….

1. avatar Sammy says:

Constitution freeeeee…………..Colorado.
        You can shoot at meeeee………Colorado
        ‘Cause it’s all gun freeeee……..Colorado

1. avatar Hal J. says:

It’s sad, we used to be reliably pro-gun rights, but in the last 10 years or so we’ve been completely Californicated.

10. avatar Eric says:

Old Bloomberg is licking his chops over this story. Guns, smoking and pot. Think he wants to run for mayor of Denver?

1. avatar Sammy says:

I think me prefers being the emperor of NY.

11. avatar Aharon says:

Rumor has it that Bill Clinton was at the event sporting dreadlocks and smoking a bong.

1. Yeah, but he didn’t inhale.

1. avatar ChrisMcLain says:

Neither did she 😉

1. avatar Aharon says:

But did she swallow?

2. avatar Sammy says:

She tried some sort of gag.

12. avatar jwm says:

Violent potheads?

1. avatar 16V says:

Right. I’m sure there’s one out there, but out of the (at least) thousands of pot smokers I’ve met, I’ve never seen one the least inclined to violence. They’re too busy contemplating how to link the Xbox with the vaporizer to make the ‘ultimate reward for finishing a level’ or whatnot.

Dooooooooooood…

1. avatar Leo338 says:

While your typical hippie pot smoker is not violent you have to remember a lot of gansters smoke pot. Being Latino and growing up in a really bad part of town I was around a lot of people like this. I am still friends with some but I don’t hang out with them at all. Anyway, when they smoke they don’t get peaceful at all, it’s as if it has more of an alcohol type of effect on them.

2. Sounds unlikely. More like a sale gone wrong.

1. avatar Sammy says:

Sounds like a “shotgun” gone wrong.

13. avatar 16V says:

In all the years (20+?) they’ve been doing it (I think as many as ABQ) and now that it’s legal there’s a violent incident?

1. avatar Leo338 says:

Do you live in ABQ? Everyone here goes to Roosevelt park on 4-20. They have been doing it for years.

14. avatar Anon says:

Oh COME ON!

15. avatar EPThorn says:

Hope the dog’s okay…

16. avatar Chris says:

Two of the phases I’ve gone through in my life include:
    1.Drinking. A LOT. During that particular time, I got in a lot of physical fights, as did the people I was drinking with. No guns were produced, but this was quite some time ago.
    2.Smoking pot. It was a completely different circle of people, and a completely different mindset. I smoked a bunch of weed, ate a shit ton of junk food, and gained about 40lbs. During that time, I never once saw or participated in a violent act -instigated- by stoners.
    I’m not defending pot smoking, and I haven’t burned down in almost 2 decades. But, I’d much rather hang around a bunch of people high on weed who want nothing more than some pizza than a bunch of drunken frat boys who wanna have a dick measuring contest that’s adjudicated with their fists.

1. avatar What about Bob says:

This really is true.

17. avatar Sixpack70 says:

I suspect a SWAT team member was there because a dog was shot.

1. avatar Liberty2Alpha says:

This.

2. avatar ChrisMcLain says:

haha you beat me to it.

3. avatar 16V says:

Denver isn’t that far from South Park, so I do kinda wonder if Eric Cartman was involved somehow.

(S9E02 if you missed it)

1. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

“Here’s some joints… and a guitar.”

One of my favorite episodes.

1. avatar 16V says:

Someday soonish when business (or whatever) gets me near your area code, I’ll buy the drinks and the meat cooked with fire, you just specify the place.

18. avatar Dave S says:

I can see no good coming from legalization of pot. what other things involving new government regulations have done well?

1. avatar PK says:

I can see no good coming from legalization of guns. What other things involving new government regulations have done well?

OR

I can see no good coming from legalization of alcohol. What other things involving new government regulations have done well?

Tell me again where it says in the Constitution that the Federal government has any legitimate way to regulate substances for consumption. The very same document that protects your basic human right to self defense protects the very basic human right to own your body and determine, on your own, what you consume.

1. avatar Ensitue says:

Yeah but in Modern America I own the medical bills your body incurs hence your body belongs to me, it’s that Social Justice Catch-22

1. avatar PK says:

If you drink, smoke, eat unhealthily, don’t exercise a proper amount, etc., then you too belong to me as you so rudely say. Modern American and all that, isn’t it? You had best be in perfect medical shape before you use that argument.

2. avatar jerry says:

Don’t smoke dope, and don’t think much of people who do, but by that logic Ensitue the govt can mandate daily exercise and Mcdonalds outings only once a month.

19. avatar Milsurp Collector says:

I know weed has its medicinal purposes but just look at the smoke in that photo; that can’t be healthy for anyone to breathe in such a high concentration. Good thing Hickenlooper passed that mag cap bill to prevent things like this from happening *sarc*.

20. avatar C says:

Maybe the stoners will grow up now that it’s legal, but i doubt it. I liken it to underage kids thinking they’re cool because they drink. But as soon as one turns 21 and is allowed to drink whenever, the novelty wears off pretty quick.

1. avatar Mike says:

youre a loser

Stoners are only violent when someone comes between them and their Doritos. Oh, well. To rephrase Shakespeare in The Taming of the Shrew, “a little pot and soon shot.”

1. avatar ChrisMcLain says:

No no no this is bad, Tim loves his Doritos.

1. avatar Herb says:

The difference between a drunk driver & a stoned driver?

A drunk driver will blow right past a stop sign; a stoned driver will stop & wait for it to turn green. While munching Doritos.

22. avatar Fred says:

When the crotchety old man said “turn down that racket” he meant it.

23. avatar Ensitue says:

Gun Free Zone

24. avatar schizuki says:

Obviously a right-winger celebrating Hitler’s birthday. They do that, don’tcha know. Learned that from NPR.

25. avatar Gov. William J. Le Petomane says:

Personally I don’t partake myself but I’m 100% for the legalization (and taxation – I have to pay the alcohol tax dammit) of pot, yet somehow I feel a certain sense of schadenfreude.

That said, I hope everyone is okay and their pain and suffering is a small price to pay for a good war story and scar to prove it.

26. avatar MooCow says:

Damn none of you guys recognized that Richmond PD allows their officers to use 1911’s. its pretty famous for cop gunnies in nor cal. IF you want to carry a 1911 get a job at Richmond PD. They also used to have a pretty cowboy reputation for a ghetto department.

I also remember Lt Tirona used to visit and indoor range I worked at. Seemed like a nice guy could tell he was into guns even then where we were both young-ens.

1. avatar Ensitue says:

Lynwood PD started packing 45s 50 years ago
      12 Ga.s on their Harleys too boot

1. avatar 16V says:

So, you’re saying that pretty much everything these guys own is so unreliable as to predictably malfunction on a daily basis?

27. avatar matt says:

There is more smoke in that picture than a black powder range, or the Knobb Creek machine gun shoot.

1. avatar Ensitue says:

New meaning to the term ‘Loaded’?

28. avatar Avid Reader says:

Someone’s mellow got harshed. . .

29. avatar LongBeach says:

Wait, what were we talking about? I can’t feel my feet. Hey man, can I bum some sour patch kids?

30. avatar DisThunder says:

Poor potheads. They don’t come much softer in the sphere of soft targets than that.

31. avatar warriorshonor says:

There goes the theory that pot makes everyone mellow….

32. avatar 2nd Amendment Rules says:

The government needs to put a few tons of POISONED Pot, Heroin, and other dope on the streets.

After a few thousand dope-addict scumbags die the rest would be afraid to buy or use the junk!

1. avatar Phil-USN says:

What is wrong with this guy?

1. avatar 2nd Amendment Rules says:

Nothing wrong with me: I want to rid the world of dope-heads and drunks that threaten me and my family!

If a member of my family is ever harmed by a drunk or drug user they will not make it to trial.

1. avatar csmallo says:

People like you are why we have to have a 2nd Amendment. You are more dangerous to people than any pot smoker.

2. avatar PK says:

In such an event, you have now shown premeditation for murder. I truly hope you never chance upon such a situation.

2. avatar Mike in NC says:

I don’t support the idea, but it’s been done before: to alcohol supplies during prohibition and to Mexican pot in the 70’s.

3. avatar Mike says:

wow, great idea. people start dying from the pot they buy and everything just magically gets peaceful. if i knew you i’d kill you myself. no one would miss you, not even your precious family

33. avatar tdiinva says:

Many people are under the illusion that once you make something legal the the criminals who made their living on the formerly illegal good or service are instantly transformed into fine upstanding law abiding citizens. Would it be so. Fifty years after the end of Prohibition the mob still controlled the wholesale liquor trade. Those of you who expect crime to drop when drugs are legalized are going to be sorely disappointed.

1. avatar Dr. Kenneth Noisewater says:

Well, there’ll be a whole lot less victimless possession crimes clogging up the system. Oh, and without the ridiculous profits, a whole lot less violent crime too, like when Prohibition was repealed.

Will there be a drug-money Kennedy equivalent? Probably. Better that than putting up with statist conservatives who are no more than lattr-day Carrie Nations.

1. avatar tdiinva says:

I suggest you go back and look at a Bruce Kraft post that included a historical graph on US murder rates. The graph shows that murder rate rose rapidly after 1900 with the influx of Russian Jewish and Italian gangsters. The murder rate was already increasing at declining rate during Prohibition. It spiked in the late 1920s, not because of prohibition, but because that is when the national organized crime cartel formed. They were just finishing off the hold outs. The murder rate began its decline before Prohibition ended as the gang wars were settled. The murder rate in the teens and twenties was driven by the war between the Jewish-Italian mob taking over the organized crime business from the Irish mob. During much of this time drugs, prostitution and gambling were legal in many places.

The high murder rate today is not about drugs. It is about the social disintegration in our urban centers that is a result of a social policy that has led to an increase in out-of-wedlock births and welfare dependency. We are on social path, endorsed by Progressives and their Libertarian stooges to extend social model to the rest of society. Legalizing drugs will not solve the problem of gang driven violence. Just as the lifting of prohibition did not end organized crime in America or the legalization of vice in Nevada did not prevent the mob from running the place.

Drug legalization is to Libertarians is what gun control is to Progressives.

34. avatar mediocrates says:

nawwww duuuuuude. relax and take another toke….

35. avatar Dan says:

Is this the first time potheads ran toward the police instead of away?

36. avatar Wonderbread says:

The cause of the shooting was not the NRA.
    The cause of the shooting was not the THC.

The cause of the shooting was simply TNB.

37. avatar Wonderbread says:

“I sort of panicked. I thought I was going through an anxiety thing because so many people were coming after me,” he said.
    —————————————————————————–
    You can’t make up anything more hilarious than that…

38. avatar Preston says:

Is it just me or is anyone a little concerned that they apparently already had arial surveillance of this gathering prior to the shooting? Is it normal to have that kind of surveillance at a gathering of this size or… ?