Senator Ayotte To Vote No on Manchin-Toomey Bill

Screen Shot 2013-04-17 at 1.36.54 PM

Statement: “I believe that restricting the rights of law-abiding gun owners will not prevent a deranged individual or criminal from obtaining and misusing firearms to commit violence. While steps must be taken to improve the existing background check system, I will not support the Manchin-Toomey legislation, which I believe would place unnecessary burdens on law-abiding gun owners and allow for potential overreach by the federal government into private gun sales.” This could well be the death knell for the bill. Watch this space. Again, click here for live coverage of the Senate debate.

comments

1. avatar tdiinva says:

Senator Heitkamp (D-ND) is also a no. It’s going down.

1. avatar k4R-15 says:

It’s really going to be close as of this morning… 52 Senators in favor of Toomey-Manchin, 6 undecided and that leaves us with 6-8 potential last minute flip flops….

Too close for my liking. I called again today…

2. avatar imrambi says:

Kudos to Ayotte!

3. This tweet just came across and oh boy does it just ooze with ignorance and stupidity:

Murphy (D-CT) now: bckgrd chcks opposition can’t be written off to gun lobby. “Some ppl really believe we should go back to the wild west.”— Ana Marie Cox (@anamariecox) April 17, 2013

Illustrating Chicago’s Murders, Homicides, Violence and Idiocy at heyjackass.com

1. avatar jerry says:

But he respects the Second Amendment!

2. avatar Davis Thompson says:

If the Wild West means allowing law-abiding Americans the rights to possess the means for self defense and defense of liberty, then hell yeah.

3. avatar Silver says:

The “wild west” was safer than that era’s New York. Just as pro-gun states today are infinitely safer than “civilized” cities.

4. avatar Thomas Paine says:

i want to see Toomey vote No. that would be hilarious.

5. avatar mlopilato says:

Have Indiana Senators spoken yet?

6. avatar Carry.45 says:

Good. I was pissed when I saw her name on that negative post the other day. I expect senators in this great state to compose themselves better than that.

1. avatar Rob Drummond says:

Senator Ayotte is a stand up lady. I wrote all the NH reps including Gov Hassan more than a few times during all this uproar since Newtown. She was the only one to write me back. I am glad she is my Senator.
      Rob Drummond
      Hillsboro, NH

7. avatar Davis Thompson says:

This is all because of pressure from US! Keep it up.

8. avatar My Name Is Bob says:

Hope this bill bites the dust… KEEP CALLING!!!! ROBBLE! ROBBLE! ROBBLE!!!!!!!!!