Quote of the Day: Gun Control Zealots Edition

Thomas Sowell (courtesy ricochet.com)

“The gun control crusade today is like the Prohibition crusade 100 years ago. It is a shared zealotry that binds the self-righteous know-it-alls in a warm fellowship of those who see themselves as fighting on the side of the angels against the forces of evil. It is a lofty role that they are not about to give up for anything so mundane as facts– or even the lives of other people.” – Dr. Thomas Sowell, Guns Save Lives [via townhall.com] [h/t AWW]

comments

1. avatar Charles5 says:

Like I keep saying, it is all about emotion for these people. If it feels right, do it, regardless of whether or not it IS right or grounded in reason.

2. avatar IHATECT says:

Boom! Direct Hit.

3. avatar C says:

Tom Sowell is my hero.

1. avatar DJ says:

+1. His books are all excellent.

2. avatar Jim R says:

I’ve read some of his stuff. The man is a certifiable genius.

1. avatar William Burke says:

“Certifiable” by WHOM? The National Board of Geniusry?

I have no quibble with Sowell, but that’s a pretty absurd statement, WHEN YOU THINK ABOUT IT.

1. avatar Mensa? says:

Heard of Mensa?

2. avatar Randy says:

He’s a genius in my opinion. Is that acceptable to you?

3. avatar GS650G says:

His peers and any lucky to have him as a teacher.

3. avatar Billy Wardlaw says:

One of mine as well.

4. avatar DaveL says:

The way I explained it to my nephew recently was this: In Africa, when children die tragically, they pick a random woman out of the village and execute her as a witch. In America, we ban “assault weapons”. Same principle.

1. avatar Randy Drescher says:

I was hoping they would just pick feinswine & leave the guns alone.// When the pres talkes today I’m just going to be reminded of Gleason saying “blabbermouth”, Randy

1. avatar iuvenal says:

I bet she weighs as much as a duck……
        EDIT: dammit you guys beat me to it

2. avatar tdiinva says:

We are lucky they don’t pick out a random woman AR owner and burn her as a witch.

1. avatar AWW says:

It’s far too dangerous to do so because she has an AR…first they take the AR and then…see what I did there!?

2. avatar Brian says:

Only if she doesn’t weigh more than a duck. Then they will see if she floats, and if not then they will burn her. If she doesn’t turn you into a newt first.

1. avatar surlycmd says:

So, logically–
          – If she weighs the same as a duck…
          – she’s made of wood.
          – And therefore?
          – A witch!

So, logically–
          – If the rifle looks the same as a military rifle…
          – it’s scary.
          – And therefore?
          – it must be banned!

2. avatar 16V says:

Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?

3. avatar Ing says:

And in the end, all you’re left with are very small rocks (which may or may not float on water).

3. avatar Russ Bixby says:

Not quite; the Africans getting their jollies by going about burning one another – just like we used to way back when – has no bearing on the tragic deaths apart from the tragic deaths of the supposed witches.

They’re going after something marginally related to the problem, which is easier to sell to supposedly educated sheeple.

Used to be kids here would filet one another, so many kinds of knives were banned. Now it’s guns, although if teenage sh!ts would confine their victims to other teenage sh!ts that’d be alright with me; it’s he collateral damage hats the problem.

It’s also illegal in many places to make or own numerous kinds of clubs. They keep going after the weapons instead of the root causes and allowing us a modicum of defensive capability. What’s next? Hands?

We’d all be much safer were we most of us quadriplegic, with others to was and feed us. Yeah.

As I’ve observed about social workers and the damage they do, evil is inherently self-limiting, but it’s hard to stop a do-gooder.

1. avatar William Burke says:

+10,000 on the social workers! Rabid scum; if they can sink their control talons in, they won’t ever let go on their own. I’ve known SO many people whose very existence they’ve made miserable, just because they can.

Me included. DON’T have ANY dealing with social workers if you can possibly avoid it!

5. avatar mediocrates says:

agreed. spot on.

6. avatar EagleScout87 says:

Thomas Sowell has been one of my heroes for a very very long time.

7. avatar surlycmd says:

This is the best quote I’ve read in a while. It makes perfect sense and it will be completely ignored by the anti-gun crowd.

1. avatar Pantera Vazquez says:

As is to be expected. The anti crowd ignore facts as they would not serve any purpose for their argument. When facts become useless, emotions come into play.

8. avatar Haiku Guy says:

The fact that people are still getting on TV and confusing automatic and semi-automatic weapons shows that facts just don’t matter at all, in this case.

1. avatar surlycmd says:

I believe that most of them, especially the media, are too stupid to understand semi in semi-automatic.

1. avatar Billy Wardlaw says:

A Semi-Automatic is an Automatic weapon that can stop a Semi…duh!

9. avatar Patrick says:

This also happens to be one of today’s LewRockwell.com articles:

(Same text, less obnoxious ads)

10. avatar Noob says:

This is one of the reasons why I’ve been calling them “prohibitionists” instead of “gun grabbers” in any of my discussions. We need to start controlling the language here because, so far, they’re steering things.

1. avatar William Burke says:

Thanks for reminding us. This is an excellent tactic. Hats off.

11. avatar Woody says:

Racist.

Oh, wait…

12. avatar Mina says:

It also closely parallels the pit bull hysteria and subsequent ban efforts that have been ongoing for 15+ years.

Matter of fact, I have often when fighting BSL pulled strategies and verbiage from the fight against gun control when presenting to local municipalities, et al.

Here’s one of my very favorite links “A Strategy for Defeating Gun Control in the United States”: http://www.stentorian.com/2ndamend/strategy.html

“This page is not about defending Second Amendment rights. The National Rifle Association and its allies have done enough defending, enough trying to hold on to the rights that belong to the American people, while the liberal elitists and collectivists have picked away at those rights a piece at a time. It is time to follow the advice of General George S. Patton: “We are not interested in holding on to anything except the enemy. We’re going to hold on to him by the nose, and we’re going to kick him in the [pants].” This page is not only about keeping the elitists and collectivists from taking more, it is about destroying much of what they have already won. It is about leaving their movement in the same condition that the Russian field marshal Alexander V. Suvorov (1729-1800) left the Turkish fortress of Ismail.”

1. avatar William Burke says:

Pit Bulls are bad news. The people who seek them out to own are equally bad news. Look around.

1. avatar Mina says:

You, my friend, are a hypocrit.

If I were a gun grabber and I said the same about you for seeking out an AR-15 you would rail me for it.

Either you are for freedom and people’s rights to run their lives the way they please or you’re not. Choosing freedom for one issue and restrictions of citizens rights for another is hypocrisy. Especially when its framed within the context of “when it’s something I love/care about I should be free to choose it – when it’s something I hate you shouldn’t”

Try being ideologically consistent. It shows you have integrity.

13. avatar AWW says:

What used to be on television:

Milton Friedman & Thomas Sowell vs. Frances Piven

14. avatar Lance says:

Best logic on the matter that’s why I read Townhall.com!

15. avatar JhonnieB. says:

President Dr. Ben Carson needs to appoint this gentleman-genius to a Cabinet position!!!