Incendiary Image of the Day: Shepard Fairey, Take 3

Bill of Rights

This is turning into cottage industry for some of the more graphically inclined among our Armed Intelligentsia members. This latest effort is from Dale.

comments

1. avatar Pantera Vazquez says:

Interesting, defending BOTH sides….

2. avatar Carry.45 says:

My two year old has a better chance of making one of these than I do. So I appreciate those among us who can make these to further our cause.

3. avatar John says:

suggestion…
    put them on someplace like cafepress to be bought. I’d add them to the signs I already have on my property that I did on vistaprint. alternatively, links to hi-res copies suitable for printing to 18″x27″ size?

1. avatar Luke Ellerbrock says:

Commercializing some one else’s artwork sounds like a dangerous proposition.

We have intellectual property laws for a reason.

1. avatar MikeM says:

One could make the case that these images constitute commentary or criticism, and would therefore be exempted under the fair use provisions of copyright law. To be sure, just donate any profits to a charity. In any event, if you’re worried about a lawsuit, just ask Mr. Fairey what he thinks of commercializing someone else’s artwork.

4. avatar Moonshine says:

Need to add a widget for one-click FaceBook sharing on these.

5. avatar Accur81 says:

Much better. A graphic representation that the 2A protects the 1A; therefore vindicating the value of both.

6. avatar Roscoe says:

Last sentence; go bold: “Even when it’s un-American.”

7. avatar bo says:

Can we stop using that red background with black text? It feels like a communist propaganda poster…Oh wait…

1. avatar Dale says:

I’d considered changing the background color as well, or even making it red, white, and blue…but when I tried it the overall effect moved too far away from the original image and I wanted the parody-connection to stand.

8. avatar Ike says:

“But should the people of America once become capable of that deep simulation towards one another, and towards foreign nations, which assumes the language of justice and moderation, while it is practising iniquity and extravagance, and displays in the most captivating manner the charming pictures of candour, frankness, and sincerity, while it is rioting in rapine and insolence, this country will be the most miserable habitation in the world.”

John Adams, 11 October 1798

Read it again…. In more modern English…..
    “When the people of the United States become so two-faced toward each other and toward foreign nations, pretending to be for justice and moderation while practicing iniquity and extravagance and representing themselves in charming pictures of candor, frankness and sincerity, while actually participating in unrestrained wanton robbery, seizure and plunder, with rude, arrogant lack of respect, this country will be the most miserable place to live in the world.

Whoa! Written in 1798! I suddenly have a new-found respect for our founding fathers!

More:
    “Liberty must at all hazards be supported. We have a right to it, derived from our Maker. But if we had not, our fathers have earned and bought it for us, at the expense of their ease, their estates, their pleasure, and their blood.
    John Adams, 1765

“Liberty, once lost, is lost forever. ”
    John Adams, 1775

9. avatar Russ Bixby says:

‘Tis indeed strange; only in America would one say to a grabber:

“I’ll defend to the death your right to attack my right to defend our rights.”

10. avatar Chip says:

This one is Awesome!

Dale, can we talk? I’ve got a tshirt press and you’ve got some kick-ass art…. lets make it wearable!

11. avatar In Memphis says:

I want this as a framed poster

12. avatar Frank says:

My thing about our rights, especially the 1st amendment, is that you may say or print whatever you want, unless you are using that to deprive some other person of their rights. Then we have a problem.

Stop pussyfooting. The caption should read “American Riflemen — Blasting the Nuts off of Bad Guys Since 1776.”

14. avatar gabba says:

so you’re calling the ACLU “patriots”?

1. avatar Dale says:

I’m saying patriots don’t treat the Bill of Rights like an a-la-carte where you get to pick the parts you like and ignore the rest.
      (I’m also taking a jab at the original piece of artwork posted earlier. You’d need to see that to fully understand this)

2. avatar gunyouzer says:

Arguing and fighting for individual liberties against those who wish to violate our protected rights? Sure, why not?