Incendiary Image of the Day: Shepard Fairey Anti-NRA Poster Edition

The buildup was relentless. The buzz surrounding the event incredibly intense. You couldn’t have missed the constant promotions, the ineluctable call to action. Yesterday, our nation’s capitol played host to the Great Washington March Against Gun Violence. The organizers, including Moveon, Occupy the NRA and United for Change USA, even convinced Shepard Fairey, creative genius behind the original Obama ‘Hope’ poster, to unveil his new anti-NRA effort there to get things off to a rousing start. You saw the reports on all the media outlets last night, right? No? Maybe that’s because no one bothered to show up . . .

And by no one, we mean less than 100 people. Media included. The Washington Examiner’s Charlie Spiering fought his way through the throngs to capture a few snaps of yesterday’s festivities.

And the gun control industrial complex continues to look at the smoldering shambles of national civilian disarmament legislation and wonder, “wha happa?”

comments

1. avatar Bobby Joe Blythe says:

Sorry ass illiterate ignoranus idiots…..needs to be wiped out 10 or 30 at time…..liberals needs a royal ass kicking

1. avatar mike says:

Your post doesnt exactly help with making pro gun people not seem like angry, violent people. Saying lets wipe out and kick the ass of people who think differently than us sounds a lot like them doesnt it.

1. avatar Chas says:

I don’t have a problem with people having a different opinion than mine, but when that opinion involves taking constitutional rights away in the name of “the children”, then I get fairly honery myself.

1. avatar Cortney says:

I completely agree with Mike. Also, it’s “ignoramus.”

Sorry to be that guy.

2. I don’t know, ignoranus is a pretty good one…

3. avatar Stinkeye says:

Is “ignoranus” Latin for “dumbass”?

2. avatar Jake says:

I believe he is implying that the “artist” used extremely poor phrasing, implying a similar level of language degeneration as shared by most of society in Airstrip One.

1. avatar Herb says:

To Stinkeye:

Not bad, but “ignoramus” is Latin for “We do not know”.

Sums that bunch up pretty good, I’d say.

3. avatar Kirk says:

How about this one, Mikey?

As I say, “I want one. In too-large-for-indoor-display format.”

The thing about Libs: they do the arts well. I would be extra-proud to frame one of these.

2. avatar Houstorm says:

Though for the record; I’d probably buy that Franken AR-47 depicted if offered for sale.

1. avatar Gov. William J. Le Petomane says:

I was just about to ask how you put the AK magazine in an AR.

1. avatar rosignol says:

It’s an AK-15!

2. avatar William Burke says:

With the thingy that goes up!

Shepard Fairey is a STALINIST TICK.

1. avatar Bedbugeddy says:

He’s probably a Fu***ng Fairy.

Oops, sorry I mean he is probably a loving person that enjoys the love and affection of a member of the same sex. YUCK.

2. avatar PavePusher says:

Out of levels to reply to “Bedbugeddy”, sorry.

Bed: Thanks for making friends and influencing people. Some of whom might actually be on our side of this issue. But hey, if you think bigotry is a viable tactic, I urge you to continue with it. Just do it elsewhere so I don’t have to shower off the filth after reading it. thnxkayby!

3. avatar Tarrou says:

So, Bedbugeddy sees a franken-gun and some anti-NRA propaganda, and his mind jumps directly to some presumably hot man-on-man action. Methinks he doth protest just a bit too much.

Say, what does this gun remind you of? “Gay sex”
          This frying pan? “Gay sex”
          How about a television? “Gay sex”

It’s like watching toddler wander into the room with her hands behind her back, and break teh silence with “I haven’t been playing in the toilet!”.

2. avatar Matt says:

Rock River basically makes that rifle. It’s called the LAR-47, I think.

1. avatar Houstorm says:

Did not know that, thanks.

3. avatar KCK says:

If you mean Al Franken.
      I wouldn’t buy anything from him nor anything he says.

And dog gonnit people DON’T like him!

1. avatar Rambeast says:

Funny enough, I am patiently waiting on my “AR-47” rifle kit to be delivered. Still unsure what to build on the other stripped lower I have in the safe. If the rifle functions as well as I hope, I might build a second.

3. avatar Nine says:

What kind of Frakengun is that?

The Magazine and Flash Suppressor look all wrong.

1. avatar gloomhound says:

The kind that doesn’t get you sued for copyright infringement.

1. avatar Nine says:

My thought was the kind drawn by someone who has no clue.

4. avatar KY1911 says:

Proof that the marriage of an AK and an AR would produce ugly children.

1. avatar Roll says:

Know what would make ugly children? Feinstien and Piers Morgan…bleeah…stupid childred probably too..

1. Ewww! Man, that’s just gross.

1. avatar Sean says:

I’ve always liked the Krink booster, but man it just looks so awful on an ar…

2. avatar Jarhead1982 says:

Even a pig would turns its nose up at that!

2. avatar bontai Joe says:

“Feinstien and Piers Morgan”….. now that’s a mental image that will require Brillo to clean out of my brain. Plus you ruined my appetite for dinner tonight. I don’t know if either has children, but thank goodness she is too old to breed any more.

5. avatar Roll says:

Lol I’ve seen bigger turn out at friday office parties.

I wonder if the creators of the poster intentionally failed at drawing an AK/AR/Krink and made it purposely reminiscent of Stalin/Communist/Soviet/Chinese/North Korean Propaganda posters?

1. avatar Mister Fleas says:

No, Shepard Fairey, the creator, is always promoting communism with his works.

The real question is: Whose work is he plagiarizing this time?

1. avatar m11_9 says:

I would buy a print if someone wants to photoshop the text to end at the word ‘America’. I like it up until that point.

6. avatar Don says:

I don’t think a muzzle booster would do anything for an AR15 nor AK47 nor any gas operated firearm…

-D

7. avatar Daniel Silverman says:

I have to admit the poster is kinda cool, message is garbage, but oh well.

1. avatar William Burke says:

True, Daniel, if it wasn’t the same old Leninist lapdog claptrap he always produces.

In agitprop art, there is derivative and there is poison derivative.

8. avatar Jooboo says:

I met Shepard once. Nice guy. Never understood the craze over his art though. I think his Obama print was kind of a lucky fluke (not to mention he stole the photo) that propelled him into stardom and now he’s trendy in the hip liberal scene. Also, seems kind of hypocritical to me though because a lot of his works features guerrilla fighters carrying “assault weapons”.

Another well-intentioned idiot…

9. avatar Pulatso says:

This is the same guy who did the Andre The Giant Has A Posse stickers, then got butt hurt when Titan Sports issue a C&D (for using their ©’d image), and made the Obey Giant sticker in protest…and has himself (reportedly) issued C&Ds to others using the Obey Giant
    commercially.

10. avatar Shire-man says:

So God is saving his mags, Satan is buying more mags and the NRA is a dove in flight with a target on it’s back?

I’m not sure the poster means what they think it means.

1. avatar Roger says:

Symbolism is hard.

1. avatar Hank says:

Indeed it is. If you’re going to invoke God and a dove on the same poster, this poster has the NRA as the Holy Spirit, and which one–God or Satan?–about to use the least efficient bird hunting weapon to take him down?

Meh. Looks like a rip of the old leftover Soviet stuff I used to see in Russia.

Come to think of it, why don’t they save themselves some time and just reuse this one? http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8108/8511910549_d0b02982e6_z.jpg

11. avatar Pwrserge says:

NRA defamation lawsuit in 3… 2… 1…

12. avatar Fug says:

The guy who came up with the image is the same guy who did the old “Andre the Giant has a posse” stickers from the 90s. I used to whiz on them in the urinal on a regular basis as a kid. He did Obama’s creepy poster and he is the owner and inspiration behind the popular hipster clothing label “Obey.”

American liberals are an increasingly scary bunch. They have taken Soviet Kitsch to the next level with this imagery being so directly associated with Obama and his celebrity supporters. It’s like pop culture Marxist collectivism, completely divorced from reality, but with infinite wealth and media power behind it.

13. avatar TS says:

Man –

The left are such rhetorical idiots. They should stick to playing up race and class warfare – it’s their only real winner. It’s like they think saying “God saved and Satan invests” is going to have some sort of pull on people who actually believe that both God and evil (personified here in Satan) actually exist.

The poster is visually awesome…

14. avatar The mayor of Candor says:

I’m trying to figure out if the rifle was a guitar what chord would that be?

1. avatar Cortney says:

Four broken strings and a grossly out-of-tune E.

2. avatar designczar says:

Ummm…Fmaj7 played by a beginning student waiting for correction by his teacher because he can’t figure out why it sounds so bad?

P.S. Who the hell holds a rifle like that?

1. avatar Blehtastic says:

If it was an AK and it was rusted up pretty good, that’s about how I’d hold it to pull on the charging handle, before I put the buttstock on the ground to stomp it open.

But on a regular basis, maybe some jihadis that don’t know what they’re doing. Otherwise, nobody.

15. avatar uncle nunzie says:

Shouldn’t the muzzle be aimed toward the dove target with brass ejecting in an arc? 😉

16. avatar JR LORENCZ says:

Pretty much something any high school kid in graphic arts could have put together, only it would have been better. Even as poster art, it’s not quite to the level of mediocre.

17. avatar Jeh says:

Did he mess up the gun in the poster on purpose or does he not know what one looks like?

1. avatar William Burke says:

You’ve misjudged: he doesn’t CARE what one looks like. In fact, he sorta wishes he’d never seen one.

1. avatar The Original Brad says:

Who cares? Ban it!

18. avatar Leo338 says:

I wonder if we could take this image and use it for our benefit? Perhaps use the image but remove or change all the words? Can you imagine the outrage from the progressives if they saw a bunch of us wearing these shirts?

BTW: I saw more people enter the last gun show in the first 5 minutes than what showed up to this pathetic event.

1. avatar Mike in NC says:

Ace of Spades HQ has one revised for a different cause under the title “So, About That Anti-NRA Poster” and click the ‘continue reading’.

1. avatar StPatrick says:

A fellow moron sighting on TTAG! Ace is always my first click of the day.

19. avatar Pantera Vazquez says:

Well, if we go by the poster’s writing:

I am Satan.

I got no problem with that.

1. avatar bernard says:

Also depends on how you interpret the word satan, which has roots meaning against or opposed. It doesn’t always refer to the devil, but to any opposing force. Hence, referring to America as the Great Satan is not really inflammatory.

20. avatar Mindflayer says:

Kind of like MAIG is full of criminals, the poster’s creator is a criminal as well:

On February 24, 2012 Fairey pleaded guilty to criminal contempt of court for “destroying documents and manufacturing evidence.”On September 7, 2012 Fairey was sentenced to 300 hours of community service, ordered to pay a $25,000 federal fine, and placed on probation for two years by U.S. Magistrate Judge Frank Maas.

21. avatar BurnOut says:

I wouldn’t mind a copy of that propaganda poster to hang on the wall next to my safe.

22. avatar Amanathia says:

The image is like…someone stuck an AK-47 magazine into an AR-15 looking rifle. And then scaled down a rocket nozzle to mount on the end for the lolz. This image has serious photoshop caption potential, it’s awesome. I think this will probably not have the effect the creator intended. Quite the opposite.

I’m getting kind of amused by all the anti-gun propaganda. I don’t know anyone who it’s working on, and I work in an office where only 20% or so of people (if that) own guns. It’s kind of hilarious. What’s even funnier is that last year, all everyone was talking about was how messed up Romney (note: Romney sucked too) was, etc. Now all everyone is talking about is how fed up with Obama they are. And this is in LIBERAL PORTLAND. They are pushing propaganda on so many things right now that it’s just making people wake up (and making people laugh).

It’s like someone went back to soviet russia. Wait…it’s better than that.

You know those images from North Korea where you see the propaganda posters about the evil evil USA? This is EXACTLY LIKE THOSE. Only instead of Evil Evil USA imperialists! It’s Evil Evil NRA! It’s hilarious. Seriously, you could drop this guy into the North Korea propaganda department and he’d fit right in, the posters have exactly the same elements. Funny if it weren’t so sad. Hell, it’s still funny, let’s be honest. It isn’t going to work.

1. avatar Chuck Pelto says:

Liberals aren’t. Progressives won’t.

1. avatar The Original Brad says:

“I don’t know anyone who it’s working on”

Does the term “circle jerk” mean anything to you?

Now you know who this is for….

23. avatar Chuck Pelto says:

TO: All
    RE: How True

Where….Satan invests in assault weapons and high capacity magazines.

Just look at DHS and its billions of rounds of ammo for murdering people.

Regards,

Chuck(le)
    [And people doubt that this administration is ‘Evil’……]

P.S. And don’t forget the MRAPs…..

24. avatar Eric says:

Can’t the nra Sue for slander, or something?

25. avatar Gregolas says:

“God saves” may or may not refer to physical protection in real life. It’s clear in the Bible that He hasn’t guaranteed anyone’s safety. However, He has given us the ability, tools, and permission to defend ourselves and others. See: Isaiah 54:16; Prov.24:10-12;Matt.7:12;Lu.10:36-37.
    Since God has commanded us to defend innocent life, then logically, investing in weapons is a heavenly, rather than a satanic task. Conclusion: poster is theological bunk!

26. avatar Chip says:

Have we ever figured out what they mean by “High Capacity?” I know it has a double meaning in places like Colorado, but what is considered High and who decided?

27. avatar Trogdor says:

Where is it legal to use rifles to hunt doves?

My first thought was, “what would Stalin do?”

1. avatar The Original Brad says:

Have his secret police infiltrate an NRA rally, then arrest all the independent thinkers for trumped up charges using military style tactics, torture them and then release them later after a thorough discrediting and public shaming. If that doesn’t work, kill them at one of their evil gun ranges using a brainwashed PTSD military vet who’s been programmed, Jason Bourne style, to react upon secret command.

Sound familiar?

29. avatar Michael C says:

So THAT’S what 90% of all Americans looks like. Now I understand how 90% of Americans support ‘commonsense gun control, measures’.

30. avatar shawn says:

Wow, TTAG is behind. This is the 2nd edition of this screen print. The 1st was about two weeks ago. There is another print by lifeversa that copies the mortons salt girl with the killing in newtonand this came out about three months ago. Lifeversa is also military. It is art and freedom of expression. Get over it and move on. I would rather this be allowed than censored. If it was, then this country really has gone down the toilet. You guys are starting to sound like pansies when something negative in the art or media world comes up about guns. Frak, they tried it with music. Nothing happened.

31. avatar akira says:

Shawn: I don’t think anyone on TTAG is saying this kind of material should be outlawed.. Just pointing out how ridiculous it is. I mean, look at it: the artist doesn’t even seem to know what kind of gun he’s drawing.

1. avatar shawn says:

I know that, but he is an artist…they do crazy stuff. So, ignore it and move on. Just like Pierce Morgan.

32. avatar g says:

It’s a ridiculous poster… I doubt it’ll change anyone’s mind, one way or another. Not very iconic given the artist’s resume.

33. avatar Bobiojimbo says:

Anyone else notice how Shepard Fairey took the artistic freedom to combine an AR-15, AK, and something else (that muzzle break doesn’t look like a standard AK or AR break)? Is he accusing the milions of gun owners in this country of being Satan? Or is he implying that Satan is arming himself for Armageddon? I’m honestly just confused by this poster and his message. Perhaps he should have just stuck with: “I disagree with NRA and the 2nd Amendment.”

34. avatar Ben says:

Shepard Fairey is a huge douche, but I kind of like the poster. It’s so over the top it’s amusing.

35. avatar BmielB says:

To everyone above commenting about the AR/AK Frankengun, I hate to give the artist too much credit but I think it might be an MGI Hydra. The fixtures on the bottom of the handguard are dead ringers for the Hydra’s barrel locking cams. What do you think?

36. avatar Derek says:

I’m about 99% convinced that political cartoonists use inaccurate depictions of firearms for the sole purpose of annoying us.

37. avatar JSF01 says:

I think he stole that poster from some where else and just edited it. I swear I have seen that poster with different words and instead of the AR it was originally an AK, which would explain the AK mag and flash surpresser as left over from the original image.

1. avatar shawn says:

That is what he does now a days. He can not come up with anything original anymore.

38. avatar Carlos U. says:

I see they favor the Magpul/Christ Costa handguard grip…