What’s it Like to Shoot IDPA? Watch Joshcam

This month’s International Defensive Pistol Association match at the Arnold Rifle and Pistol Club started out drizzly. While most of us anticipated a nice day for shooting, the weather decided we needed an extra dose of gloom and misery. I am extra crabby because I showed up late, and missed my chance to shoot. I must live vicariously through a fellow IDPA competitor Josh, who thoughtfully provides this interesting video from a camera mounted onto his headgear. Enjoy Joshcam – and I can tell you shooting IDPA is a hell of a lot more fun than watching it – and watching is pretty fun.

comments

1. avatar AK says:

Good shooting and pretty good use of cover as well- it really irks the shit out of me when competition guys just kind of run into the open and start shooting every target from a stationary position. I know paper doesn’t shoot back but it seems like building bad habits.

1. avatar IFR says:

There is more than one reason to participate in IDPA.

If one is competing to maximize their score, why not eliminate parts that do not contribute toward that goal when they aren’t required to attain it.

Why wouldn’t a MLB pitcher throw fastballs to his kid every time they play catch. Seems like building bad habits.

2. avatar Tim McNabb says:

In IDPA, you have to use cover properly or you will get a “procedural” ding. You have to “slice the pie” and engage targets in the correct order.

1. avatar Taurus609 says:

Tim, I keep telling myself to do IDPA, just wish I’d get off the dime and try it. Sorry you were late and missed your chance, that looked like a lot of fun!

Thanks for the video!

2. avatar Rick says:

Why was someone in front of you while you were making ready on the second stage?

3. avatar Armchair Command'oh says:

He must of limp-wristed at 1:11 because Glocks don’t malfunction. Ever.

4. avatar Nick says:

Looks fun but after reading the 82 page pdf for the rules Im not so sure.

1. avatar KY1911 says:

There really aren’t that many rules in IDPA…the rule book is deceptive in size as it talks about classifications, holsters, etc. Honestly, IDPA is pretty straightforward: use cover, slice the pie, don’t leave ammo behind. It’s great fun and will show you your weaknesses immediately.

2. avatar NWGlocker says:

Competitions are great fun; don’t let rules scare you away.

3. avatar Thomas Paine says:

MLB baseball .pdf is 130 pages. Half of six, twelve dozen the other.

5. avatar Scott says:

That was awesome!

6. avatar Stephen Lutman says:

It was raining and 39 degrees out and there were still 85 shooters there. With 10 new shooters at this match and 20 last month, it’s no wonder I can’t find any small pistol primers.

7. avatar Jim R says:

That looked like a TON of fun. I gotta find one of these near me.

8. avatar Jesse says:

I have videoed all of my IDPA nad USPSA matches from last year and uploaded them all to youtube. It has been the single best thing to try and introduce new members to the sport.

9. avatar James1000 says:

I shoot IDPA locally. Two reasons, it’s fun as hell and it keeps you sharp. The pressure to think about your actions, the timer and others watching definitely adds some stress. Which is good should you ever be in a real situation.

10. avatar g says:

I looked an IDPA place near me, but looks like they don’t allow photo or video. Too bad… I’d probably want video of myself doing the exercises just because being able to watch your own movements can help you improve on things you don’t notice in the moment of shooting. Maybe once I convince a buddy to come with me…

11. avatar Jim says:

I shoot at a local club here in west TN. Super fun day. They shoot 12 months out of the year, rain/snow/sleet/hail/blistering heat. Good group.