Gun Grabber Gabby Giffords on New AR-15 Photos

Former Congresswoman, spree killer survivor and gun control advocate; and Tucson policeman after shooting a white guy with a MAC-10 (courtesy faceboook.com)

In our last post on former astronaut and professional husband Mark Kelly, we remained unconvinced that the gun control advocate bought an AR-15 to show how easy it is to buy an AR-15 (as claimed). Since then, we published a cropped photo of Mr. Kelly’s wife Gabrielle Giffords cradling an AR-15. Yesterday, the former Congresswoman and spree killer survivor turned gun control advocate published a non-cropped version of the original image, a bonus image and an “explanation” for the event on Facebook. [Full text and additional image after the jump] Team Giffords is going with we never wanted to ban AR-15s only “more strongly regulate them.” So Ms. Giffords joins her husband in our estimation: she’s a hypocrite, coward and “secret” gun lover. If she wrote this . . .

Former Congresswoman, spree killer survivor turned gun control advocate Gabrielle Giffords with an AK-47 (courtesy facebook.com)

Here are two photos of me that a conservative blog has dug up. I remember both of these days fondly. The first is at the Tucson Police Department firing range. They invited me to test rifles and tasers that they bought with federal funds, which I helped secure. The second was in Afghanistan while I was visiting with our troops serving abroad. My work as Southern Arizona’s Congresswoman frequently put me in close contact with some of the world’s most powerful and deadly weapons – supporting police departments, advocating for the Border Patrol, standing up for our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, and supporting my constituents’ and my own Second Amendment rights.

I grew up with guns, and I like owning them. So does my husband Mark. It’s an interest we’ve shared ever since we met. It’s part of my heritage as an Arizonan and it’s my right as an American. Being able to shoot a gun is something I haven’t been able to do since I was shot – because my right arm is paralyzed, and I’m less mobile than I was.

As I member of the House Armed Services Committee, I proudly spent a lot of time with our military, border patrol and state and local law enforcement. I guess the intention of those who have publicized these photos is to somehow call into question my belief that military style assault weapons should be more strongly regulated with background checks and other safeguards. I have never wavered in my support for those who serve our country. I fought to make sure they have the weapons and safety gear needed to carry out their mission, and proper health and mental care when their service ends.

Both sides of the gun violence debate usually miss the point. We don’t have to choose between owning, using, and enjoying guns, on one hand, and preventing gun violence, on the other. Both sides need to come together to support commonsense solutions to gun violence, like keeping guns out of the hands of dangerous people like the young man who shot me. That’s why I’m fighting this fight. That’s why I’m working to bring people together to support gun rights and reduce gun violence. I hope you join me.

comments

1. avatar Sam C says:

Why does that police officer have ACU’s?

1. avatar Don says:

Either because the buildings in his city are painted with a lot of desert and brush murals to blend into or because we’ve manufactured more soldiers than we have wars abroad for them to fight in, so they do as they are trained for war here in civil society.

2. avatar Rightontheleftcoast says:

Uhhhh. He got it for free- its the one pattern that is universally despised by operators as completely ineffective.

1. avatar SeanC says:

I’ll take them for free. I’m no operator, but I can attest they work quite well on deer.

2. avatar Don says:

Like what kind of operators? Steamroller operators? Mop operators? Endoscope operators?

1. avatar joseph says:

There’s a backhoe operator working with a crew in our neighborhood that positively adores the ACU pattern, dude wears ACU’s to work every day. Ridiculous.

3. avatar SeanC says:

You mean the ACU’s that have a “Police” patch? More evidence of the continuing militarization of local police departments.

Ms. Giffords’ response appears to be consistent with the photos. Her response does sound reasonable and laudatory except for the loaded phrase “commonsense solutions to gun violence” that most often means “gun ban” by those on the other side of the fence. She claims to be standing in the middle ground and I do hope that she and her husband distance themselves from the gun banners as she is so eager to distance herself from those who clearly support the 2A.

4. avatar William says:

Because they’re not any good for combat troops. It’s a waste-control program!

5. avatar Bob2 says:

So, if the police dress up like military personnel without being a member of the military, would that mean they would face prosecution under Geneva Convention should the US be at war? I remember that the penalties are pretty steep. I know the answer…it is yes. Here’s another point. Two decades ago I had been a USAF SP. Wearing a uniform that resembles that of a member of the military near or on an Air Base when you are not in the military is a crime, and you will get arrested. I know I would not have hesitated to apprehend/detain a civilian police officer if he committed a crime like that.

2. avatar Joseph says:

I doubt she wrote that.

1. avatar Thomas Paine says:

me too.

2. avatar pk in AZ says:

+ 1 MILLION!

The few times she’s been in public, the few words she has spoken…

If she wrote this, there was no reason for her to resign from Congress…

I believe she is an unwilling puppet here…

The POS hypocrite Mark Kelly should be ashamed!

1. avatar Brad says:

Respectfully disagree.

Speaking and writing are two different things. Ever hear Stephan Hawking speak? He can’t, but few would doubt the brilliance of his mind.

Ok, she’s no Stephan Hawking but my point is, she may very well have written that or at the very least read it and approved.

I doubt she’s as an unwitting pawn as you may believe.

1. avatar Matt in NC says:

I understand your point, but Hawking has a form of ALS. His mind is unaffected by the disease. Mrs. Giffords took a bullet through her brain. I am not familiar with her specific diagnosis, but I would bet that her mental function was affected by the trauma. Apples and oranges. This woman is being used as a pawn by those who wish to simply push their anti-gun agenda.

2. avatar mountocean says:

I’m with you Brad. I had a Thermodynamics professor in college that had recently “recovered” from a stroke. He couldn’t write on the chalkboard and could barely speak, but he could put together a mean powerpoint and once we learned to understand him (and wait for him to form the words) he was a still a brillient engineer. My anecdote doesn’t confirm Giffords has the capability, but it proves the possibility.

3. avatar Jake says:

I can’t even watch her speak, it just makes me sick to my stomach seeing her dangle from puppet strings. Much as I disagree with her ideas pre and post injury, I pity the pawn she has become due to that injury.

3. avatar mark_anthony_78 says:

Collapsible stock: CHECK
    “High” Capacity Magazine: CHECK
    Front Pistol Grip: CHECK
    Flash Suppressor: CHECK

It’s amazing she didn’t go on a killing rampage at that range. After all, the gun had all those deadly features on it, right?

1. avatar Frank Williams says:

But did it have that shoulder thing that goes up? That’s the deciding factor on whether or not it will incite a killing spree.

1. avatar Scott says:

Wonder if she was shooting some of the imploding bullets Feinstein talked about to Sen. Cruz…

2. avatar John says:

She has to be suffering PTSD just like many troops that are being denied weapyons when they go to purchase a gun. Many gun control nuts believe that anybody that has seen combat action should not be able to own guns, they’re mentally unstable. If that’s true Mrs Gifford should not be holding a gun.

4. avatar TangledThorns says:

Gifford and Kelly are pure political opportunists and should move to Chicago.

1. avatar Leo Atrox says:

Man, we have enough anti-gun crusaders and phsychophants in the Chicago area. We don’t need anymore. Besides, I doubt the Giffords would be welcome in Chicago. They’re too “right-wing” to fit into the Chicago Machine.

2. avatar jp says:

Hell no! We don’t need anymore of them here!

3. avatar Bob2 says:

I agree that they are opportunists. Very few people would have known who she was outside her state if she had not been shot by a psychopathic socialist trying to make a statement to the world..

5. avatar Pascal says:

@RF, do you have an snippets from Mr and Mrs Gun Grabber testimony to refute her claims? It would be hilarious to take her statements and then used them against her.

6. For someone who “grew up with guns and likes owning them”, it sure looks like no one every showed her how to hold a rifle.

1. avatar Robert Farago says:

I presume you noticed that she’s lasering Officer Krupke’s foot.

1. And that bowed back stance in the second shot, too. Lean into that thing!

2. avatar Nor'Easter says:

Indeed, if she’d tried a 12 G like that she would have made the U-Tube funnies. Even so, considering the trauma both Giffords and Kelly have been through and infuriating as some of their testimony has been, I do believe we should cut them some slack. There are bigger and better enemies to abuse.

1. avatar New York Stagehand says:

While that may be true, Nor’Easter, they entered the arena of their own free will. If the attention can get them to actually think things through AND publicly backtrack or even quit the field, it would be a worthwhile psychological victory for the side of civil rights (our side here.)

When people say “you have to cut them some slack because of all they have been through” it is a logical fallacy (I forget specifically which one…) If they need some slack, they can have it, by getting out of the limelight. It is no different than using a baby carriage to push through a crowd or playing the “race card.” It’s quitting because you are loosing. If the Gifford-Kelly political team wants some slack, they are welcome to it: Return to private life. Go with our blessings. But if they want to be in politics, they are IN politics and that is subject to the comment of the polity.

1. avatar roscoe says:

Are you kidding Nor’Easter;

these two were co-opted by the anti 2A gun grabber crowd. Those people never miss an opportunity to capitalize on a tragedy no matter how hurtful or disgusting their actions may be to the victims and other viewers.

The Giffords chose to go with it, so I guess that makes it open season for their decision.

There is no doubt that her statement was made with significant help from others in the anti 2A control crowd. That’s why it is so measured and well written given her debilitating condition. And the second to the last sentence in her statement is most revealing and gives away the secret of a ghost writer: “That’s why I’m working to bring people together to support gun rights and reduce gun violence.”

2. avatar Tom says:

Never cut them slack!
        Never. Are they giving us any? Hit back twice as hard!!!

1. avatar Nor'Easter says:

You guys are both right of coarse, but my heart goes out to them even if my mind doesn’t.

7. avatar Gunracer1958 says:

“I have never wavered in my support for those who serve our country. I fought to make sure they have the weapons and safety gear needed to carry out their mission”

Is she making the jump that those who serve are the “militia” or is she stating that they are somehow more deserving of her support or does she support the ongoing “class” warfare……………?

Me thinks its just another case of a politician speaking out of both sides of their mouth, while pretty much not understanding the bigger picture…………..

1. avatar Ing says:

In rhetorical terms, it’s a red herring. Her support for the military has absolutely nothing to do with the issue of civilian disarmament and gun prohibition — but we’re not supposed to notice that.

If she thought about the relevance of that statement at all, it was with the hope that we’ll lose the scent and get confused because hey, she does support people with guns after all!

8. avatar JohnnyNRA says:

Its fake what happen.

9. avatar Michael says:

Well obviously this police officer’s AO is in a gravel pit, hence the UCP. Also, only the cool kids wear multicam.

10. avatar Alex Peterson says:

I, for one, can’t blame someone who was targeted by a madman and survived a head shot for arming themselves. That being said, I can’t think of any legitimate reason why she would join the march for civilian disarmament. Of course, I don’t consider furthering one’s political career as a legitimate reason.

1. avatar JT says:

She no longer has a career in politics. IMO her husband is using her as a puppet for his own political aspirations. Bloomberg probably promised him a blank check if he jumped on the anti-gun bandwagon. I expect him to try to run for Gabby’s old house seat in 2014.

1. avatar Juanito ''Johnnie'' Ibañez says:

You mean like ol’ Sarah “I want your Guns!” Brady and her very own human ‘pull toy,” James?

2. avatar Gatha58 says:

I sympathize with Gabby for all she has gone through and I understand her and her husband wanting to do something to prevent it happening to someone else. Unfortunately their energy is directed in the wrong area. They should be working on ways to keep guns out of the hands of people that have significant mental health issues that make them dangerous. Or, better yet, keep those people away from the rest of us. But that is far more difficult than the task of eroding gun rights and probably does not fit in with the strategy of those that are supplying them with money and political backing.

11. avatar cz82mak says:

Good parrot: “commonsense solutions”
    Give her a cracker.

1. avatar Thomas Paine says:

looks like common sense is now a compound word. its like a special meaning. worthless, but special.

1. avatar roscoe says:

Extremist Dems are masters at formulating and re-formulating words and phrases to hide their true intentions and deflect criticism of their misrepresentations and rhetoric.

Expect to continue to see it more and often; its one of their stocks in trade. How else could they deflect criticism and resistance to something that is otherwise immoral or illegal.

2. avatar crndl says:

+1 🙂

12. avatar anonymous says:

While her husband Mark Kelly is a lying hypocritcal sack o’ shit, I think the gun-owner community “jumped the gun” (pun intended) and over-reacted on the pictures of Ms. Giffords. The AR and AK rifles in the two pictures were not hers, but police and military PR photos. Charges of “hypocrisy” were unwarranted.

That being said, this part makes no sense and is pure bull shit:

> “I’m working to bring people together to support gun rights”

That is as much of a non sequitur as

* “I believe in protecting a woman’s right to choose. I have called on Congress to require waiting periods and ultrasound before abortion…”

* “I believe in protecting our First Amendment rights. I have called on Congress to regulate bloggers to prevent hate speech…”

* “I believe in protecting the rights of gays. I have called on Congress to strengthen the Defense of Marriage Act…”

* “I believe in protecting our right to worship freely. I have called on Congress to pass laws challenging the tax exempt status of churches who argue against science…”

(examples blatantly stolen from Michael Z. Williamson).

1. avatar Nor'Easter says:

Nice stealin’ – all very good examples.

13. avatar JohnnyNRA says:

Thousands MIA in classified Second American Revolution
    The Second American Revolution is secretly being fought – deep underground. The battles are between United States Patriots of the United States military and anti-American agents of the Federal Reserve controlled United States government. U.S. soldiers are battling the CIA, Xe (BLackwater) mercenaries, FEMA and DHS agents and foreign troops (brought into the United States through the Denver International Airport DUMB).

Really didn’t think it’s gone hot yet.

1. avatar TacticalDad says:

Don’t for the air force, they will be providing UAV support using this new system called Skynet. Coming online any day now.

14. avatar Jeh says:

Well yea she’s a hypocrite, she just wants to pretend to hate so she can feel more “elite”. Its like some vegetarians, they love meat, but they’ll forsake everything to feel better then you. However, when your a third rate politician whose mostly known for getting nicked by a bullet, I suppose anything for attention works.

1. avatar roscoe says:

Sorry Jeh;
      I don’t buy all that; she’s being used now and may be simply acquiescing and going along. I don’t buy the idea that Gabby is taking the lead at all on the anti gun activity surrounding her.

Her husband and the anti 2A Dems are another story, though.

15. avatar Shire-man says:

Like Lt Dan her misfortune has made her bitter and self hating.

Add to that her husbands hypocrisy, Bloombergs endless money dumping and the fact that her fight is antithetical to liberty and she has essentially become a monster.

She was hurt now she seeks to hurt everyone else.

Such a shame. The proliferation of misery wont make you feel any better.

16. avatar minarchist says:

Why is her target a kid wearing a hat from Cal Berkeley? Wouldn’t that be putting another democrat in her sights?

1. avatar Haiku Guy says:

Hey, I went to Cal!
      I’m not a filthy hippie!
      (Well, not anymore!)

1. avatar angryAZ says:

I was just about to mention how the target was wearing a Cal hat…….. cause they were out of turbans??

1. avatar JC79 says:

It is probably because the targets with pregnant women, kids, and uncle George Jones were not out yet.

2. avatar seek1234 says:

It’s because she’s promoting school shootings in gun free zone. duh.

17. avatar uncommon_sense says:

Did anyone notice how she is pointing the barrel of the AR-15 at the legs/feet of the man in camouflage in the top photo? At least she didn’t have her finger on the trigger.

18. avatar Haiku Guy says:

She just wants to “regulate” guns more strictly…

Proposed Regulation: “Lots and lots of guns for Gabby and Mark. No guns for you.”

19. avatar Henry Bowman says:

She’s no hypocrite. As she said, she’s always advocated that police, military, and federal agents should have the firepower they deserve to oppress and destroy undesireables.

20. avatar Thomas Paine says:

did we identify the guy in the target?

1. avatar mountocean says:

Is it the camo dude’s son? The “No hesitation” targets were the cop/designer’s family.

21. avatar Randy Drescher says:

Hey, she’s our friend, lets work together, Oh yeah I’m going with that. We give up everything past a .22 short(single shot) & that will make a nice “compromise”. Again, we get the snow job about some of the worlds most powerfull weapons, railroad destructors as it were. I gotta believe some are waking up to their BS, Randy

22. avatar Skyler says:

Clearly, Ms. Giffords was all in favor of owning AR-15’s until she lost her brain. It would seem that being brainless is a key part of being in favor of gun control. Witness Mr. Brady as well.

23. avatar Alan says:

Well we know who reads TTAG. Any chance we could get a picture of Mark Kelly in the Reads TTAG picture?

24. avatar Jason says:

So a hypocrite politician and a cop dressed like a soldier. Very scary.

25. avatar Tom says:

Never cut them slack!
    Never. Are they giving us any? Hit back twice as hard!!!

26. avatar KCK says:

Photo #2
    Eyes & ears????
    AK Commie gun???
    One more thing.
    Photo’s that a “conservative blog dug up”?
    I assume TTAG, I did not know that “shall not be infringed” had a right or left leaning. It just is!

1. avatar mountocean says:

I was looking at that, too. It looks like she has some foamies hanging aound her neck (blue cord). From her position I hope this is a dry run where the soldier can correct her form before they actually move to the fireing line.

27. avatar DrVino says:

Pretty articulate writing for a woman who had a bullet rampage through her left hemisphere – you know, the one where language centers are located (See: any video of her trying to talk or even READ out loud).

I’m gonna be a dick here and offer my clinically-based skepticism that Giffords may not remember, know how she feels or be able to clearly articulate opinions on ANYTHING.

28. avatar speedracer5050 says:

While I have some small iota of pity for her being shot(having been shot myself) cause it hurts like hell, I have no pity on her or her husband for anything else after her being shot.
    But like all of us, Veterans,Police Officers, Firefighters, EMT’s, etc, they too Volunteered for their jobs, and thus, again like us, must deal with the associated risks and liabilities thereof. They do not deserve anymore or any less than what we have and get as a result of our particular jobs, until such time as they show, as we do, they are either unfit and/or undeserving of any such rewards or other benefits. In my honest opinion Gabby Giffords and Mark Kelly both have now shown they are truly undeserving of Any Rewards and/or pity. Had she spoken up and recused herself from this fight or said that she does not believe that more restrictive gun control laws will work then mayhaps she would deserve some such accolade. As for now, where they stand, they deserve no more protections and honestly a hell of a lot less respect than what any of us would have gotten or have gotten for our Voluntary Service!!

1. avatar Rightontheleftcoast says:

SR, I thank and honor you for your service.
      I also thank and honor Mark Kelly and Gabby Gifford for theirs.

If CAPT Kelly were willing to listen to advice from another vet,
      here’s what I would say-

Sir, with the greatest respect, perhaps its time for you to step back and retire from the public view, for in spite of your idealism and understandable personal involvement in the issue, the simple fact is you and your honor are being mis-used by the anti-gunners.

2. avatar Mr aNINNYmouse says:

She cannot speak coherently, let alone probably think clearly. That is why Mark does both for her….

29. avatar Mark Horning says:

I don’t think Giffords is a hypocrite. I think she’s a poor brain-dammed lady who is being taken advantage of.

When you listen to her speak there is clearly not a lot of “there” left up there.

Once a social parasite, always a social parasite. The only difference is that Bloomberg and the Joyce Foundation are now paying the bills. Tell us, Gaby — how does Bloomie’s @ss taste?

31. avatar Lance says:

Shows her family are all hypocrites.

32. avatar dann says:

“My work as Southern Arizona’s Congresswoman frequently put me in close contact with some of the world’s most powerful and deadly weapons”

yes they’re call politicians…

33. avatar Nazgul says:

Usually I think that women with AK rifles are hot.

34. avatar Jim Farmer says:

If Gabby Giffords really wants to get a kick out of shooting perhaps she should
    try firing an old 10 gauge Parker, Remington, or L.C. Smith double-barrel
    shotgun. That indeed is a blast from America’s late 19th century Western
    frontier and rural past. I have nothing against her personally. Again, I’m sorry
    for what happened via a depraved evil immoral gunman hellbent on destruction
    and mass murder! The perp, not the gun, is to blame!

35. avatar Gabe says:

in the second picture, she need to lean forward otherwise she’ll end up on her ass, which isn’t a completely bad thing