Team FNH USA: Breaking In the New Guns

Right now (as this video posts) I’m at my first local 3-gun competition running my new FNH USA-issued guns for the first time in competition. In preparation, I spent Thursday morning on the range practicing to get myself used to the new setup. I’ll have a full report for you on Monday morning.

comments

1. avatar Quantum Zen says:

Nice video, Nick! Thanks for allowing us to vicariously live through you!

That FNS-9 sure looks sweet…. Noticed in the video that your support hand was awfully close to that reciprocating charging handle on the SCAR. Are you having to change your posture any or be extra mindful not to get bit?

2. avatar Aharon says:

Funny, that dude looks like Nick! 😉 FNH makes great quality, and good looking guns at least the shottie was good looking. FNH rules over Glocks in quality except in matters of those two smoking-hot girls who shoot for Team Glock. No offense Nick.

3. avatar Leo338 says:

The SCAR is one ugly looking rifle IMO. I also can’t stand that charging handle. Thankfully I was able to try one out prior to making a purchase. A purchase I would have regretted. I am not saying it sucks in anyway, just isn’t for me. So you fanboys calm down, no need to get your panties in a bunch.

1. avatar Paul T. McCain says:

Cool story, bro. Thanks for your expertise.

Ever hear of a rifle called a AK-47? M1 Garand? M14?

They all have reciprocating charging handles.

Only a guy with little experience with firearms would post what you did.

1. avatar Leo338 says:

NO I never heard of those rifles. Can you please tell me more about them? Wow, you along with millions of other people know that they have a reciprocating charging handles. I used to own an AK and I can’t believe I didn’t know this. I bet you feel like the smartest guy on the Internet. Is it due to age? I assume you’re pretty old having that unfortunate receding hairline. John Browning has nothing on you. Speaking of John Browning and reciprocating charging handles, you forgot to mention the Remington 1100, which happens to use a design of his. There are plenty of others you forgot to mention but I am sure you know that being the expert you are and all.

Also, I wasn’t aware one has to love reciprocating charging handles in order to be experienced with firearms. Thanks for that information. Do you not understand the concept of an opinion? I was not offering advice or a review of the weapon. I still say it’s ugly and I still don’t like the charging handle and thats IMO, get over it. Thanks for your unwanted expertise.

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

Why are you being a dick? I think his point was that you could have said “it’s not for me” without dropping all the fanboy panties comments.

2. avatar Leo338 says:

Then why didn’t he say it that way? I could have respected a comment like that and would have apologized.

4. avatar Robb says:

The most important question: Where’d you get the ammo?! FN must supply it is the only answer I can come up with.

P.S.
    Please, for the love of all that is holy, get rid of the GD, Captcha crap for posting comments! There has to be a better way.

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

Unless you habitually delete cookies, you should only have to do the CAPTCHA once per machine.

5. avatar g says:

E-N-V-Y. Looks like a great new set of FNH hardware, Nick! Though your FNS didn’t get as much as video love as that sexy SCAR or the shottie.

Are those just stock sights on the FNS-9? Do the 3 gun competition rules allow you to change them?

6. avatar Jim R says:

I’m still torn on what rifle to purchase. This video did not make that decision any easier.

Thanks a lot.

7. avatar SentMKG says:

Hey nick I am in San Antonio like you. If you got a afternoon to kill one day for shooting let me know. Always looking to learn and practice with other shooters!

8. avatar thedonn007 says:

I want a SCAR very badly. I have considered selling all of my ARs to fund a SCAR 16s and 17s a few times now.

9. avatar Ben says:

So is there a particular reason you do not like using the rear sight on that shotgun? Or is there something I’m missing?

10. avatar Koop says:

I think I’d rather go with a FNAR than a SCAR, if I was in your position. Do you think they’d let you switch?

11. avatar Jim Barrett says:

Nick, what sort of rig are you using to film yourself? When you shot the SCAR, I assumed that you had the camera mounted on the rail near the muzzle, but you could not have done that with the pistol.

1. avatar Nick Leghorn says:

Strikemark makes a picatinny adapter for GoPro cameras. its a cantilever mount, so the camera is perpendicular to the gun, but it makes some awesome videos.

Unfortunately, it got stuck on the FNS-9 and had to be dremmeled off. So I’ll be needing a new one. Also why there isn’t much handgun shooting on the video…

12. avatar Jim Barrett says:

The charging handle on the SCAR seems a bit aggressive. I have shot my .Garand, M1A, and AK, but those handles seem to be higher up and out of the way. Is there any danger that a hand could interfere with the handle on SCAR?

1. avatar paultmccain says:

The charging handle will “interfere” with your hand, not the other way around. The SCAR 17’s next iteration will not have a reciprocating charging handle, according to the reports I’ve read.

There is no problem with them, though. In fact, it makes access to the chamber area easier than the AR platform, faster too, in my opinion. Also, you are able easily to make sure the round is seated without having to add the goofy gizmo they stuck on to the AR platform after it had problems.

13. avatar Tyler Kee says:

This video was some of your best work