Even Shotguns Use AR-15s for Self Defense

From the ‘truth is stranger than fiction’ files comes this story out of Independence, Oregon, where a stolen shotgun apparently pulled the trigger of a stolen AR-15 and killed the man who had just stolen both firearms. The accused shotgun did not have an enlarged tactical charging handle like this one. If it had, the Dearly Departed would probably have lived to steal another day. From koinlocal6.com . . .

…Detectives say that 19 year-old Genaro Hernandez Mendoza of West Salem was going to visit family who lived on the farm when he entered and burglarized a home on Independence Highway.

Deputies say Mendoza took several items and fled from the home on foot. He returned to the farm and placed the stolen items behind a barn. They say he then stole a pickup truck belonging to the farm and returned to the home he burglarized stealing more items and a shotgun and AR-15 rifle.

Det. Williams with the Polk County Sheriff’s Department tells KOIN 6 News that they believe a piece of the shotgun was caught in the trigger area of the AR-15. While crossing the field the truck hit a bump causing the weapon to fire once striking and killing Mendoza.

Farm workers found the truck and Mendoza Sunday morning with the engine still running and the truck in drive.

Polk County Sheriff Bob Wolfe added that they would be reviewing the evidence to determine if anyone assisted Mendoza with the Burglary.

The report doesn’t specify that the shotgun’s bolt handle caught the AR’s trigger, but it’s the only part of a shotgun that conveniently fits inside the trigger guard. (A shotgun muzzle might fit, but not while the AR is upright.) This is possibly the first time that an unattended firearm used another firearm to kill a human being.

No word on whether Mr. Mendoza’s next of kin will sue the shotgun for wrongful death, its owners for negligence, or both.

comments

1. avatar William says:

No harm in a little burglary on the way home to Mom and Pop, right? He was acquiring gifts for them.

But that HEADLINE! It’s confusing. Stolen shotgun triggers? REALLY?

1. avatar Rick says:

Unsecured tool boxes will beat you to death in a roll over vehicle accident

2. avatar Matt P says:

Guns don’t kill people, only people kill people! (with a noteworthy exception…)

3. avatar mountocean says:

So instead of “backup clamp” mounting a pistol to your rifle, You should mount a rifle to your shotgun. That way if you get go down the shotgun can keep fighting with the rifle, it might even drag your ass to cover.

4. avatar Ross says:

Outstanding, happy ending there.

1. avatar Soccerchainsaw says:

Well a happy ending would have been that Mendoza (the thief) never entered into a life of crime but instead became a well-adjusted contributing member of society but that’s just too Disneyesque I suppose. Still, we can dream….

1. avatar T-DOG says:

You know he was good kid and was just starting to turn his life around.

1. avatar Barstow Cowboy says:

I’ve heard some talk on the internet that he was in fact an aspiring rapper who’d just recently turned his life around and was trying to set a positive example for the youth of his community.

2. avatar DickG says:

Darwin hits the mark. Again!

5. avatar Jake F. says:

It could have been a sling attachment point that hung the trigger.

6. avatar JWhite says:

Crap… Just what we didn’t need… Guns with guns, killing people.

1. avatar LC Judas says:

That just made my laugh for the day.

7. avatar DisThunder says:

Well, that’s all the proof I need that these inanimate objects aren’t inherently evil- first chance that AR got, it shot the bad guy!

8. avatar Ing says:

See, guns DO kill people.

1. avatar mymc says:

I see what you did there.

2. avatar Johnny says:

This just strengthens the case for disarmament. Even guns are killing poor innocent people with AR-15s. There’s no stopping these machines designed so that even inanimate objects can murder people!

9. avatar m11_9 says:

Well that’s the end of the “guns don’t kill people” argument. They may not pull their own triggers, but pull stunts like this if given the chance.

Be careful in those gun safes out there.

1. avatar Barstow Cowboy says:

Has anyone bothered to start an internet conspiracy theory in motion that this was a false flag operation staged by the New World Order the point of which was to suck the wind out of conventional wisdom that says that guns don’t kill people and aren’t inherently dangerous? What’s that, I just started it all on my own? Well then, you heard it here first.

10. avatar Alex Peterson says:

It was easy for the gun to shoot Mr. Mendoza, because they didn’t know each other. However, had the gun and Mr. Mendoza known each other, and had Mr. Mendoza been raping the gun, it would of been difficult for the gun to make the decision to take the life of the rapist. It’s tough to shoot someone you care about, even if they’re raping you.

Sincerely,

Zerlina Maxwell

1. avatar Brian says:

When in doubt, just urinate, vomit and claim to be pregnant or have AIDS. Then you don’t need to shoot them.

11. avatar Brian S says:

can’t help but wonder about this guy’s immigration status

1. avatar Shenandoah says:

I didn’t wanna be the one to say it…

1. avatar Barstow Cowboy says:

Yeah, being so close to Canada, you’ve kinda got to wonder if this wasn’t some Canuck run amok.

2. avatar elnonio says:

Yeah, Mendoza. With a name like that, he just has to be illegal. Now, with a Seamus Rourke or Lachlan McKenzie, we wouldn’t even be having this conversation.

Point is, plenty of illegals do hard work that we can’t get good ol’ Americans to do and pay their taxes too (yeah, I know, amazing), and plenty of natural born citizens go on to lead a life of crime and don’t pay their taxes (remember Capone and what did him in?)

In other words, get over this red herring.

1. avatar fled says:

Were family working on a farm or did they own said farm? If they owned the farm then how could he have “stolen” a truck the family owned? Article said he was visiting family on “the farm” who’s farm?

3. avatar DickG says:

It no longer matters. It’s a moot point.
      Since the government can’t keep track of the number of illegals, when you subtract one, the number is still somewhere around ??,???,??? give or take 1.

12. avatar NWGlocker says:

This isn’t a DGU– gun protecting itself from abuse?

13. avatar jwm says:

Damn! Somebody dumped a whole gallon of chlorine in the shallow end of the gene pool. How did somebody that stupid live long enough to learn how to drive?

14. avatar Captain Catsup says:

Darwin award winner for this year is now a shoe in! Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

15. avatar Sakiri says:

See? Even shotguns use AR-15s for self defense.

1. avatar Robert Farago says:

I am so stealing that for the headline.

1. avatar Steve in MA says:

what was the original?

2. avatar mymc says:

Love it!

16. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

I should point out to people here at TTAG to NEVER (yes, I’m standing on an upturned 5 gal bucket and shouting at y’all), NEVER store loaded long arms in a safe, especially when you have bolt guns mixed into your collection.

More than once, I’ve pulled (or tried to pry) a long gun out of my safe, only to have the trigger bumped by a bolt rifle neighbor. Occasionally, when the long arm on which I’m tugging was put away with the action cocked, I hear the trigger snap. If it had been loaded, I would have been one of your headlines.

Just a little tip for when folks have lots of iron in your safes.

17. avatar In Memphis says:

Im glad I didnt take Bidens advice and buy a shotgun, my AR might have gone off.

1. avatar Anon in CT says:

No, you’re not listening.

First, you buy a shotgun for self-defence.

Then you loan the shotgun some money and its goes and buys an AR-15 for its own self-defense.

1. avatar In Memphis says:

Holy crap! If I had known that I could have saved a lot of money. Provided I was paid back promptly.

18. avatar Mark N. says:

This is an even better story than the Mass. police dog using a crime gun to shoot at an occupied house. http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/04/17182916-police-dog-searching-for-handgun-accidentally-pulls-trigger?lite

19. avatar Sammy says:

Maybe Joe’s advise should have been “Get your shotgun an AR”

20. avatar SpeleoFool says:

Someone tell Pierce Morgan that the reason I need an AR-15 is to give it to the shotgun Joe Biden told me to buy. Home security problem solved; time to go watch some TV….

21. avatar Patrick says:

If the shotgun had a background check it likely would have been denied. Was it even 18 years old?

22. avatar Human Being says:

Obvious frame-up job. Everyone knows that shotguns kill more people than ARs, but NooOOOOooo – the “hunting” gun just points a finger at the evil Black Rifle and it gets the blame.

23. avatar Soccerchainsaw says:

Tonight on the 11 o’clock news: “A” gun doesn’t kill people (people kill people of course), but a critical mass of guns do kill people. In this breaking news story, researcher Mendoza determined that the critical mass of guns is the number 2. Sadly, the scientist died as a result of his research.

24. avatar Aharon says:

“While crossing the field the truck hit a bump causing the weapon to fire once striking and killing Mendoza.”

Its the fault of those damx potholes. Seems to me that another culprit in the poor innocent boy’s murder (he was after all turning his life around) was the lack of maintenance in Oregon’s roads. I can tell you stories from just last weekend with seeing rocks, big enough to halt an SUV, laying in the middle of Oregon’s roads. If Oregon’s government wasn’t giving so much money to care for illegal aliens and instead repaired the roads in this state then Genaro Hernandez Mendoza might still be alive. Oh’, wait a minute…

That’s why I keep my AR unloaded and away from my shotgun. Those pump action ba$tards are sneaky. And don’t get me started on over-and-unders.

26. avatar Bobs yer uncle.. says:

Poetic Justice. Gotta love it – one less loser on the planet.

27. avatar rightontheleftcoast says:

the FUDD gun dun it.

28. avatar pat says:

So, even a shotgun would use an AR for self defense, proving ‘double barrel’ Biden even more wrong.

29. avatar Loïc says:

It seems that a shotgun has a better aim than a NYPD Cop…

30. avatar Leo Atrox says:

Huh … I guess guns CAN kill people. Crap. Now I agree with Feinstein on something. Except I disagree with her about which guns kill. Apparently, shotguns kill. AR15’s are still just the tool of the trade. BAN SHOTGUNS! They have no sporting purpose! (Except for all the sports they are used for.)

31. avatar AJ says:

So the Brady bunch was right – guns DO kill people? Crap. Guess I have ta go turn in all my guns now, before my shotgun shoots me with my AR. They’re right next to each other in the safe.

32. avatar My Name Is Bob says:

I gotta say he got exactly what he deserved, kinda funny in a morbid sorta way.

33. avatar Don Russell says:

most likely, somebody shot him and this is the cover story. cause he was hit from behind