Gun Buybacks Exposed. Finally.

We’ve been saying it since the site began: gun buybacks do nothing to reduce crime and everything to waste time and taxpayer’s money. (Note: even when companies foot the bill for gun buybacks the public pays the police to administer them.) This is the first TV report I’ve seen that calls gun buybacks what they are: security theater. As such, it is welcome. Here’s hoping iTeams across the country take their cue from Tampa. And that I get a call from Elin Grindemyr. Still, the age of miracles is not yet passed (and the phone line is open). Make the jump for another TV report that looks at a Washington state gun buyback and asks the obvious question: WTF? . . .

About Robert Farago

46 Responses to Gun Buybacks Exposed. Finally.

1. avatarSplashman says:

And that my daughter gets a unicorn for her birthday.

2. avatarJan says:

Hopefully the public will finally realize what we here have known all along. Now if we can just break the false security of gun control.

3. avatarAPBTFan says:

I’m sure the general public sees these buybacks for exactly what they are – quick cash. So many of what they bring are either rusted up pieces of crap or the type of firearm criminals don’t even want. What self-respecting street hood wants a single-shot anything? “Economic Stimulus” is the most appropriate label for these shenanigans.

4. avatarLance says:

Some fair reporting give them a pat thanks better than the total propaganda I get on local news here.

• avatarmountocean says:

Fair reporting is entirely virtuous, I agree.
      But how about the FLARE reporting when the Indian (subcontinent) anchor came up for the double tap, only to scoff at the quantity of BB guns they bought back I wanted to stand up and cheer.

5. avatarGoldenboy says:

If it saves just one child from shooting his eye out with a BB gun, it was worth it.

• avatarCA_Chris says:

Maybe our overpopulated world doesn’t need kids that are dumb and unsupervised enough to shoot an eye out. Yes, of course I wouldn’t say that if it were my kid, but then again my kid would know have a more responsible parent…

6. avatarDaniel Silverman says:

Well it is about time!
    Good to see some people are starting to get it.

7. avatarNick says:

So many works of art being senselessly destroyed.

• avatarAPBTFan says:

Much agreed. Especially the old heirlooms from gramps or great gramps that have sat in the closet for so many years.

• avatarGriff says:

How great would it be to set up a table in the same parking lot with a sign that says ‘I’ll pay you more than they will!’?
      A couple of stacks of twenties and you could take home quite a few new toys.

8. avatarLogan P says:

We’ll see how many deaf ears this falls on, and how many others forget these facts inside a week or less.

9. avatarCameron S. says:

Gun Buyback: When one gets their firearm out of pawn.

That’s the only definition that should exist.

10. avatarTangledThorns says:

I heard about people being at the front of a buy back line to buy the guns that have real value. Probably a good way to flip a gun on gun broker or even find some hard to find ammo.

11. avatarPascal says:

I know a lot of comments are making fun and talking about BB guns, but did you guys here the part of the guns turned in that where stolen or used in a crime. These card blanc immunity programs do allow some to skirt the law. While most crooks will probably just find a deep lake or some other way to get rid of guns used in a crime, we seem to favor allowing criminals get away if we can save just one life. So, while we maybe possible through some magical mystical way saved one life, we allow the crooks back on the street to kill many more — how awesome is that!

12. avatarRalph says:

OMG, if I hear the phrase “if it saves only one child’s life” again, I’m going to take a sledgehammer to every fountain in the world and smash every statue of a kid taking a leak until there’s nothing left but dust and a bunch of tiny little marble winkies.

If it saves only one child’s life, ban cars.

If it saves only one child’s life, ban swimming pools.

If it saves only one child’s life, ban all drain cleaners.

If it saves only one child’s life, ban public schools.

But keep your f^cking hands off my f^cking guns you f^cking pederast sc^mbags.

Harsh letter to follow.

13. avatarBlehtastic says:

When something really is just a useless heap of rust, what is the non-buyback option? Do recycling centers take guns? I suppose most wouldn’t know the difference if you disassembled them first.

14. avatareugene says:

gun buy backs makes me want to check junk yards for various crap and see if i can get them for 5 bucks and resell them to the city.

15. avatarSGC says:

In order to “buy something back” aka: “buyback” you have to have OWNED it in the first place…? How is this a “buyback” anyway?

Just feel good propaganda for the gun grabbers…

• avatarRopingdown says:

Exactly. And I don’t know about you, but the only time I ever tried to buy back a gun I should never have sold, the guy said “nope.”

• avatarAlphaGeek says:

The implications of their use of the term “buyback” have always bugged me. It implies that you get your guns through the good graces of the state, and it is the state that reclaims them when your lease expires.

16. avatarAharon says:

Robert, Elin Grindemyr isn’t your type. She would want to physically ravish you all night long while you being the proper old fashioned gentleman that you are would be seeking to build a relationship based on an emotional and intellectual connection with shared values and mutual respect.

• avatarAlphaGeek says:

I heroically and selflessly volunteer to go in RF’s place so that he may never experience the disappointment of mismatched expectations.

Also, I would appreciate it if everyone who reads this would carefully avoid mentioning my heroic sacrifice to my wife.

• avatarAharon says:

You are our California Stunt Man and we appreciate your volunteering to do the dangerous dirty work on behalf of Robert. BTW, did you get my comment to you that there is a Winchester 94 just like mine on ArmsList dot com for sale?

• avatarAlphaGeek says:

Yep. Did you see my follow-up comment that you were teasing me with a want-to-buy ad instead of a for-sale ad? :)

• avatarAlphaGeek says:

And yes, it would be dirty, morally unclean work, if I played my cards right.

• avatarAharon says:

To AlphaGeek,

No, I didn’t catch your reply. The ad I saw was for a “for sale” ad not a want to buy. Some guy out east had one for sale.

17. avatarJeh says:

Im sure everyone who gave away their gun is shocked and appalled NOTHING has changed. “Giving away my gun didn’t stop the bad guys from wanting to be bad?!?!” no really? Idiots. What happened to common sense and logic, nobody seems to have this anymore.

18. avatarRandy Drescher says:

Jeez, I gotta get my eyes checked, it looked like a tub of wooden legs, Randy

19. avatarschizuki says:

It’s not supposed to reduce crime. It’s a secular sacramental rite.

20. avatarSlappy says:

I see a Mini-14 in the trash can, what a waste! Not my first choice in a semi-auto rifle, but a good back-up to your AR.

21. avatarUncle Fester says:

If the gun buyback results in someone turning in a “stolen” weapon, do the police return it to the lawful owner?

I think not.