Double Barrel Biden on Armed Self-Defense: Fire Your Shotgun Through Your Door

Joe Biden shows us how it's done (courtesy businessinsider.com)

Joe “Double Barrel” Biden had a sit down with the editors of Field and Stream. Hot on the heels of his self-defense tip to Parents magazine readers—respond to a home invasion by stepping outside and firing two warning shots from a double barreled shotgun—the Obama administration’s front man on civilian disarmament offered more unconventional advice to armed Americans facing a deadly threat inside their home . . .

F&S: What about the other uses, for self-defense and target practice?

BIDEN: Well, the way in which we measure it is—I think most scholars would say—is that as long as you have a weapon sufficient to be able to provide your self-defense.

I did one of these town-hall meetings on the Internet and one guy said, “Well, what happens when the end days come? What happens when there’s the earthquake? I live in California, and I have to protect myself.”

I said, “Well, you know, my shotgun will do better for you than your AR-15, because you want to keep someone away from your house, just fire the shotgun through the door.”

comments

1. avatar pk in AZ says:

Are there any pictures available of this asshat actually handling a firearm?

Does he even know the 4 rules of firearm safety?

(Not going to hold my breath waiting!)

1. avatar scottlac says:

The secret service doesn’t let him handle firearms. They don’t want the guard outside his door to get shot.

1. avatar Taco Ninja says:

I literally laughed out loud at that comment!!! Thank you!

2. avatar Paul says:

In the dick-shun-airy, under STUPID LIB RETARD LIEING A$$ACHE DUMD $HIT, it says and I quote, “…SEE HIM…”!

3. avatar Whiter Walt says:

“just fire the shotgun through the door”
      Well, we know for sure he doesn’t know at least one of the rules of firearms safety.
      And that’s enough to disqualify him from being able to lecture the rest of us on the matter.

4. avatar Old Ben turning in grave says:

He gets a revolver, with one round. He has the keep the round in his pocket.

1. avatar Mark says:

Biden would be better off with one of those inert, plastic “blue guns”.

2. avatar Herb says:

Memo to Joe Plugs: “Stupidville just called, they want you to pose for the town statue.”

1. avatar Mr Pierogie says:

Or how about this one: Hey Joe, the jerk store called, they’re running out of YOU!

1. avatar mountocean says:

Well I had sex with your wife!
        -George Castanza

3. avatar NS says:

this guy is a goldmine

4. avatar thatoneguy says:

I fire my mossy at my front door randomly throughout the day. I find it keeps the door to door carpet cleaners away. Unfortunately it also left me with a lack of Girl Scout cookies this year.

1. avatar Some Guy says:

Yeah, chucking a hand grenade from the balcony helps too, keeps the kids off the lawn.

2. avatar Matt in FL says:

You need to time it better. Done correctly, it could leave you with a whole bag of Girl Scout cookies.

Might have to wipe ’em off, though.

1. avatar jwm says:

Shame, Matt. Shame, shame, shame………Funny as hell. But no, shame, shame…….

5. avatar Ed says:

OOps, JB takes out pizza guy and completely destroys said door. Great stuff here from the VP.

6. avatar swampsniper says:

Is Biden really a lawyer? This is the 2nd time in recent history he has advised people to commit a felony.

1. avatar Soccerchainsaw says:

If he’s really saying these idiotic things I gotta wonder, is ol’ Joe suffering from some sort of deterorating dementia?

2. avatar Pascal says:

Even if he is a lawyer, he is not giving legal advise. His job is right now is to give false information so that the anti-gun crowd gets their way. Later he can deny everything and since it is not legal advice, what are you gonna due.

What is scary is anyone who takes his advice.

Really, I want Biden to run in 2016, it will be a chuckle a minute

1. avatar jerry says:

Careful what u wish for pal. With the quality of voters in the country, he could win. Remember, there are regulars on this site who voted for him and 4 more years of hope and change.

2. avatar Mark says:

I want Biden to run now… as far away from The United States as Possible and never come back.

3. avatar William says:

Not just “advise”; it’s arguable that he’s INCITING the commission of felonies. With most people, it would stick.

4. avatar RightontheLeftCoast says:

Heres an article questioning his neurological health, in re: past admissions of lying.

Some compassion may be in order for Joe: he lost his wife and a daughter in a car crash. He also has had surgery for an aneurism, so it makes sense that he doesn’t make much sense, sometimes.

7. avatar uncommon_sense says:

Umkay. Well let’s ask Trevor Snowden of Virginia Beach about that advice. Oh wait, we can’t because Trevor is in jail for shooting at armed criminals through the bedroom door of his home. (The Truth About Guns featured this story the other day here http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/02/daniel-zimmerman/va-man-arrested-for-following-double-barrel-bidens-armed-defense-advise/#more-205553.)

Someone remind me … whose side is Double Barrel Joe on again?

1. avatar Russ Bixby says:

Hopefully not. Having received a summons is not the same as having been arrested.

I’ve twice been stopped for “running” a red on a motorcycle, having sat through a couple cycles without any green facing my way. Once I was ticketed – a summons, in other words.

When I informed the Judge that I felt myself to be under no obligation to recognize the light’s authority when it wouldn’t recognize my existence, he had to concur.

This’ll likely go about the same way, with everyone just going through the motions. Still, it’s stupid.

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

“When I informed the Judge that I felt myself to be under no obligation to recognize the light’s authority when it wouldn’t recognize my existence…”

I’m glad that worked out for you. Assuming you said it that way, it seems like the kind of smart-ass comment that could bite you if you caught the judge on the wrong day.

2. avatar mountocean says:

Off topic: they make little magnets that activate the coils in the intersection and make the lights recognize you.

On topic: they should make really big magnets that keep all guns away from Joe Biden.

8. avatar travis m. says:

Firing blindly through a door? Isn’t that what Pistorius is in trouble for?

1. avatar Jeff says:

I was going to say the same thing. That is exactly what he says he did.

1. avatar Russ Bixby says:

Well, yeah, but it’s a little different when the neighbours heard a couple hours of loud argument before the shots, but he claims to have thought he was alone and presupposed her to be a burglar who’d come for his aftershave and loofa.

It’s only alright when you shoot through an exterior door at an unknown visitor.

9. avatar RKflorida says:

This just in!! The secret service has just taken action about Biden’s comments. They sold his limo and bought a short bus for him. Maybe he can wear a little padded blue helmet too.

10. avatar dom says:

Wow! This guy really disagrees with rule number 4.

11. avatar James says:

Anyone noticed there no pictures of Joe shooting skeet? But he doesn’t have to; Barack shoots enough for both of them.

This just in: Mossberg and Winchester have announced the “Joe Biden Through the Door” model.

1. avatar Mark says:

Let me guess, no projectile, just a big noise?

12. avatar Some Guy says:

I heard a rumor that this guy is Vice-President of the United States – can’t be true – can it?

13. avatar Pulatso says:

I’ll give him credit, randomly firing at your front door would keep people away.

14. avatar Gyufygy says:

BIDEN! STOP TALKING! It makes you look less stupid.

What did the poor door do to him, anyway?

1. avatar UnapologeticallyAmerican@yahoo.com says:

No keep talking…. You prove the point more and more that gun grabbers haven’t a clue what they are talking about

15. avatar James1000 says:

Is it me or does Joe look like Beeker from the muppets?

1. avatar In Memphis says:

At least Beeker was a scientist and actually qualified to tell people stuff

1. avatar James1000 says:

Beeker certainly made more sense.

16. avatar Shire-man says:

He’s a pod person, right? Just here on earth for shits and giggles? Running a big joke on all us simple humans?

If he becomes POTUS I could see him spending the entire 4 years rolling around on the floor laughing hysterically over how stupid these primitive earth creatures are.

17. avatar DaveL says:

Any time Joe Biden speaks on TV, they need to have a banner they can activate to the effect of “WARNING: Do not follow this advice. You could be killed or sent to prison.”

18. avatar Upstater says:

Maybe this is all just cover for the inevitable crony kickbacks to “Big Lumber” and the “Replacement Door Cartels”…Nah. Joe’s an idiot.

19. avatar In Memphis says:

Now they HAVE to let that man in VA go. He may not have stepped out on his balcony but he did fire through the door and stopped a home invasion.

20. avatar Greg says:

So by his advise, if we *THINK* there is a threat behind a door we should shoot at it. Wow. This can’t be serious.

1. avatar Russ Bixby says:

Gotta admit, people followin’ his advice’d get ridda alot o’ them pesky gun owners…

21. avatar Chas says:

I sent him an email yesterday and asked him to stop giving us self defense advice as he has no idea what he’s talking about and is making a complete ass out of himself.

On second thought, maybe it’s a good idea for him to do just that.

1. avatar Robert Farago says:

Yes. Yes it is.

22. avatar Harvey says:

Maybe he’s doing this so that legal gun owners will follow his advice and go to prison? Then he can point at them as an example of how gun owners are dangerous maniacs.

1. avatar In Memphis says:

Sad thing is, that makes sense. But if true, he is greatly misunderstanding the majority of gun owners

23. avatar TRP says:

We should all pray that nothing happens to our Supreme Leader O’ Blaber. Can you imagine this guy having control over our nukes? NO JOE, it’s not a doorbell!

1. avatar Rambeast says:

“Buttons aren’t toys!”

1. avatar Ben says:

hahahahaha, that made me laugh way harder than it should have.

24. avatar Shenandoah says:

Dick Cheney may be accurately described as an evil genius…but that still means he’s a genius. Biden…well genius has never been associated with his name.

1. avatar In Memphis says:

Cheney is certainly more qualified ti work a shotgun too, even if hes shooting someone in the face. At least he knows where his gun is pointing.

2. avatar Old Ben turning in grave says:

At the University of Delaware, a solid but unexceptional school, the was close to the bottle of his graduating class.

1. avatar mountocean says:

I was close to the BOTTLE of my graduating class, too. I turned out fine.

25. avatar Randy Drescher says:

Is he on crack? His advice is something out of a Daffy Duck cartoon. Whats next from smokin joe, be carefull going through a doorway so the burgler doesn’t tie the shotgun in a knot? He’s not that far from this. A person is not supposed to own a legal AR & use it safely, you are supposed to use a shotgun in a reckless & illegal manner though. I shouldn’t bitch, he’s gotta be helping our cause, Randy

1. avatar In Memphis says:

“I shouldn’t bitch, he’s gotta be helping our cause.”

Part of me hopes he will keep up with these comments for that reason. The other part worries that people will start taking him seriously.

1. avatar 16V says:

Some things are just too stupid to have been planned. But if you tease this out, it really could used against us.

“See honey, I did what gun safety Joe told me, not those whackos at the NRA. I sold my AR and bought a double-bbl shottie. Now we have a dead pizza delivery guy and I’m charged with a felony. Golly gee willikers, guns really are evil…”

26. avatar Don says:

I fire my shotgun at my door just to see who is there. That damned peeo hole is too small.

1. avatar Russ Bixby says:

I tried shot shells in my Tokarev, but the holes were no better than the original peep hole.

Please advise.

1. avatar Greg Camp says:

Biden’s advice: Keep shooting till you have enough holes.

2. avatar Rambeast says:

Slugs.

27. avatar flyboy says:

This is the advice coming from the second in command for the worst economy, worst governmental management of taxpayer money, worst business climate, housing crisis, expansion of government, expansion of welfare, on, and on, and on. So he wants to say that he’s an expert in home defense? I think not!

1. avatar In Memphis says:

He IS an expert on home defense! To be more specific, an expert at strengthening the need fore home defense.

28. avatar JP says:

Crazy Joe sez “Gedda double barrel shod gunn!” and “fire two blasts in the air”.

29. avatar إبليس says:

Hey Joe, where you goin’ with that gun in yo hand…

30. avatar Not Jimbo says:

Aside from being tactically stupid, aren’t warning shots legally questionable?

1. avatar Rambeast says:

“I missed with my first shot.”

31. avatar Chuck in IL says:

Buy a shotgun. Buy a shotgun.

1. avatar Ropingdown says:

Yes, but go for some capacity, because now security requires two shots off the balcony, then a few through the front door. If you’ve noticed the requirements growing like the Federal Code of Regulations, you’re on to something.

32. avatar CritZer0 says:

By means of a royal ‘we’, JB just declared himself a gun scholar… and THEN advised me to blindly shoot a shotgun through my front door as a means of self-defense…

I’m gonna have to agree with the short-bus-folks on this one.

And speaking of shooting through the door…Dallas unfortunatly lost a local musician to a combo of alcohol/prescription drug reaction and through-the-door blind head shot… http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carter_Albrecht
    Don’t know that I would have opened the door, but I probably wouldn’t have shot through it, either…at least, not until Prof. Biden instructed me to do so…

33. avatar Pantera Vazquez says:

Di-Fi going after guns-OLD HISTORY

Obama Playing footsie with the truth-EXPECTED

Seeing Joe-Bi consistently suffer foot in mouth-FRIGGIN’ PRICELESS

34. avatar JR LORENCZ says:

What is that, the Oscar Pistorius tactical defense technique?

35. avatar Ric H. says:

Is it possible that this guy is trying to cause a bunch of gun crimes to allow for even bigger incursions into gun rights?

Or is he just an idiot?

36. avatar Aharon says:

I suspect that old uncle Joe is seriously partially nuts. He goes beyond being an ignorant gun-grabbing agenda-driven elitist. Joe fits into the same camp as fruit-loop crazy John NcCain nuts.

37. avatar Aharon says:

I suspect that old uncle Joe is seriously partially nuts. He goes beyond being a gun-ignorant gun-grabbing agenda-driven elitist. Joe fits into the same camp as fruit-loop crazy John NcCain nuts.

1. avatar tdiinva says:

At least McCain has the excuse of an extended stay in the Hanoi Hilton Resort and Spa.

38. avatar Lance says:

Another reckless move that could send you to prison. Thats why they call him “Slow Joe Biden”

39. avatar Jim D says:

Be sure to keep spare doors on hand for just such times. Otherwise the crooks will crawl through the large gaping holes when you run to Home Depot. Thanks Joe, please keep ’em coming, you are killin me…

40. avatar Mr aNINNYmouse says:

Remember when #43 said stupid things?…..

41. avatar twency says:

Robert, whats your source for that quote? Is it from a print-only article? Is it from something available online?

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

RF should have included the link, but Google is hard, yo.

It’s the sixth question.

1. avatar mountocean says:

The whole interview is well worth reading (skimming). Nothing else as cringe worthy as shooting through doors, but lots of appeals to cops being outgunned and other guffaws about cartrige size making assault weapons More dangerous.

2. avatar tdiinva says:

If the cops armed with ARs are being outgunned then there must be a lot of bad guys out there running around with Garands and M-1As.

42. avatar Adam says:

“The VP is offering great advice and everyone should practice this outstanding home defense strategy.”

-Every Door Manufacturer in America

43. avatar Greg Camp says:

This is the man who is in charge of the executive branch’s push for civilian disarmament? My gods, perhaps I shouldn’t have asked for stupid opponents…

1. avatar mountocean says:

He’s in charge of the shell game to keep us occupied while the real thinkers tighten the noose around us.

As discussed in yesterday’s “How to Buy a Supressor” post:http://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/eAgendaViewRule?pubId=201210&RIN=1140-AA43

44. avatar E says:

That’s great Joe. I hope he realizes that somebody is likely to take his advice to heart and end up killing an innocent who they didn’t identify before pulling the trigger. It’s really just a matter of time. Then what?

45. avatar HAVE GUN says:

Joe

A gift that just keeps on giving.

46. avatar Doug says:

Great advice! Oscar Pistorius claims this was his line of thinking when he defended his home against a brutal and well armed invader by firing blindly through a door. It worked out well for him.

Maybe “tail gunner” should be re-named “door gunner”?

47. avatar Floyd D. Barber says:

Just when you think Joe couldn’t get any stupider, he proves you wrong.

48. avatar James says:

Exactly right, Adam. Crony capitalism at its worst: Joe Biden and the door makers/sellers of America.

49. avatar snipe4fun says:

Pistorius ought to get some consideration considering he did exactly what the VP advised (though he used a handgun instead of a double barrel shotgun).

50. avatar Derek says:

Does he not have like, a handler or manager or someone who can tell him to just STFU?

“… my shotgun will do better for you than your AR-15…”

Please, PLLEEEAAAASSEEE, elaborate on that. I want to here his reasoning for how his double barrel is better than an AR-15.

51. avatar Inkstain says:

Since Biden is part of of the executive branch, can a person who follows his advice and gets arrested claim entrapment?

52. avatar ready,fire,aim says:

I would give up a weeks pay to see the facial expression on that F&S interviewer when ole’ “shotgun joe” said “shoot thru the door”….priceless…god he’s an embarassment to this great nation of ours

53. avatar Jim D says:

Anybody notice ol shotgun Joe is sitting on the WRONG side of that desk in the F&S picture? Hahahahahaha, Joe

54. avatar mountocean says:

The air-shotgun VP is holding in that picture appears to have both a pistol grip and a vertical forward grip, assault double barrel shotgun.

55. avatar Caligula says:

If only George Zimmerman had fired through a door; he could use Crazy Joe’s advice as a part of his defense.