Christopher Dorner Dies in California Cabin Conflagration

Cop killer Christopher Dorner dies in cabin conflagration (courtesy cbsnews.com)

“The extraordinary manhunt for the former Los Angeles police officer suspected of three murders converged Tuesday on a mountain cabin where he was believed to have barricaded himself inside, engaged in a shootout that killed a deputy and then never emerged as the home went up in flames,” boston.com reports. CBS confirms that cop killer Christopher Dorner died in the conflagration. “The man believed to be Dorner never came out of the cabin, and a single shot was heard inside before the cabin was engulfed in flames,” a law enforcement official told The Associated Press.

comments

1. avatar إبليس says:

That’s a shame. I was hoping an armed granny would’ve killed him.

1. avatar In Memphis says:

Maybe she did. Maybe one of his earlier hostages killed him and the rest was staged because the aforementioned dosnt match the current political adgenda… you decide.

**INTENSE TIN FOIL HAT SARCASM OFF**

1. avatar LongBeach says:

That armed granny might still have a chance, according to the news conference I’m watching right now they haven’t yet found a body, much less ID’d Dorner.

2. Like we all didn’t know that would be the outcome. There was NO way, no matter what he did, that they were going to allow him to live. The innocents and neighborhoods they shot up in their zeal to kill him are proof of that.
    I’m not saying he did things right, or in any way justifying his actions … Just that it was preordained that they would kill him one way or the other … To me, the way they handled it is murder.

1. avatar Randy Drescher says:

Better Dorner than Joe citizen in a pick up, Randy

2. avatar Bob says:

Agreed. We will never know who or what caused the fire.

1. avatar NickS says:

Willey Pete “mistaken” for CS would be my guess.

2. avatar William says:

NEVER KNOW? “Burn him up”, “set it on fire”? THOSE are copspeak for “begin the negotiations”????

Take off the blinders. We KNOW what happened. Most here do.

3. avatar William says:

Raise your hand if you remember the LAPD’s siege/immolation of the Simbionese Liberation Army – who were STRAIGHT-UP an FBI front?

3. avatar dolemike says:

The movie “swordfish” comes to mind…

4. avatar Sam C says:

What is it with law enforcement and crazy people’s places burning down?

5. avatar Henry Bowman says:

A big ol’ fire with the ATF nowhere in sight? I don’t believe it.

1. avatar JoshinGA says:

Lol. You beat me to it.

6. avatar Conway Redding says:

Shades of the demise of several members of the Symbionese Liberation Army (remember them? the folks who kidnapped Patty Hearst and transformed her into a revolutionary?) back in 1974. As has already been posted, it was only a matter of time before Dorner went down. Strangely, though I by no means condone the means Dorner chose to redress his grievances, even though those grievances may have been legitimate, I am somewhat saddened by his exit. I am more saddened, however, by the deaths of the four he killed. I guess there are a bunch of LAPD officers who will rest a little easier tonight.

1. avatar Pencotron says:

My uncle was there pulling people out of the root cellar when tear gas was launched into the SLA hide house. He always said that the canisters could start a fire with no problem.

7. avatar hoppes#9 says:

Waco style assault? Way to degrade your credibility.

1. avatar Robert Farago says:

Headline amended.

2. avatar Liberty2Alpha says:

Tear gas went in, and the building burned down.

“Waco” was the first thought I had while watching.

1. avatar William says:

There were no children or religious zealots; in some minds, that’s no comparison to Waco. I am of a different turn of mind.

8. avatar Bob says:

Extreme alliteration in that title. Both consonants and vowels. (Try saying it three times fast.)

…grammar police leaving the room now…

9. avatar tdiinva says:

So much for the invincible guerrilla. Whitey Bolger hid out for 17 years. I will let you guys in on professional secret. If you don’t want to get caught do your thing and if you survive get off the grid and go to ground until things cool off. Then reinvent yourself. And most important make sure you set up your cover ID before you shoot up the neighborhood.

10. avatar Mike Taylor says:

I know that there is nothing that can be done to bring a determined suspect in alive when that suspect is hell bent on self destruction, but there are some serious questions left hanging right now. One of which is of course the validity of Dorner’s claims. Allegations of corruption and cover-ups are not to be taken lightly. Does the idea of being wronged offer justification for the murder of officers and citizens? No. How about the blue line closing ranks and essentially telling the entire world that when their own are in danger the stops will all be pulled. Yet when a father of three is killed for his five year old sedan in a grocery store parking lot, the case slowly makes it’s way to the unsolved bin without so much as a whisper from the media.
    Perhaps someone can rationalize the flaws in judgement that the department(s) have shown since the start of this circus, but I doubt it.
    My condolences go to those families that lost loved ones. Perhaps it should be for those who suffered that the rest of us demand accountability from our employees. We deserve that much.
    As for Los Angeles, que race riot in 3…2…

1. avatar AlphaGeek says:

Cue. The word is cue.

Sorry. Sometimes my inner English-usage pedant manages to slip off the muzzle and take control of the keyboard.

1. avatar Mike Taylor says:

Alpha…you are a terrible, terrible man. Keep it coming.

11. avatar Sammy says:

Funny how people react differently. It reminds me of OBL’s “burial at sea in the Islamic tradition”. Press chased away. I guess they couldn’t have cut power to the place. Then again maybe it had a generator. I wonder what will happen to the reopening of his complaint. Sad from start to finish.

12. avatar Aharon says:

Dorner peacefully surrendered to LE yesterday. The politicians and police brass ordered Dorner executed today so he could not be tried by a jury. LE put his body into the cabin setting it afire to create this fake news story. It is not know at this time if Michelle Obama will attend the funeral since Dorner was a known supporter of gun control.

1. avatar William says:

I don’t dismiss this out of hand, but we need a bit more of that. If ya got it, lay it on the table. Things come to light in odd ways, sometimes.

13. LAPD, at 1105 pm EDT says reports of a body found in the cabin is false. They say the cabin has not been entered because it’s still too hot.
    Doesn’t mean he’s not in there dead, just that they can’t determine yet. They are still maintaining protection details, are still on tactical alert, etc.

14. avatar JMS says:

Better keep an eye on this space. Police spokesman is saying right now that they have NOT confirmed a body inside of the cabin. It is still “too hot” to enter the cabin. They do not know if there is or is not a body in there.

I suppose, with a body burned too badly to visually identify, we’ll just have to take everyone’s word on who it is or isn’t.

1. avatar hoppes#9 says:

The military has collected and stored DNA for all service members for years. No more candidates for the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers. If that is Dorner, he’ll be positively identified.

1. avatar JMS says:

In no way does that change what I said. 😉

2. avatar LTC F says:

In theory (that is by law, which the military may or may not abide by) your DNA sample is supposed to be destroyed when you leave the military. I might be mistaken, but I thought Dorner was out of the Navy Reserve.

2. avatar William says:

It’s more like they’re trying to synchronize their stories, as they would watches. This is where the stories generally begin to fall apart, as humans, in general, are sloppy and awkward by nature in these affairs.

The falling apart has obviously already begun, and only FEAR and intimidation can stop the spin from careening out of Earth orbit.

As in: “Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive.”

15. avatar DrVino says:

CNN: LAPD’s Andrew Smith contradicts earlier report that a body was found in cabin that burned in hunt for Christoper Dorner.

16. avatar Matt in SD says:

Once again actual common sense (in journalism) is defeated by FUD. Until it isn’t. See what I did there?

17. avatar CZ-PA says:

If I put my heart and soul into a blog, I’d try to create some revenue too. By all means advertise.

But the frame at the bottom of the page is incredibly obnoxious. Like bad enough to make me avoid TTAG.

1. avatar Robert Farago says:

I agree. Asked the new ad supplier to ad an x to close it.

1. avatar Miserylovescompany says:

And despite your request there STILL isn’t an ‘x’ option, but an arrow for MORE adchoices! I realize the need to make money in order to cover costs, but better an obnoxious ad you can close somehow than a slightly less obnoxious ad you can’t close at all.

Tom

1. avatar duzt says:

google “ad-blocker”. download google chrome and ad-blocker. never see an ad on you-tube or anywhere else on the intwebs again. cheers

2. avatar Aaronvan says:

I was just thinking if I’m going to have to start using ad block again

3. avatar gloomhound says:

18. avatar RKBA says:

I didn’t know Janet Reno was in town….

19. avatar Adam says:

Agreed!! Bottom banner completely obnoxious!!!!!

20. avatar AlphaGeek says:

I honestly wish they’d taken him alive so that the full story could have come out at his trial. He would still be headed for life-without-parole, but if there’s any truth to his allegations, justice should be done on BOTH sides of the “thin blue line”.

1. avatar Aharon says:

It’s idealists like you who give politicians grey hairs.

1. avatar AlphaGeek says:

I aim to please.

2. avatar Brian S says:

god forbid they actually have to do some work

21. avatar Aharon says:

I just saw Dorner walking down the street with Elvis.

22. avatar peter says:

Seems a bit too convenient, especially since I hear they didn’t find a body yet. I’ve seen people in my own town escape SWAT raids, and they definitely weren’t armed, let alone ex-Marine Scout Snipers who were armed.

End half-joking paranoia

23. avatar Jamie in ND says:

Another anti-gun liberal POS bites the dust…good riddance MFer!

24. avatar Casey T says:

Wasn’t there hostages in the cabin? If so, the police murdered three people.

1. avatar AlphaGeek says:

Wrong cabin. This is a second cabin, unoccupied and separate from the one where he restrained the residents and stole their truck.

1. avatar Aharon says:

My inside sources tell me that the body LE found was Dorner’s body double.

25. avatar ensitu says:

Which of the Californians here voted for Biden?
    Realy dude, i is that bad?
    Your’ ll running double feeds!

1. avatar Leo338 says:

You must have played that drinking game tonight. The one where you take a drink every time Obama tells a lie. I bet people died from alcohol poisoning.

1. avatar AJ says:

Charred body =/= positive ID. Note how CBS yanked their “confirmation” already? It was NEVER stated by any LE agency that a body had been recovered or found until this morning (2/13). The prior “confirmation” was a classic case of the media making s**t up as they go along.

26. avatar Tim says:

Anyone else think this sounds an awful lot like part of the Stephen Hunter book “Point of Impact”?

27. avatar Mr. Carpenter says:

They havent confirmed him dead yet? Who was it in the cabin then?

28. avatar Mr. Carpenter says:

Could have been Piers Morgan in the cabin with a little red ball stuffed in his big mouth. ?/ Anyone else?

I heard that when Dorner popped his head out of the cabin, he saw his shadow. That that mean six more weeks of winter?