Caracal Held Hostage: Day 132

A couple of days ago, I got a sudden itch to take my Caracal C to the range. As Richard Nixon remarked when one of his advisors suggested killing a member of his enemies list, “We could do that but it would be wrong.” Late last year, Caracal told owners that their gun could discharge if dropped. A quick call to the Quick Sights folk uncovered some good news: 450 drop-safe guns have hit the States. They’re testing the World’s Most Sublime Trigger Pull™ (the trigger bar assembly created the negligent discharge potential) and discovering which models the Arabs sent their American cousins. When, dear Lord, when? “By mid-March,” the rep promised. As football commentator George Hamilton remarked during the Ireland v. Romania shootout at the 1990 European Championships, “The nation holds its breath.”

comments

1. avatar Sam C says:

Farago, didn’t your city ban all semi-automatic weapons recently?

1. avatar Robert Farago says:

It was a city ordinance which doesn’t have the force of law (thanks to state pre-emption)

2. avatar Russ Bixby says:

Aren’t most handguns semi-automatic…? >;{>

There’s nothing like great customer service;, and what RF got was nothing like great customer service.

1. avatar Mr. Pierogie says:

Well, their guns always work, except when they don’t.

3. avatar Thomas Paine says:

where’s the SC model?

4. avatar Jesse Nelson says:

Well being that I sold my last 9mm a year or two ago I suppose I could stand to have another. Was thinking about another Taurus 92/99, but one of those might be interesting.

5. avatar Russ Bixby says:

Hmmm…

My m1895 Nagant is drop safe, but not oven safe.

Russ

1. avatar Russ Bixby says:

Ke-reist!

Not drop safe is one thing, but one expects a gun to be fire safe.

I mean, an eighty pound columbiad after two hours at fifteen rounds an hour, maybe not, but this?!?

I’d not touch one of those things with a ten foot cliché. Hell, I’d not want to be on the same range as one.

Give me a TT-33 any day…

Russ

1. avatar jwm says:

It’s not like the tt-33 doesn’t have a safety……

1. avatar Russ Bixby says:

It’s just that it’s not known for doubling as a grenade with a three millisecond second timer.

2. avatar jwm says:

True, the tt-33 is a robust and reliable weapon. But extra care is needed in it’s handling.

When I had mine the iron curtain was still in place and ammo was hard to find and very expensive when you found it. Still, I trusted my commie gun more than my issue M16. I still have great affection for the com bloc guns.

3. avatar Russ Bixby says:

Yeah…

Their products tended toward the no-pizazz end of the aesthetic continuum, but so does a ’97 Chevy utility truck.

I like both.

2. avatar AlphaGeek says:

I’m more suspicious of the Chinese Norinco 9mm ammo than I am of the Caracal after reading that.

I’m doubly suspicious that this happened in Pakistan, and as a result I suspect that the victim may have gotten a doctored round intended for the enemy-militant supply chain.

Fill in your own definition of “enemy militant”. Small arms ammo rigged with explosive charges has a nasty habit of ending up in the hands of folks other than the intended recipients.

6. avatar rcacajun says:

I’m sorry for the off topic post, but this article needs to be seen with this text filter.

Read thetruthaboutguns with this text filter on it. You will not be dissapointed.

1. avatar Russ Bixby says:

The problem with reading your link at home (snowed in during a power outage) is that I just laughed my ass off, and EMS can’t get here to stitch it back on.

Oh, yeah…

7. avatar Joe says:

What a piece of crap weapon. Everything they make.

1. avatar Russ Bixby says:

Oh – they do alright with textiles and shoes…

8. avatar RKBA says:

Final NAIL in the coffin?

Caracal Recall #2: Caracal “C” Slide may Shatter….