RECOIL Magazine’s New Editor: Iain Harrison

To say that RECOIL Magazine got off to a rocky start is an understatement. Just as they were starting to pick up steam, their editor was roasted for a comment he made about how a certain firearm shouldn’t be available to the public. The backlash was swift and severe, as one would expect from the gun rights community. But RECOIL magazine seems to have put itself on the right track, hiring Iain Harrison for the recently vacated editor’s slot . . .

For those of you who don’t know, Iain is one of the good guys. Despite being from the United Kingdom originally, he’s become a true gun guy. He’s the anti-Piers Morgan. In fact, if the two ever shook hands I’m pretty sure they would annihilate like a proton and an anti-proton.

Iain comes to Recoil from his previous position at Crimson Trace, where he produced the most bad-ass marketing campaign I’ve ever seen. Before that he won Top Shot, and before that he was in the military or something. Anyway, you get the point — he has a bit of a pedigree.

Hopefully this changing of the guard will get RECOIL on the right track. Because as much as we don’t like a well-funded competitor gunning against us, we dislike false flag gun publications even more.

comments

1. avatar David PA/NJ says:

On top shot they said he was SAS

1. avatar Ross says:

That would be the 22nd SAS Regiment.

2. avatar Great Lenin's Ghost says:

if you are such a 2nd A absolutist, why can’t I buy RPGs and howitzers and rail guns 🙂

I smell a conservative hypocrite 🙂

1. avatar Sammy says:

And I smell a collectivist scum bag. Oh it’s you. And YOU can’t buy those things because you are an incompetent troll.

1. avatar Blehtastic says:

Replying to a troll and a troll being incompetent are antithetical, just fyi.

2. avatar Nick Leghorn says:

But… you can…

In fact, I’m talking to a guy about a grenade launcher…

I’m not sure I understand the question…

1. avatar Blehtastic says:

Rail guns don’t really exist yet outside of R&D labs and tinkerers garages…

1. avatar Jarhead1982 says:

ROTFLMFAO, ROTFLMFAO, uh huh, right, guess you worked on the R&D on the control unit for the targeting system for that eh, then again, I would know you personally, I don’t know you!

2. avatar blinkypete says:

According to YouTube you can build your own.

3. avatar 16V says:

Jarhead’s got it. The thought railguns are science fiction is only for those who don’t read anything worth reading.

All this stuff gets publicly released in notes from conferences, white papers, physics and science blogs. It ain’t front and center on WaPo or USA Today.

4. avatar AlphaGeek says:

I could build an Eraser-grade railgun today, complete with a reasonable facsimile of the multi-modal targeting system. (OK, it would be me and a whole lot of Bay Area mad-scientist types. Anyway.)

The problem isn’t the combined weight of the weapon, ammo and imaging system. The problem is that I would be tethered (literally) to a large truck with the power and computing resources to support my weapon system.

Railguns are great if you have some big-ass capacitors accumulating the main-bus electrical output of, say, a USN warship.

3. avatar AM says:

Who here said you shouldn’t?

4. avatar Milsurp Collector says:

I believe RPGs, Howitzers, mortars, and the like are classified as ordnance, not arms. Portable and practical rail guns that can be used as weapons are still in sci-fi land.

1. avatar AM says:

The dictionary disagrees.

All weapons are arms, firearms are just small arms.

1. avatar Jarhead1982 says:

Uh you do realize only a 1″ square piece of plastic is required to hit a ballistic missile at the apex of its trajectory in space and destablize it hence destroying it and the amount of energy and multiple single shot units that size would easily fit in a roughly 10ft dia 20 ft long satellite.

Think the US military would have considered knocking out 6-10 ballistic missiles with one then disposable satellite a fair exchange in cost and resources, yes or no?

That Navy prototype is for a repeatable in atmosphere unit, shooting a massively larger projectile, its a whole different animal.

2. avatar 16V says:

Define ‘portable and practical’. If you mean SAW-sized, yeah that’ll be a good minute. However, the Navy-sized model is very real, and quite functional and practical – for a proto.

Yes, a deployed unit is still 5ish years out. But it’s just science – no fiction required.

5. avatar Skeptical_Realist says:

You answered your own question Lenin.

An RPG is an anti-tank munition. A howitzer is Artillery. Neither is an ‘Arm’. As for railguns, get back to me in about 100 years when they are man portable. Since you’ll probably go reductio ad absurdum with nukes next, those are “strategic munitions”.

Consider yourself educated (just kidding, you can remain an ignorant troglodite if you wish).

1. avatar AM says:

The dictionary disagrees.

All weapons are arms, firearms are just small arms.

2. avatar NickS says:

Not to mention that fissionable nuclear material is heavily regulated already. Unless you hold a federal license (such as that held by nuclear power plant operators), you’ll likely never be able to get hold of enough to create a nuclear weapon. Certainly not through any legal channels at any rate.

The licensing process is covered in 10CFR50, 10CFR51, and 10CFR52. Further regulations regarding the usage, transportation, and other safety requirements can be found in 10CFR20, 10CFR49, etc…

In other words, the “we could all own nukes!” argument is a non-starter due the existing regulations covering the materials required to manufacture them, and the way such material has to be handled. After all, lead and copper won’t kill you just by being in the same room with them.

3. avatar ensitu says:

Actualy cannon were refered to as GUNS for hundreds of years when mounted on a ship. Land mounted cannon were just that. A howitzer on board a ship was called a Rifled gun such as the 38 caliber rifled gun. when the US Army stuck a 3″ Rifled Gun in a tank destroyer in late WW2 it was called a 90mm cannon
        Anyway anti-2A Recoil Mag can FOAD

6. avatar TangledThorns says:

I think local civilian militias should be able to own such weapons actually, even rail guns if they were available. Why does the Feds have power over nuclear weapons and none of the states? Shouldn’t such power be shared with the states? The 2A is about sharing power with the people.

I got your howitzer right here.

1. avatar IndyEric says:

hehe

1. avatar Rambeast says:

Ralph, put away the monster.

8. avatar O.E says:

You cant buy them because they are not for sale at Walmart.

3. avatar Blehtastic says:

I love shooting in a kilt!

4. avatar Lance says:

I knew him and his wife we shot combat rifle matches together. I even beat him once!!!!

5. avatar jwm says:

Who’s still buying magazines? The word holding kind, not the ammo holding kind.

1. avatar Blehtastic says:

We might switch to saying periodicals on gun sites.

If they have an ipad version I might check it out.

In MA, magazines are limited to seven original thoughts. Two, if you don’t count the recipes.

3. avatar Gyufygy says:

It took me at least 10 seconds to realize you meant the dead trees kind. Wow. Y’all broke me.

4. avatar Kelly in GA says:

Who is still buying the bullet holding kind?

6. avatar John Boch says:

Nice guy.

Doesn’t matter. Recoil is shot.

They’re going to need to do some exemplary service promoting the Second Amendment to rehabilitate their offensive past behavior. Underwriting a landmark legal case against the New York State law, for instance, would go a long way to restoring their reputation.

Hiring a semi-famous shooter as editor to rehabilitate themselves and add gravitas? That’s laugh out loud funny there.

A friend brought along a copy of Recoil. I told him what happened earlier and he said it would be the last copy he would pick up. I did notice a paucity of advertising as he pawed through it.

John

1. avatar APBTFan says:

Basically my thoughts. Iain seems like a really good guy but Recoil dug a hole no one could bring them out of. They made their bed and should put that rag to sleep.

7. avatar Joe says:

To buy a howitzer or a “rail gun” you would need to be rich, and since you obviously have leftist leanings I’m sure if you had that kind of money you would be spreading the wealth.. Instead of STI’s

8. avatar g says:

RECOIL is still around… last time I saw a newstand, they put out a pack of targets (fun and practical) to use at the range. Picked it, but I’ve been so busy (and short on ammo) I haven’t used it yet.

As for the big flap over RECOIL, given the current crisis over 2A rights, I think folks finally understand how minor that was in the grand scheme of things considering what our community is facing now – the loss of not only our right to a magazine bigger than 7 rounds (NY, WTF!) but the loss of the right even own a semi-auto rifle.

9. avatar Jeh says:

What the hell is with his rifle?

1. avatar jwm says:

Jeh, he’s a Brit. That’s the Union Jack on his rifle.

1. avatar AlphaGeek says:

Also, it’s not a rifle. It’s one of those AR-pattern 12-gauge semi-auto shotguns seen on the cover of CTD catalogs.

If I recall correctly, Iain even stated that despite much gunsmithing work it still isn’t reliable.

1. avatar Jeh says:

Honestly iv never heard of nor seen an AR-pattern shotgun like that before, I though it was an AR with a large cap magazine. Now that I look closer there is signs of “Not an AR”

My bad

2. avatar APBTFan says:

His shotty looks like a Turkish Akdal MKA 1919.

3. avatar AlphaGeek says:

Yep. It’s a 1919.

2. avatar APBTFan says:

Nothing wrong with nationalism especially for a proud serviceman. He served his country and has every right to emblazon his shooter with the Union Jack. What counts the most is that he’s a bonafide Yank.

2. avatar Steve says:

That’s one of those AR-lookalike shotguns (1919?). I saw an article about it somewhere, might’ve even been here on TTAG.

1. avatar sdog says:

akda mka 1919 semi auto shotgun.

1. avatar sdog says:

akdal, btw why won’t it let me edit my previous comment?

10. avatar _DonWorsham_ says:

What’s the difference between editor, senior editor, managing editor? They list an associate publisher. Who is “the” publisher?

11. avatar Anonymous says:

Excellent!

12. avatar Dan says:

notice they never said jerry tsai was no longer working for recoil magazine. they only said he’s no longer editor.

1. avatar Mike says:

Did they get rid of Tsai?

13. avatar ensitu says:

It’s a gun rag for the Obama crowd, especialy aimed at ex LAPD serial killers

14. avatar O.E says:

The man is clearly a coward.

Instead of acting as a special force in the UK, smuggling guns to the disarmed rebels he decided to make a career of invading with 1st rate tech foreign nations only to run away when the damage his crowd had made was done, and leave the UK in the lurch with the bill.

1. avatar ensitu says:

When the Recoil debacle first appeared I stated that do to the ownership of the publishing house (rabid Obama contributor) there would be a “Re-organization” and that a new face would be hoisted up the masthead, that Tsai would enjoy a horizantal promotion.
      I also thought that there would be a name change for the Rag.
      Well, I was mostly right and it only seems fitting that a Progressive Brit living off the American weal should be the best fitted to resurecting one of the few anti-2A gun mags still out there.

1. avatar O.E says:

These picatinny railed Mannlicher’s your tribe are having difficulty justifying the ownership of are not considered part of the American Wealth System nor representative of its treasury. Plagiarizm though is truly a form of flattery, just ask your Rabbi.

15. avatar Joseph B Campbell says:

OR SOMETHING, or something covers alot of area. Could you be more specific!

16. avatar DrLaszlo says:

I own the very same rifle!!!

…Only, it’s the “Hello Kitty” version…

17. avatar TLPrice says:

Iain Harrison is the worst thing to happen to Recoil Magazine. Jerry Tsai may have had a big mouth but he was a good editor, much better than Iain. Iain is NOT SAS qualified, get it straight, there is a difference. I will never understand what qualifies him as an editor but he should go back to working construction. Iain is poison for Recoil.

18. avatar Mikial says:

I’ve read Recoil for about a year now. Decent magazine as long as they keep their heads out of their collective arses. Although they do cater to the people regularly making incomes in the second quarter of the six-figure range and up.

19. avatar Fusedspine33 says:

Recoil is the best magazine around for the action shooting enthusiasts. The previous editor made a ftiggin huge gaff suggesting certain guns don’t belong in the hands of civilians. Iain being made editor has a great backstory. He like the original settlers of this country fled England for political reasons. The English government demanded he forfeit his guns so he made his way here and jumped through all the hoops to become a citizen, have the ability to own guns and vote. Can there be a better front man for a gun magazine? Recoil recognized the problem with the previous editor and replaced him, they can’t do any more to make things right by the community, other than give no ink to a company like HK which doesn’t work to get all of its products into civilian hands.

Give Recoil a read, you will probably find yourself subscribing. If a gun doesn’t work the let you know as they are not beholden to advertisers.

To those that complain about the prices some of the guns they review. Car mags review porsche, Lamborghini and Ferrari, it’s the same for guns. I will probably never own an accuracy international rifle but I enjoy reading about them as much as I do the latest Ferrari super car.